Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2006, 16:47   #1

Hi all!

I had previously posted a thread requesting for reviews on Opel Astra Diesel. But fellow BHPians have considerably weaned me away from the choice.

Now I'm confused between OHC and Baleno. Do guide me further from here.

My basic requirements: Good mileage, ease of maintenance & availability of spares.

More so, because I am a newbie and dunno much about cars, but for driving them.

Budget: Around 2.5 to 3.0 L

Usage: Not for daily use. Unable to predict how much we will end up using it, but surely not everyday.

I went through many previous threads and found that Baleno seems to be a "hot" car! Never knew that before! (Maybe cos am a rookie in this field) But I have a slight preference for the OHC cos it looks better.

I require your views on this.

Also do tell the me the implications of selecting a petrol / diesel car.

I know I am asking for too much in a single thread. But I have never seen team BHP complain. So I am taking the liberty
Old 22nd October 2006, 17:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

well if it were only for the looks id definetly go in for the ohc(crystal lights) but it will be difficult with a budget like tht..might have to put 20 to 30k for an ohc..with ur budget u could well go in for a baleno,its jus simply awesome.
Old 22nd October 2006, 17:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Watching this thread with great interest[read as facing similar dilemma].

Both are equally popular cars at team-bhp since both are equally great cars.I am not able to pick a clear winner among the two so leave the dirty job to my fellow team-bhpians.

As far as petrol vs diesel in your case atleast:
newbie+ [assuming ]not much of driving = petrol engine
yes petrol engine will be the best bet for you.

Ps: @flashy_vishy please dont mind :
An additional requirement i would like to add is Tackling Bad roads and ground clearance wise ,which of the two cars is better.Also comfort wise which of the two cars is better.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 22nd October 2006 at 17:47.
Old 22nd October 2006, 18:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

You are going to have a fun time finding either for 3 lakhs. A Baleno on a blue moon, and a Vtec, never.

Very little to separate the two, though the Baleno's spares are cheaper, if something goes wrong.

At this price, you could look for a 1st gen OHC, non-Vtec. Pretty sweet to drive, around 11 kmpl under normal driving.
Old 22nd October 2006, 19:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

flashy_vishy,

you could get a 2001 baleno for around 3l or a 2000 OHC 1.5 for the same price. between the 2, it is not easy to choose for someone like me. but depending on your requirement & your like, you can choose between the 2. more importantly, make sure that the car you choose is in good condition & not been abused. if you feel the odo has been tampered, just leave that car & find another one. please do post your findings here so that we can also guide you. cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 22nd October 2006 at 19:58.
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Ps: @flashy_vishy please dont mind :
An additional requirement i would like to add is Tackling Bad roads and ground clearance wise ,which of the two cars is better.Also comfort wise which of the two cars is better.
Why will I mind? Your question is very pertinent to the whole of our country Thank you for adding to my requirements.

And am totally non-savvy about cars. I just want to know if it is possible to get a "good" OHC or Baleno at this price (Vtec / Non Vtec / 1.3 / 1.5 / Vxi / Lxi watever )

@esteem_lover: thanks a lot. I sure will let you all know when I start actually looking around for the cars. Am right now in Bangalore. Will come home to Chennai in a month or so. Will start looking around then. Will sure get back to you all with details. Thanks a lot!
Old 23rd October 2006, 12:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

You are going to have a tough time finding a good OHC thats up for sale. Not a discouragement, but requesting you to get prepared for the hunt. A 2000 OHC 1.3 will cost between 3L-3.15 L, whereas the 1.5 will cost between 3.15L to 3.30L depending on the condition of the car and other aspects. Even you could find 2001 Baleno's cheaper than 3L (10k-20k lesser).
Old 28th October 2006, 00:11   #8
BHPian

@ falshy_vishy :: we are in the same boat. Although i cant answer any of your questions, i have a list of my own to ask ..

I am thinking of buying a Second hand car -- mostly for daily driving + few mods + a log trip in every 6 months. The limited choice that i have is between OHC 1.5 and a Corsa 1.4 ( baleno might do if fits into cap of 3.5 lakhs )

The details :
1. OHC -- 2001 model, has covered abt 1.5 lakh KMs. AutomartIndia guys are quoting 3.5L

2. Corsa -- 2003 model , driven 70k KMs - dealers asking 2.55L

I am biased towards the OHC but think the price quoted is bit high. Also, i am completely against buying the Corsa because we already have 2 of the same models :P.
I also want to know whether there's any kind of 'company certified cars' programme available with Honda dealers ? And is it advisable to go thru such programme if available ?

PS: how much should a 2001 / 2002 Vtec cost ??

PPS: Sorry for too many questions ..
Old 28th October 2006, 12:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

@hkanitkar its better to stay away from both these cars at present ,ohc 1.5 @1.5 lakh km and that too for 3.5 lakhs is better to avoid,and the corsa is also not recommended at this point of time.Contiunue your search for some more time and you will get something better.Search well and the earliest vtecs are available for around 3.75L is what I heard.

The baleno[should fit in the 3.5 cap] and the OHC are both great cars and be on the lookout for the two.Honda does have an auto-terrace scheme for second hand cars but dont think they give any sort of a warranty on these cars[I may be wrong].You should meet the corncerned dealer and register yourself for the same.Also you will be knowing of truevalue in case of maruti.[both of these will be more expensive options though].

The OHC 1.3 is a good car for a constrained budget ,the car does produce around 92 BHP so it isn't a laggard and is a cheaper option.

Wish both of you the very best in your search[I myself have been searching for my dream machine for quite some time now].
Old 28th October 2006, 13:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Edit:
Kindly read the above as OHC vtec earliest models for 3.95 and not 3.75
Old 28th October 2006, 14:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

rahul...

Auto Terrace indeed gives a warranty on used cars. hrishi i think i have answered your questions in the PM. Avoid cars crossed 1 lakh kms . Doesnt give a feel good factor. Look around you'll surely find a good car .

One thing I have learnt from my OHC buying experience, the wait gets to you but then patience pays off
Old 29th October 2006, 04:15   #12
BHPian

@ rahul & dippy : thanks a lot guys .. am ready to wait a while.
Btw, honda dealer in pune say that they dont have any certification programme :(
Old 29th October 2006, 05:49   #13
BHPian

Dealers definitely tamper with the mechanical meters, though i am not too much sure whether they can do so with the newer digital ones. But its always better to avoid dealers. Get some magazines liek Ad-Mag and some websites which buy/sell cars. Always try to buy used cars direct from owner. Dealer cars look shinier and sparkling than the ones you see with the owners, but then you see whats the actual condition. Small dents and scrathes doesn't make the car bad. Just a suggestion :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks