Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned sedan: Honda Accord vs Toyota Corolla Altis

If I was in the market with the aforementioned options, I'd in fact be looking for a comfortable, day to day driven sedan with top notch reliability. 'Comfort' to me comes with splendid interiors and more opulent exterior looks (I have a crisis with the look of Accords) too. Hence, my pick will be a Accord 2.4.

Quote:
but the mind is practically sticking to the Altis.
Is that in regards with the low FE of the Accord.? If you can live with 2 - 3 kmpl secondary than the Altis, an Accord 2.4 is the reasonable adoption.

I don't really want to add an another contender here, but apprehensive about the getting bored with the automatic in the long run.? Get a 3.5 V6 Accord, period!
E = mc˛ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 23:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Both the cars you have selected are guzzlers. The Accord will give between 5 - 6 kms/ltr and the corolla 7- 8. Since you have good amount of running - 1000 kms per month, I would suggest a well maintained Octavia.

I have personally owned all the 3 cars named above and can vouch for the Octavia. People have had some horror stories with Skodas but I think those times are over now. Most cabs in Eastern europe are Octavias with several of them having run 3 to 4 lac kms without any issues.

Whats more, because of this bad reputation of the Skoda brand in India you may get a real deal on a used one.
I have a 2011 2.4 AT Accord, and I consistently get between 7-8 kmpl. On highways if driven carefully (AC on and speed between 100-120 kmph, cruise control on as much as possible) I have got 13 kmpl. On one particular occasion with very bad traffic, the FE did drop to 6.5 kmpl.

Yes it consumes a bit more fuel but the 1600kg weight (almost same as the innova) and 6 airbags give it a 5 star safety rating too that even the Camry of that generation did not have.

The considerable bulk of the car is not difficult to manage in general, unless you are short on parking space. Of course you will get much more admiring glances if you are in an accord versus the Corolla.

Toyota A.S.S of course is much better than the take it or leave it Honda attitude (I have a 2009 Innova VX too) and IMHO the general long term reliability might be a bit better too. In terms of engines though, if you like revving up, there is little to beat the Honda.

Net net - only head, One should buy the corolla, but the Accord if One want to please the heart a bit more. Check out if there are any Camry's available too.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 19th December 2017 at 23:19.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 19:19   #18

Help buying a used sedan as a second car

I currently drive a 2006 Corolla (Manual) done about 160,000 kms which still drives like a charm. My running is very limited at less than 500 kms a month in a small beach town in Southern Karnataka (good roads, minimal traffic).

Now thinking about expanding my garage ( I have no problems of parking space) with another cheap yet reliable used sedan (AT) only (<5L budget).

After a lot of research, I have shortlisted the following options.

Upgrade to a 2009-2011 Altis VL AT. Going prices are in the range of 3-5 lakhs for first/second owner vehicles.

Move to brand Honda (I did own a 2005 Civic AT abroad).

a. Third Gen 2009-2011 Honda City V AT. It sounds like a downgrade from a Corolla though but was and still is everyone's favourite in multiple forums.

b. Stay in the same segment and look for a non-abused Civic V AT from 2009-2011 ( facelift with better ground clearance/suspension and Cruise Control).

c. Move a segment higher and get that 2.4 Accord AT 2011-2013 facelift (fuel costs shouldn't be a problem given my minimal running).

Need the forum's inputs to decide. All the above models have 4/5 Speed Torque Converter AT and not CVT.

Looks like the mind wants the Arrow City and the heart wants the Civic and the YOLO feeling says the Accord.
VigKed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 22:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help buying a used sedan as a second car

I'd say no better time to buy an Accord. Honda has discontinued it in India so you ought to find a good example going for a not too crazy asking price The Civic is a great car but finding a good non-abused example may be tough and it may not feel like much of an upgrade and might even feel like a bit of a compromise in a few aspects I for one think that it is more style than substance and that if you want to stick within that category, you really ought to check out the Cedia. The City might be a good car and all but if you compare it to a D-segment sedan it will definitely come up short in every aspect except for cost of spares. The Accord on the other hand is a whole mood. The way the car rides, the road presence, the size of the seats everything feels plush. Considering you own a Corolla which is arguably the most popular car in its segment, I'd say get the Accord since it is definitely an icon in its own right

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th November 2022 at 23:03.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 17:07   #20
BHPian

While Accord is a good choice, you can try for 2010-2011 Camry as well. Reliable, good features and available for reasonable price.
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 23:45   #21
BHPian

I love the 2009-2011 Civic and owned a 2010 V AT model in Bangalore till 2020. As per me, its the most good looking car of all the generations of Civic till date. I had zero issues during my ownership and it was a dream to drive; except for the low ground clearance which was bothersome on Bangalore's mountainous speed breakers. If you can find a good example and not bothered about the low ground clearance go for it.
Madhu_Bengaluru is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks