Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2019, 11:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Bored of my Honda City CVT. Sell or keep for a few more years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
One mans pain is another mans pleasure, I beg to differ, City CVT is best automatic I've driven, you just need to caress the gas pedal (not floor it like in a manual) to make brisk progress, when you floor it then you'd encounter the famous 'rubber band". I use D only, it's compact dimensions, power and a well matched CVT gear box, makes it an absolute pleasure to pilot in traffic. Added pluses are the seat comfort, space, boot capacity and fuel efficiency.
Genuine question - have you compared with a DSG? I’m torn between my son wanting another car with a moonroof and my own insistence that after the DSG, the CVT feels too dull.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:27   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by imidnightmare View Post
Genuine question - have you compared with a DSG? I’m torn between my son wanting another car with a moonroof and my own insistence that after the DSG, the CVT feels too dull.
Haha whatta dad!
If it makes a difference, I have sunroof in creta (TQ) Still never pick it over my polo GT. DSG all the way.
Although if your son is not one to end up with speeding tickets, the extra features in a Honda City might sway him more than vw build and fast fast fast ness. Also CVT is much smoother in traffic. Furthermore my heavy right foot caused the flywheel and multiclutch to crap out at 35k KMS and it's shuddering again at 47k. Life's a delight with VW.
Ameo is still on original gearbox at 29k and same tires. I am on my 3rd set at 47k

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 12th March 2019 at 11:29.
Old 12th March 2019, 23:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Haha whatta dad!
If it makes a difference, I have sunroof in creta (TQ) Still never pick it over my polo GT. DSG all the way.
Although if your son is not one to end up with speeding tickets, the extra features in a Honda City might sway him more than vw build and fast fast fast ness. Also CVT is much smoother in traffic. Furthermore my heavy right foot caused the flywheel and multiclutch to crap out at 35k KMS and it's shuddering again at 47k. Life's a delight with VW.
Ameo is still on original gearbox at 29k and same tires. I am on my 3rd set at 47k
Son is 4, so I reckon his getting a ticket is a low probability event 😉. That said, he does have a keen sense for car quality and likes the rush of acceleration. The Octy is his favorite and mine in our current stable and he’s not a fan of our City. He actually likes the Rapid. Thankfully it’ll not be his decision that’s final though or else I’d end up with an SLS
imidnightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 04:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Now I still dont like CVT but have gotten used to the comfort of the automatic.....
You're seriously frustrated and your option is a car with a DCT- a pre-owned Vento TSI or a Fiesta. Just sell your city and do a lateral upgrade. Just remember- the two options aren't the most reliable and you'd not be dealing with a 'fill it, shut it, forget it' car.

Just remember:
Quote:
Fast and cheap is not reliable.
Cheap and reliable is not fast.
Fast and reliable is not cheap.
The city is not cheap, it is reliable and it is fast.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 10:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
You're seriously frustrated and your option is a car with a DCT- a pre-owned Vento TSI or a Fiesta. Just sell your city and do a lateral upgrade. Just remember- the two options aren't the most reliable and you'd not be dealing with a 'fill it, shut it, forget it' car.

Just remember:
The city is not cheap, it is reliable and it is fast.
Yep, I have started my journey. Have listed the car on portals to sell. Will sell only if I get a decent price. No point is booking a huge loss, especially since I have spent about 40k on the car post purchase (Servicing, new upsized, tyres, interior detailing, change of all parts which had any potential issue, like keyless censor etc). Only one minor job of the rattle is pending which no one was able to diagnose but thanks to team bhp official thread, fellow BHPians who faced similar problem have identified the simple issue and its solution. Will get this done over the weekend.
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quick update guys!

Sold my city yesterday to a good genuine buyer.

I had started to like the city for what it offered, the convenience part.

The next pursuit begins now! I now need a car for the following usage
- 100km round trips twice a month
- 500 kms round trip twice a year
- Late night marine drive visits
- Emergency trips
- I take Uber / Ola to office, so no daily commute
- I take Uber / Ola to the malls, dont like to park at 7th floor etc and then walk down to the place you want to visit

The above usage translate to the following needs
- A highly reliable car, a fill it, shut it, forget it.
- Has to be a enthusiasts car
- Needs to have ABS + 2 Airbags
- Budget 2.5 Lakhs, given the usage I am unable to justify a budget higher. I can spend more, but there has to be a solid reason for the same

In context of the above, please comment on the shortlist below
Rank 1 - 2011/12 Civics
Rank 2 - 2009-2012 Swift ZXI Models (swift has some really high resale man!)
Rank 3 - Volkswagon vento / polo (not sure of what vintage and what fuel type will I get)
Rank 4 - SX4 ZXI (dont know how much resale will I get post 3 years of usage)

Is there any option I should add?
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Being someone who has just upgraded from a 2012 Swift VXI to a 2019 Honda City iVTEC, I'd strongly advise against this option. Not because it is not a good car, my Swift certainly served me well and could be lots of fun around twisties too- not to mention that it is the very embodiment of a fill it, shut it and forget it car. However, changing from a City to a Swift will feel like a big downgrade for sure, in terms of power, space and general feel good factor. Id strike this off your list unless there is a big budget constraint.

And yes, the Swift does command fantastic resale value. I had bought my car for 5.75 lakhs in 2012 and sold it (in very well maintained condition of course) for just about INR 2 lakhs less, after more than 7 years and 56000 kms.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

The only worthy replacement will be a Civic in my view. But I am just unable to spot a clean car in Mumbai. Most cars are badly abused, especially the ones with leather interiors (V Model).

Any other car which I may have missed.

I have eliminated the Skodas because of obvious reasons though the deals available on them are tempting!
Old 2nd May 2019, 16:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick update guys!

In context of the above, please comment on the shortlist below
Rank 1 - 2011/12 Civics
Rank 3 - Volkswagon vento / polo (not sure of what vintage and what fuel type will I get)
Rank 4 - SX4 ZXI (dont know how much resale will I get post 3 years of usage)

Is there any option I should add?
Have found a Polo Comfortline but the feature list on the polos apparently have been pretty volatile. Can anyone let me know what features to expect on a 2011 August Polo?
Old 6th May 2019, 11:41   #40

Quote:
Now I have two options -
  1. Live with the car to absorb the depreciation hit for about 2 years.
  2. Sell the car ASAP and buy something I like

Any view guys?
I agree that the power response in slow and sluggish in CVT however,try S mode with paddle shifters ( I hope feature is available in VX ). This will definitely improve your driving experience

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd May 2019 at 09:27. Reason: trimming the quote for readability
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Test drove the latest Swift in their AMT avatar. Am looking for a replacement for my city CVT and was trying for different cars. I love the swift (as I have owned it previously) and hence asked for a test drive. The showroom got the ZXI AGS for the test drive though I wanted the manual one.

Test drove the AMT and suddenly started to appreciate the the CVT and its smoothness.

The AMT was horrible and jerky even today (after almost 5 years of introduction in India). The gear shifts were slow and the power loss during shifting, was very very noticable!

Dont know why people buy an AMT costing 8-9 lakhs?
Old 4th September 2019, 23:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hey 2000rpm,
Just bumping up this thread. How far are you with your search? My uncle wants to replace his 2006 City (2nd Gen) CVT. Can you share what you bought?
Thanks
Cheers
L
Quote:
Don't know why people buy an AMT costing 8-9 lakhs?
Me too. AMT on the Alto, Eon, and WagonR are acceptable. But the Swift AMT is not. Reasons I can think of:
1. Price
2. Fuel Economy
3. Most Indians don't care for performance/smoothness
Old 5th September 2019, 09:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hey 2000rpm,
Just bumping up this thread. How far are you with your search? My uncle wants to replace his 2006 City (2nd Gen) CVT. Can you share what you bought?
I bought a 2011 Polo 1.6. Was very happy with the purchase but hit a troubled patch. Currently trying to resolve a Engine oil leakage issue and am having to repeatedly visit the GoMechanic workshop. Already gotten a taste of the high VW maintainence costs.

Lovely car though, a heart purchase. Dont miss the CVT one bit.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 5th September 2019 at 09:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks