Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 09:15   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Aveo CNG

My fellow BHPians, I'm planning to buy Chevrolet Aveo CNG 2012 model. I hope I am getting a good deal as price would be sub 6 lakh on road Delhi. Color choice is cream white I think they call it Moon Beam White and Red. I am already using Alto CNG and am pretty confident and satisfied with CNG.
I know the car is discontinued, my other choice was Swift diesel which would cost approximately a lakh more and also waiting period lasting 5-6 months.
CNG harnessing and all other components is factory fit, but car doesn't come with cylinder from Gujrat. The cylinder is fit at an authorized center here in Okhla.
I already have a work horse i.e. Alto and require a better bigger upgrade for weekends and small outstation trips. Boot would also be added advantage to fit in small bags even after cylinder installation.

Please provide suggestions, pros & cons
yogiii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 09:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Aveo CNG

I think Hyundai Ascent is another CNG sedan still available, I think.
You can check if suits you.

BTW, is SX4 also available with CNG?
Old 14th October 2012, 09:56   #3
BANNED

The car is discontinued and i would advise you to stay away from it.
Spares can be a problem and GM doesn't have a good reputation at that.

If you can spend a bit more, i would advise you to go for the SX4 CNG, it is a better, car and with Maruti Service backup, you really cant go wrong.
By the way, in this segment, even Honda is coming up with the City CNG.
Though that will overshoot the budget as well.

Other than the Aveo CNG, only the Accent would be available as CNG.(or probably Accent is LPG, i am not that sure).
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 10:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I think Hyundai Ascent is another CNG sedan still available, I think.
You can check if suits you.

BTW, is SX4 also available with CNG?
Accent is dealer fit a sequential kit while Aveo is factory fit.
Accent was considered but Aveo is overall better build than Accent.

SX4 is available with CNG but On Road Price: Rs 8,37,282 way out of budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The car is discontinued and i would advise you to stay away from it.
Spares can be a problem and GM doesn't have a good reputation at that.

If you can spend a bit more, i would advise you to go for the SX4 CNG, it is a better, car and with Maruti Service backup, you really cant go wrong.
By the way, in this segment, even Honda is coming up with the City CNG.
Though that will overshoot the budget as well.

Other than the Aveo CNG, only the Accent would be available as CNG.(or probably Accent is LPG, i am not that sure).
I personally know someone in GM so spares is not an issue, I hope it will be quite manageable.

As mentioned above SX4 is 8+ I would have loved to go for City but that would be 9+ definitely

Accent is available in CNG
Old 14th October 2012, 10:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Please don't invest in a Aveo now - the car has been around for six years and there's already a replacement on the anvil.

I'd say look for a good low run sx4/corolla and get a sequential injection kit fitted.You'll save money and won't lose as much when you re-sell.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 12:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Please don't invest in a Aveo now - the car has been around for six years and there's already a replacement on the anvil.

I'd say look for a good low run sx4/corolla and get a sequential injection kit fitted.You'll save money and won't lose as much when you re-sell.
A second hand car is a big NO in the family. Next option given was WagonR CNG but I found Aveo bigger and better than WagonR.
I went around True Value showrooms and the best I found was one Silver 2009 SX4 Zxi run 18K for 5.45 Lakhs
Aveo in similar price bracket would be brand new.
Old 14th October 2012, 14:27   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Accent is dealer fit a sequential kit while Aveo is factory fit.
Accent was considered but Aveo is overall better build than Accent.

SX4 is available with CNG but On Road Price: Rs 8,37,282 way out of budget.

I personally know someone in GM so spares is not an issue, I hope it will be quite manageable.

As mentioned above SX4 is 8+ I would have loved to go for City but that would be 9+ definitely

Accent is available in CNG
So Clearly no other new CNG car fits the bill for you, so the Aveo is the only real choice left.
You mentioned earlier that car will be used for outstation trips and will not be a primary car. Then, why would you want to buy a CNG? The Running may not be that high to warrant a CNG kit that you would be paying for it.
and more importantly, the CNG availability at places other New Delhi can be very difficult.
Why not look at a Petrol or Diesel?
Old 14th October 2012, 14:46   #8
BHPian

I guess the AVEO with CNG cylinder in the boot would offer a space similar to a decent sized hatch. A diesel figo/liva/vista would fall into your budget. It could also go to places where getting the CNG is impossible.

If you really want to stick to a sedan, your decision is fine. The car is definitely better build. It would be far better than used cars whose service history would be unknown.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 14th October 2012 at 14:47.
Old 14th October 2012, 15:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
So Clearly no other new CNG car fits the bill for you, so the Aveo is the only real choice left.
You mentioned earlier that car will be used for outstation trips and will not be a primary car. Then, why would you want to buy a CNG? The Running may not be that high to warrant a CNG kit that you would be paying for it.
and more importantly, the CNG availability at places other New Delhi can be very difficult.
Why not look at a Petrol or Diesel?
Petrol is not affordable anymore even on weekends it will pinch down the line
Basically i wanted a sedan with cheap running read CNG at the cheapest price and that also new.
So I narrowed down to Aveo due the following points

Build Quality
Space
Boot
Company fitted sequential kit
Price

My 4 year old Alto has done about 1.05 lac kms on CNG and no problems at all. As I have high running maybe someday Aveo would also be used on daily basis.
Optra petrol was also available for about 6 lakhs on road but then again no factory fitted kit was available.
So it all trickled down to Aveo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I guess the AVEO with CNG cylinder in the boot would offer a space similar to a decent sized hatch. A diesel figo/liva/vista would fall into your budget. It could also go to places where getting the CNG is impossible.

If you really want to stick to a sedan, your decision is fine. The car is definitely better build. It would be far better than used cars whose service history would be unknown.
I have driven Figo D it's okay. Vista is TATA so it's ruled out and Liva has speedometer in the center so that was out too.

I always wanted a Swift Diesel & could have stretched to Swift but we already have a hatch. Maybe when it's time for Alto to go out we will buy a diesel hatch.
Old 14th October 2012, 15:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I don't think you should rule used cars out.

Don't know if you've read this ownership thread, but I think it's the best example of a CNG'ed car on this forum. The Civic is a lovely car, utterly reliable, luxurious, spacious, looks great and is cheaper to run thanks to CNG. And yes, it will be costing significantly less than the amount you saw for the SX4.

I too would advise you to shy away from the Aveo, it is long in the tooth now. Keep an eye out for a used Civic would be my advice, they age very well and what's more it suits the below requirements of yours perfectly.

Quote:
require a better bigger upgrade for weekends and small outstation trips. Boot would also be added advantage to fit in small bags even after cylinder installation.
Of course, the same can be said of a Corolla too, but I just prefer the Civic to Corolla. That's all down to personal taste really.

Good luck and happy shopping!
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 15:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Honestly, I don't think you should rule used cars out.

Don't know if you've read this ownership thread, but I think it's the best example of a CNG'ed car on this forum. The Civic is a lovely car, utterly reliable, luxurious, spacious, looks great and is cheaper to run thanks to CNG. And yes, it will be costing significantly less than the amount you saw for the SX4.

I too would advise you to shy away from the Aveo, it is long in the tooth now. Keep an eye out for a used Civic would be my advice, they age very well and what's more it suits the below requirements of yours perfectly.

Of course, the same can be said of a Corolla too, but I just prefer the Civic to Corolla. That's all down to personal taste really.

Good luck and happy shopping!
I have gone through Frank's thread many many times
I would have loved that an automatic with CNG, absolute bliss in Delhi traffic.
I even found a SX4 Automatic run less than 15k KM 2 year old but owner wouldn't budge from 6 lakhs.
Further I have close to zero experience & knowledge in buying a used car so I thought it's better to buy a new car for the worry-free experience rather than taken for a ride by a dealer.
I did some basic market research but couldn't find a suitable used car. I used go through TBHP classifieds and other websites day in day out but could never be confident enough to buy a used car and the other part of the story is I could never find one which would tick all the boxes.
yogiii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 16:07   #12
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2012 at 20:57.
negativeH is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th October 2012, 16:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I had an Aveo for 3 years and can vouch for the rich interiors and immaculate build quality - if you can forgive the mushy handling, please go for it with your eyes closed.

It is ideal for your unique requirements and the interiors will bring quiet satisfaction every time you ride it.
Old 14th October 2012, 16:18   #14
BHPian

Dzire does not come with factory fitted CNG and for trouble free experience factory fitted CNG is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I had an Aveo for 3 years and can vouch for the rich interiors and immaculate build quality - if you can forgive the mushy handling, please go for it with your eyes closed.

It is ideal for your unique requirements and the interiors will bring quiet satisfaction every time you ride it.
Thanks. That has been one postive vote for the Aveo

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2012 at 20:58. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 15th October 2012, 20:56   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevrolet Aveo CNG

Why spend 6 lakh rupees on a compromise? Presuming your primary running will be in the city, just get yourself a Beat Diesel. Advantage:

- Equally economical and the practicality of diesel

- Superb driveability

- Excellent ride quality

- Far easier to drive in the city

- Modern inside out. Feels very contemporary
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks