Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2006, 12:46   #1
BHPian

now that optra is at 7.25 base

Now that the Optra (base) is at 7.25(TOI), i am contemplating a few cars and have been for a while and the more i read the more confused I get, and now with the optra at 7.25 it is even more difficult. I want a daily driver. with a decent >10 - 11 gas mileage with ac. a nice speed. good interiors, dont really worry at the leather / non leather as the leather i plan to customize. I am looking at the fiesta (diesel) optra, skoda(deisel), civic and the toyota or the dicor( we have one 2004 safari already, and i hate the engine in it )
please do help me decide, tell me the pro's of each car and personal exp. Or should i stay with my lancer (2001) which i love and get the interior done up.

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 12th July 2006 at 12:49.
Old 12th July 2006, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

You have a good sedan and a SUV. Both it seems are doing fine. Why change ? Is it just for the heck of getting a new car ?
If you can live with what you have, spend the spare cash on sprucing up the Lancer .. exterior, engine et al.
Old 12th July 2006, 13:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
You have a good sedan and a SUV. Both it seems are doing fine. Why change ? Is it just for the heck of getting a new car ?
If you can live with what you have, spend the spare cash on sprucing up the Lancer .. exterior, engine et al.
i am pretty happy with the engine of the lancer (done abt 45,000) just a CAI (cold air intake) if i keep the lancer i plan to redo the rear bumper and a dual exhaust setup and custom leather interiors and a new sound system, any one have any info on a good leather plance in delhi ?
Old 12th July 2006, 17:37   #4
BANNED

Hey I switched from Lancer to Optra a few months ago.

The Lancer was way more fun to drive. Handling is more responsive and sporty even if the engine isn't. It's also cheaper to maintain. I used to get 10.5 kmpl in city rush hour with A/c always on. Lancers are also great to modify.

Optra by contrast is a more solid, steady car, but not very happy being thrashed about. The engine is pretty good but the gearbox is wretched. Combined with the heavy weight, it doesn't make for a sporty car. But I really like the way it cruises at high speed, and the overall feel of the car keeps me happy. I get about 8 - 8.5 kmpl in city with A/c, which is more than 20% less FE than what my Lancer used to give me.

So if you want to keep it sporty, stick to your Lancer. If you looking for something more up market and subdued, but with a good, solid, comfortable feel, then look at Optra.

I sold my Lancer when it had done 1,27,000 kms. Yours hasn't even touched 50,000, so if I was you, I'd wait a bit for other options.
Old 12th July 2006, 20:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe
Now that the Optra (base) is at 7.25(TOI), i am contemplating a few cars and have been for a while and the more i read the more confused I get, and now with the optra at 7.25 it is even more difficult. I want a daily driver. with a decent >10 - 11 gas mileage with ac. a nice speed. good interiors, dont really worry at the leather / non leather as the leather i plan to customize. I am looking at the fiesta (diesel) optra, skoda(deisel), civic and the toyota or the dicor( we have one 2004 safari already, and i hate the engine in it )
please do help me decide, tell me the pro's of each car and personal exp. Or should i stay with my lancer (2001) which i love and get the interior done up.

getting >10-11 is not possible with an optra.

Diesel would be a good option but I would wait for sometime before I buy one. Great diesels are on the move in India and a really good example will be out soon. As you already have the safari, y not upgrade to DICOR instead. I have heard of the new SUV from tata coming soon.

Until then enjoy your Lancer and do it up.
Old 14th July 2006, 07:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
getting >10-11 is not possible with an optra.

Diesel would be a good option but I would wait for sometime before I buy one. Great diesels are on the move in India and a really good example will be out soon. As you already have the safari, y not upgrade to DICOR instead. I have heard of the new SUV from tata coming soon.

Until then enjoy your Lancer and do it up.

HI Dude...
well i have a june 2005 Optra.
My dad drives it and is normal Driver i.e light foot when driving...
he get a FE of 10.5-11Kmpl...
well when i goo down and start driving it...
it gives me 8.5-9Kmpl...
and i usually taker her to the red line...(rash driving)
Old 14th July 2006, 10:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Zulfikar,

Nice to know that your Optra is giving nice Fuel Efficiency figures.

But the point is usually the average taken is the rough common FE achieved by all the optras.

Here optra lies around 8-9 while lancer lies 11-12. The reason being smaller engine capacity and light weight.
Old 14th July 2006, 11:37   #8
BHPian

11-12 is very normal with 100% AC going to and coming from gurgaon in rush hr traffic in the lancer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks