Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2007, 14:59   #31
BHPian

@esteem_lover : Ya, i meant knob and not know. Thanks dceite for that. I guess that makes my life easy now. I was beginning to think its a gear prob. Great its not that.

@vkochar : Thanks for the FE

Btw, that reminds me that tomorrow is a strike for petrol owners so I will get some petrol today on way back home. Its elections in Noida tomorrow, so off for 3 days after 6 pm today. Better get the petrol before these guys decide to go indefinitely on strike (one can expect anything these days).

Besides, I dont want to miss the thrill of drivng the new car for 3 days for the lack of petrol.
Old 12th April 2007, 15:28   #32
Team-BHP Support

congratz on your purchase, its a great VFM car, really love it compared to tall boy cars

only word of caution/advice from an ex esteem owner are those tyres, if you are into high speed driving upsize them to 185's really worth it
Old 12th April 2007, 18:54   #33
BHPian

Hey.. congrats and welcome to the "esteemed " club. I was wondering abt the gearknob movment too when I got mine.
I get a mileage of 12-13 in chennai traffic.. But when I drive on the highways ( chn - Blr most of the time ) , the max i got was 22-23 . I couldnt belive that myself. Proof - Nitrous.

Be good to the car and she will be good to you too
Old 12th April 2007, 18:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Neoranjit is dead right.
From 50kph,its like an automatic on the highway with the 5th gear.
Its tooo fuel efficient that after 20+kpl I stopped calculating.
Old 12th April 2007, 19:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Another one bites the bug... esteem bug... glad to know you settled on the esteem.

The esteem looks gorgeous inspite of minor changes to the overall shape and look. Its got a lovely engine, is spacious and etc etc... my esteem is 5 yrs old and is pushing (or should i say zipping) 39000 kms and i dont plan to sell her for another few years.

Join the bandwagon dude. Treat her well.

P.S. I got a pearl silver too. But sometimes i wish she was black.
Old 12th April 2007, 23:23   #36
nbr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The esteem looks gorgeous inspite of minor changes to the overall shape and look. Its got a lovely engine, is spacious and etc etc...
it looks gorgeous, because u own one. otherwise, its a outdated model with limited space. Doesn't make sense to go in for ESTEEM,today.
Old 12th April 2007, 23:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
it looks gorgeous, because u own one. otherwise, its a outdated model with limited space. Doesn't make sense to go in for ESTEEM,today.
I to agree with him
its cramped and you need to be in very good physical shape to get in or get out of car
Its the same model for over a decade if i recall we had a m1000 in 91 and then the esteem came with same shell with a bigger engine

Waisa saying my first car was a esteem(my dad gifted it to me)so i always have a soft corner for a esteem
Old 13th April 2007, 00:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
my esteem is 5 yrs old and is pushing (or should i say zipping)
Yeah, mine is 8 years old & grunting or should i say chugging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
cant agree with the first sentence. The esteem is still gorgeous comparitively or it isn't if you think the santro or the accent are gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
its cramped and you need to be in very good physical shape to get in or get out of car
Its the same model for over a decade if i recall we had a m1000 in 91 and then the esteem came with same shell with a bigger engine

Waisa saying my first car was a esteem(my dad gifted it to me)so i always have a soft corner for a esteem
It still is a better looking car than most of the new cars that have come out since (subjective of course)
Old 13th April 2007, 00:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

If it counts, i still think esteem looks 'nice'.

Drifter
Old 13th April 2007, 20:49   #40
BHPian

Esteem looks good for a 13 year old design...

We had one for 3 years.. problem free but gave us very low mileage (around 9)
Old 14th April 2007, 17:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Well, you almost said it!! Esteem and its owners are of the same creed. Both are highly spirited and damn fast on the move.

Finally both have pretty good shape too..
Old 17th May 2007, 23:59   #42
BHPian

HAHAHA... nice said Whiteknight, even i have bought an esteem in May 2007 and seriously feel it is a very nice car.
Old 18th May 2007, 20:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your great buy ! The Esteem is a great car anyday ! It may appear outdated as it has been here for quite sometime now but the same translates into "VFM" and "reliability". And the looks are decent and doesnt give the feeling that it is not contemporary. I dont think there can be too many people to dislike the looks of the car. Mine is 4 years old and it is in great shape. I can never say 'no' to an Esteem anyday ! It is much better than a lot of other new cars on the road today !
Old 21st June 2007, 22:50   #44

Fully agree with all the views here on the Esteem. Purchased an LXi last week. Great VFM. Forget about the design getting older. It is a tried and tested design still running well. So whats the problem ?

I also have this "irritant" : the gear knob moves about an inch up/down when I accelerate or decelerate. A phenomenon not seen in other cars. Will chase up this issue during the first servicing.
Old 21st June 2007, 23:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Adjusting the idle speed could help reduce this phenomenon.

Most Viewed