Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:27   #1

Please Help in Deciding about ?

Hi !

I am planning to buy a car.

And i am single minded about Old Honda City. I just love the looks and style.

But coz of few question my decision is pending :

1. Which one 1.3/1.5/VTEC (My priority is FE so 1.3 & 1.5 are same as far FE or not ?). I want spoiler and fog lamps which version has them.

2. 2001/2002/2003 ?

3. Upto how many kms done is ok ?

4. From where to buy ?

5. How much sun-roof will cost ?

6. What is average cost of servicing, I am ready to afford any but just need to plan accordingly ?

7. I am but worried about suspension, how can i check that ? And any other list of checkpoints.

I have been till date driving Maruti 800, Indica and from last two years Ford Ikon 1.6.

I shall be highlythankful if you guys can help me in deciding. I just cant spend this summer with a car. Its been long wait for me already.

Regards

Sachin.
Old 23rd May 2006, 01:21   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hey sach, Welcome to the club of ppl looking for a OHC Vtec. But lemme tell you Its very difficult to find a good OHC let alone a VTEC. One of our members from Faridabad is selling his 2000 OHC u can take a look at that in the "MARKET PLACE" Section. I think ppl who own a OHC would be able to comment on the rest of the points raised by you ...

NHC with iDSi engine is good on FE why not consider that ?

Cheers
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

aZa - A NHC is going to be considerably more expensive than a used OHC.

sachin- As I am the owner of a OHC VTEC I think I can safely answer your questions. My friends own/have owned a variety of 1.3's & 1.5's so I can tell you exactly about those too.

1. If your primary goal is FE then you should go in for the 1.3, 1.5 & VTEC have more or less the same fuel consumption. Spoiler was standard only on the VTEC and the 1.5 Exi S model which was offered with the First-generation OHC which also came with standard foglamps and body kit. Foglights were not standard on any other version in the first or second generation OHC's.

2. Year depends on your budget the later the better is the basic rule though.

3. OHC engines & gearboxes are pretty much bulletproof so no concern there. But the suspension is the weak point on these cars and usually requires an overhaul around the 80-90k mark depending on the usage. So if you are buying a car that has done upwards of 70k check if the suspension has been done otherwise reduce the price accordingly. Also check for accident damage on any car that you plan to consider.

4. You can buy a certified Honda used car or look for private cars too but you should take somebody with prior experience in buying second hand cars if you plan to buy privately.

5. Sun roofs cost between 15-75k depending on models and features.

6. Normal servicing costs between 1.2-2k, major services between 4-7k.

7. Check for any clunky noises on bumpy roads and also look out for any noises from the steering rack as that has been known to be prone to problems.

Apart from this its a wonderful car to drive especially the VTEC and I am sure you would enjoy the car.
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:40   #4
BHPian

Hi Sachin, I own a 2001 OHC 1.5 vtec. its Good car i would say.. and you will remain happy (so u get ample assurance, as many keep praising OHC)

I agree with Irghava on how to look for a good one. I searched the market but could not find the 2001 fog lamps.. the dealer will import it for 17K if iam really interested.

The car!
- Light weight design, strong body.. so suspension is bearable..
- rattling sounds occur , but u could get those bumpers tightened
- engine, drive etc are great quality, no problems upto 2.5lakh kilometer
- 1.5-2k on normal servicing
- great drivers car, even a depressed/fatigued person can easily drive in those seats
- VTEC comes with mag wheels (alloys) great feel
- VTEC 1.5 has lots of torque.. so lovely at low speeds
- double protected fuel tanks
- Boot space is so big and nice
- you will appreciated the wide view on all sides...

Take you time to decide and dont run into any of the OHC which have been crashed
Old 23rd May 2006, 14:12   #5
BHPian

welcome to the forum sachin.

my brother bought a 2000 VTEC last year nov for 3.95 lacs. it was the top notch version invoiced originally at 9.5+ lacs. i agree with everybody here that its a wonderful car 2 drive with good mileage.

u will have 2 search the market for a good VTEC cause usually people dont sell this car. try out some dealers or go for certified car as suggested by iraghava.
Old 23rd May 2006, 14:31   #6
BHPian

Hey sachin,
go for the OHC.. its an awesome car.
Have a 1.5 thats done about 70k, Theres nothing wrong with it.. but the suspension is a goner.
So like raghav said take care of the suspension thing when u buy one.

A tip- try pushing the car down with your hands, if the car goes down very easy.. the suspension is gone. Just a little advice.. dont do it from the bonnet or else it'l leave a depression on it(DAMN LIGHT JAPANESE BUILD), try from the rear corners.

Overall its as failsafe as cars get. go for it. And when u press the pedal completely it'l bring a smile a mile wide on ur face(and no I dont mean the brake pedal)
expect an average of around 11-12kmpl in the city, 17+ on the highway.

PS: raghav's car has run over a lakh kilometers.. thats about all one will need to know to be sure that the ohc is bloody bloody reliable. Raghave how bout another quickie drive after 31st

Last edited by Fuelled : 23rd May 2006 at 14:36.
Old 23rd May 2006, 19:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

OHC. Thats my dream car. Unlucky to find one during my search & ended up with a different car.

Guys, what do u feel about OHC seating comfort? (esp in long drives). Sometimes I feel very uncomfortable due the low seating of that car (travels in friends OHC most of the time )
Old 23rd May 2006, 20:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled
PS: raghav's car has run over a lakh kilometers.. thats about all one will need to know to be sure that the ohc is bloody bloody reliable. Raghave how bout another quickie drive after 31st
That's the whole point of the OHC & Honda's in general big mileages are not a problem even when they are driven hard! Mine's done over 100k with no breakdowns till date!! (Touchwood)

And yeah Fuelled you can have a drive once you are through with your exams. Gave aZa & Hellspawn the ride of their lives when we met last time around. Hellspawn drove it for a bit too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Guys, what do u feel about OHC seating comfort? (esp in long drives). Sometimes I feel very uncomfortable due the low seating of that car (travels in friends OHC most of the time )
Surprise: You are right, the rear seat comfort is nothing to write home about. The OHC is more of a driver's car and not really suited to be a chauffeured car.
Old 25th May 2006, 04:14   #9
BHPian

@surprise- next time tell your friend.. he needn't drive the car for long distances and tire himself and that you'd happily drive the car for him ;-)

BUT seriously the rear seats a pretty useless. The only purpose they serve is to scare people in it while u floor the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks