Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:30   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
What are your ownership experiences regarding the DiCOR engine, maintenance-wise and performance-wise?
Hi Vivek,

I own an Aug 2007 Indigo DiCOR. Though the car that you are exploring is Indigo Marina; I can help you with sharing my DiCOR ownership experience since the engine is same between Indigo Marina DiCOR and Indigo DiCOR.
I have now done close to 28K on the car. The Engine is a delight to drive. It is a fantastic Cruizer. On highway, the engine comes into its own substance and is a breeze to drive. The variable geometry turbo ( VGT ) helps with low end torque. Hence, city driving is also quite comfortable. However, there still is turbo lag. I have not driven a TDI car hence I wont be able to compare it with a TDI. But since I have commuted a lot on chauffer driven Indica TDI, I definitely 'feel' that VGT has reduced turbo lag quite a bit. From maintenance perspective, I have not encoutered any issues so far. The scheduled maintenance of the engine ( thru timely services ) is good enough. The engine is a bit noisy on high rpm. Indigo also has a very tall First gear and revving engine to higher rpm in first gear is quite noisy. Hence one must shift to second gear pretty quickly. But overall, I love this engine and its serving me very well.

I hope this information was useful.Do let me know if you would want to know any specifics and I can help with that.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

The maintenance part is not very high except the cost of the diesel filter. No broken fuel pipes till now except the alternator belt has been replaced twice and once the vacuum pipe over the intercooler. Nothing else. Regular service cost is about 2K. Have not had the occasion to procure any parts till now so cannot comment. But I did check once and they were readily available. In case you want to ask any specific things please do so.
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:21   #33
BHPian

@pranav_mankad: Thanks for the info. You seem to have used your car sparingly, less than 10K per year. How often does the fuel filter need replacing? Since it is more expensive, does it also last longer? Also, what brand diesel do you use? Do you stick to a particular pump? Have you found any difference when using a premium fuel like Turbojet or xtramile?

wanderernomad: Same questions as to pranav. I'd also like to know what mileage your car has covered, and whether the replacements (alternator belt, vacuum pipe) were routine wear and tear or premature.

I've been scouring the markets for a Marina. Currently, the only one readily available is a 2005 model LX TDi that has done over 80K kms, which works out to 16K per year. 5 New tyres, alloys, everything electrical seems to be working, no oil spraying when engine is revved with the dip-stick out. Performance is also ok, with good pulling. It's the old shape model. It was owned by a defense officer. The price quoted is 2 lacs, which I feel is way above the current market value. A 2007 Marina with only 30K on the odo sold for 2.25 lacs earlier this year.

Should I even consider this car? How much further will the TDi engine last before an overhaul?
Old 4th May 2010, 13:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Mileage is 30K but it has been used in a lot of varying terrains. Fuel filter is needed every 20K of driving. Plus its the dicor filter that is expensive and not the tdi one. Yes more or less I stick to a single pump and use normal diesel. Played around with turbojet and xtramile but didnot find them worth the extra rupee.
Over 80K is a lot of mileage but then I have heard tdi engines running to around 1.5K kms if serviced properly. Ideally look for a car that has around 50K on the odo but if everything else is fine, its your call. The belts were premature as the car didnot come fitted with the proper dicor blet kit initially (as told to me by the service advisor at TATA). Rest vaccum pipe etc are normal wear tear and nothing major to be worried about.
Old 11th May 2010, 20:43   #35
BHPian

I think I've found out what the mech meant when he said that the rear suspension couldn't be repaired and had to be replaced. The Marina has uprated gas shocks at the rear unlike the regular Indigo, and gas shocks can't be reconditioned, right? They have to be replaced, and they're also more expensive than the regular kind. I mean, that's all the difference I can spot after scouring through the Marina road-tests by ACI and Overdrive mags. It also uses stiffer springs at the rear.

This is actually a relief, because I don't recondition shockers on any vehicle, bike or car. If the suspension needs replacement, I'm more likely to see if Koni shocks are avaliable than to recondition the old ones

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks