Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2006, 19:38   #1
BHPian

Optra AC and variants in Mumbai

Am thinking of buying an Optra (in Mumbai). Thought of going for the LS and adding on Alloys, engine immobilizer etc.
However the test drive car's AC seemed weak in comparison to the cars even in the basic C segment (compared to the Balenos that I drive currently and am extremely attached to ). Would like inputs from anyone on how good the Optra AC is. Also would like to know what the best price I can get from dealers in Mumbai for an outright purchase for the variants.
My apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Last edited by Ravich : 11th June 2006 at 19:39.
Old 11th June 2006, 21:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich
However the test drive car's AC seemed weak in comparison to the cars even in the basic C segment (compared to the Balenos that I drive currently and am extremely attached to ).
Baleno AC is one of the best. Optra AC is ok, not great. But it'll take you there. Keep the fan setting in 3 for Bombay kind heat...

Why are you going for Optra? If I may know!
Old 11th June 2006, 22:44   #3
BHPian

I wanted a car that would be good to drive, no smaller than the Baleno and within my budget, reasonable resale, not a petrol guzzler. Frankly I even considered going for a new Baleno - but was persuaded by everyone that it does not make sense in the long term. Optra seemed a good compromise. I like the looks certainly. But the AC bothered me a bit.
As for the Baleno, it was a wonderful experience - great to drive, absolutely flawless in my specific experience. Hate to sell it to the True Value eventually to some one who may not even appreciate its qualities.
Old 12th June 2006, 06:36   #4
BHPian

hi Ravich
i also have a optra 1.6 base model...
i have the car in Hyderabad and its hot there...
i never had any problems with the A/C...
i never had to put the A/C fan speed on 3 i always put it on 2....
might be the test drive car was having the problem...
Old 16th June 2006, 10:17   #5
BHPian

Optra AC is really good. In chennai heat, it takes only a couple of sec before it cools. The other thing i noticed was the power of the ac fan on one, is equivalent to my ikons 3.
Old 17th June 2006, 19:16   #6
BANNED

No issues with Optra AC here either in Mumbai heat. Get Vkool or Llumar clear sunfilm on your front windshield for an even better effect.
Old 18th June 2006, 01:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

As far as variants are concerned :
My choice would be : Go for the base model and
1. Get body colored door handles, side mirrors, side strip from dealer.
Would cost approx 2500
2. After market fog lamps --> 3000 approx.
3. Aluminium finish central console -- again from dealer.
4. 15 inch quality alloys and good pair of shoes.
5. ICE as per your liking.

All this would still be cheaper than the LS model.

GO for the high end variants only if you want all the bells and whistles sunroof, etc.
Old 2nd July 2006, 12:30   #8
BHPian

Thanks dipen. Thats what I am planning to do.
BTW , is there any known issue with Optra air intake inlet being too low causing any problems while driving in moderately flooded roads?
Old 2nd July 2006, 13:28   #9
BANNED

Nope. I've had to drive through some pretty flooded areas and no issues, even with a conical filter.
Old 4th July 2006, 17:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

I guess everyone had their own exepriences... I ended up buiyg a Baleno last year after carefully test driving NHC (not VTec..), Optra and Baleno. Was very inclined towards buying the Optra since it looked the best, had the most space and felt most solid with the best (Ok... maybe equal to Balneo) ride...The two things that put us off were

1. In peak summer, with 5 persons on board in hyderabad, even after 20 mins, the AC failed to provide any chilling feeling in the rear... I mean in the same time the Baleno had cooled down the cabin quite a bit
2. Niggling electric problems... the test car I drove had a brake light indicator that would not go off....my friend's optra had a dashboard light system that would not get on....
Perceived resale and GM image were another two issues but the ones I mentioned at the top were the basic reasons we never bought an Optra and decided to go in for Baleno.
Old 8th July 2006, 16:07   #11
BHPian

Absolutely. But I later found out (while driving the same test drive car again) that I had left the fresh air button in the open position- unlike a Baleno's, this is not a lever in Optra. This time it worked fine as good as the Baleno's.

Apart from this, the particular dealers (Udit Motors) sales manager's transparent manner and willingness to let me try the car any number of times ,clinched the issue for me.
But I agree everyones experience varies - I must mention the Baleno that I had for 3 years was absolutely flawless - not a single niggle /rattle during the 3 years on Mumbai roads. The only problem was an AC fuse I had to replace. At traffic signals , the temptation to floor the pedal and show off was irresistible!
But resale and image- the Baleno suffers from the same issues. In hindsight would I buy anything differently if I could choose all over again - no! The driving pleasure and worry free driving and creature comforts that came with it made it worthwhile.

I am sure you would enjoy driving the Baleno.

Last edited by Ravich : 8th July 2006 at 16:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks