Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2006, 20:28   #1
BHPian

Used Diesel Sedan in 3.5-4L

I am a petrol head, but my wife is taking up a job that requires 60km per day travels, mostly in the city traffic. Chauffer driven, but at times might be used for any weekend travels. Comfort, reliability and easy to maintain are the key, and the budget is 3.5-4L, closer to the former. I intend to keep the car for 2-3 years, but resale value is not a big issue.

I am looking at Lancer as the prime candidate. It doesnt have too many e-sensors, is old school technology, has clean lines and great comfort. Hopefully easy to maintain though parts may be on the costly side.

My other choice is FIAT Petra D. How is it when compared to Lancer on the 3 counts? Are there any other candidates in your opinion?

Thanks
DT
Old 2nd January 2007, 01:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think you should also take a look at the used accent crdi
Old 2nd January 2007, 09:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

The other options would be the Ikon 1.8D, Accent CRDI, Indigo. But i think you have already narrowed down 2 of the better cars. Both are great cars. You might find a petra at a low cost.
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:01   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Lancer D fits your bill the best. However, it will be a little difficult to find one that has a lower mileage. If you do find one, perfect. Other choices would be the Indica / Indigo brigade.

Lastly, you might want to wait for the Renault Logans reviews.
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:11   #5
BHPian

for me lancer is a good option and accent. but what condition a car would be in for a price tag of 4lacs.
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:17   #6
BHPian

Accent CRDI is a good choice: but it's best driven, and not chauffered around in the back seat. Also finding a low-mileage one is a challenge.
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Indigo is a safe option. Cheap spares.
The rear seat is very comfortable. I have sat in lancer back seat and found it to be less comfortable than an indigo by a large margin, but the reason could be my height.
As for the indigo, you will find a really great condition low mileage indigo LX for 4L(1 year old).
Petra D would be hard to find in the used car market.

If you can stretch your budget another option could be around 30K done elantra crdi. You will need to put in 5L. In delhi we saw many elantras which were 2 years old with 30-40K done for around 5L price.
Since elantra comes with a 4 year 80K kms warranty, they even had 2 year warranty left in them.
But finding one is a problem.
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:47   #8
BHPian

Determinus,
Please look at Accent CRDI, That fits your budget since the engine is Common Rail and relatively new shouldn't give you any problems for next 2-3 years.
Regards,
Mega
Old 2nd January 2007, 13:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you stretch a bit and go for a new Indigo itself? You will get warranty plus if you are financing it, interest rates would be better too.
Old 4th January 2007, 13:23   #10
BHPian

Thanks all for the responses. I didnt list the Accent only because it doesnt fall under the "simple" category. My neighbor sold his 2.5y old Accent CRDi in June 06 for 3.6L (I wasnt looking then)

The CRDi plant is very sensitive to fuel quality and the car itself has too many sensors - a little less dependancy on technology is more comforting Elantra at 5L is very tempting, but the same issue works there too and for once I want to stick to the budget.

In that sense, Lancer looks a good option. But I can only find petrol ones in the market. There are tons of 3 year old *LXi for 3.5-3.75L in the market, but no "d". How is the Mumbai market?
Old 4th January 2007, 14:38   #11
Team-BHP Support

Dont worry about sensor's and stuff. As long as you fill from good pumps like Pure for sure you wont face any problems.
If you are okay with back seat comfort of Accent crdi its a great buy and the engine will last quite long if well maintained.
As for "non complicated" engines, even in such cases many cars have electronic fuel pumps with ECU.
Even mechanical fuel pump driven cars are sensitive to bad fuel with FP overhaul coming up at around 70-80K kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks