Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2006, 06:32   #1

Hi Guys,

Our family (boys ages: 9 & 6) of four will be relocating to India in 2 months and would like to get some ideas from you on which car(s) to buy. Here is my thought process:

1. Buy a small to mid-size car initially. We are planning to have driver 80% of the time and occasionally I or my wife will be driving in the evenings. We will be located in Gurgaon and the commutes are not expected to be more than 15 KMs to work or kids school.

What car should we buy for this ?

2. After we settle down for few months, we are thinking of buying a second car/MUV/van. For now we are thinking something like Innova or Scorpio.

What second car should we buy ?

I am not into looks or speed of the car. More interested in good solid family cars that are comfortable and safe to ride especially with a driver. Our budget is 5-6 Lakhs for the first car and 10-12 lakhs for the second car/MUV/van.

Appreciate your help.

PS: I found this site few weeks back and found tons of great info.

Aarpee.
Old 18th October 2006, 07:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Spend some time on What car section. It should be simple since you've narrowed down your choice. Use search function.

Otherwise this thread has a potential to stretch more than a kilometer to confuse you.

How about a note on your introduction?
Old 18th October 2006, 08:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Start with a Getz (good space) or a swift (style and driving dynamics)

Consider an Innova or Tuscon later on
Old 18th October 2006, 09:19   #4
BHPian

go with Honda City - it will suit you perfectly - a well refined car

not too big for parking space and not too small like other minis around here.

You will not enjoy swift/or getz once you get the taste of Jap or other cars in the US. I have spent time in US also, I have a swift now, but thats just because I am single bachelor.
Old 18th October 2006, 09:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Spend some time on What car section. It should be simple since you've narrowed down your choice. Use search function.
I go with Rudra, better to narrow down couple of cars/suvs based on your interest and need, after that T-BHP will get you the right one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Otherwise this thread has a potential to stretch more than a kilometer to confuse you.
Old 18th October 2006, 09:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Innova, since its largely going to be Chauffer driven!
Excellent value for money, space, power and its a Toyota.
Old 18th October 2006, 11:30   #7
BHPian

Ford fusion looks to be a good car for you, also you may use it like an small SUV too. Though I am not sure about A** and mileage also You too have not mentioned anything on it.

Note from the support team: You don't need to paste a whole quote to make your point. Take that part only you want to high light. Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th October 2006 at 11:35.
Old 18th October 2006, 12:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Aarpee,

Go with what Ajmat suggested. GO with petrol cars you love the ride and
smoothness.

Thats :

Getz (for practicality, comfort, space, solid build, solid car..) or swift (looks, road presense, good resale value etc..)

Innova for practicality, comfort, classleading great space, good family car

Go with Petrol since it will work out for you in long run.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 18th October 2006, 12:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

3 Options from my side

Since you are a family of 4 a getz might be small if all plan to travel along with driver. My suggestion would be to go for a mini suv like Fusion ( a very nice car) but A.S.S is something you need to find out from owners to know for sure before deciding and will fall right in you budget

Second choice is a Toyota Innova only if you do not have parking constraints, plan to go for long journeys often, lug around more people other than your family members

Just to add little spice , why dont you look at the high end version of Tata Indigo ( SX) if you can stand a little diesel clatter, its a nice car with pretty good space

Goodluck and do let us know which one you finally decided
Old 18th October 2006, 13:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarpee
What second car should we buy ?

I am not into looks or speed of the car. More interested in good solid family cars that are comfortable and safe to ride especially with a driver. Our budget is 5-6 Lakhs for the first car and 10-12 lakhs for the second car/MUV/van.
No doubt on your second requirement - it can only be the Innova. Go for the highest spec-ed version.
Old 18th October 2006, 15:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
No doubt on your second requirement - it can only be the Innova. Go for the highest spec-ed version.
exactly my thought!!! i think its "V" spec

and for the first car, it has to be a hatchback definitely, since you are going to have an MUV as your second car....the most spacious one will be ford fusion
Old 18th October 2006, 15:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

For your First Car, you can consider Fiat Palio 1.2 / 1.6, a hatch with all the comforts of a Sedan.
And 2nd Car should be the Toyota Innova without any doubt.
Old 18th October 2006, 21:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you can stretch your budget for first car to around 8L, you have the choice of Fiesta 1.6, Verna and Honda City. All these cars are good. Drive down to the dealers with your family and take a pick. Kids tend to like Verna and Honda City more due to their brighter interiors while Fiesta 1.6 is much better to drive. Like some others said, stick with petrol.

I would recommend against buying Swift because you mentioned that driver will be driving the car 80% of the time. That means, back seat comfort is important and Swift's rear seat is awful. Anyone over 5'6'' will have a tough time there.

If you are not buying the second car immediately, it would be better to go for a car with boot. Aveo or Fiesta 1.4 come to mind if you want to stay around 6L.
Old 19th October 2006, 10:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

A colleague of mine was in the same situation.. He settled with Santro AT and Innova G4. You might go for Innova V since its a fully loaded MUV with airbags/ABS and TCS also I think.. WagonR also has the automatic version.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks