Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2019, 15:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned sedan for 2.5 lakh rupees?

Hi,

My suggestion would be take car from known friends or known resource.

Or take the car to the nearest service station, for which they charge some amount and they tell you the condition of the car.

Thanks,
dsnaveen21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:13   #17
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance folks, but what’s FNG?

Last edited by bhaskar.guru : 3rd December 2019 at 20:21.
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Friendly neighborhood garage
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 21:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
"If you cant afford a new car of a particular Brand/model, then in all probabilities and with due respect, you might not be able to afford to maintain that brand/model car when you buy a pre-owned one"
Is this true for Tata Hexa as well? I can't afford a new one. I can buy it on loan, but the price doesn't fall in what I feel is affordable for me. I am considering buying a 1-2 year old for 60-70% of the price of new one.
Old 3rd December 2019, 22:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Is this true for Tata Hexa as well? I can't afford a new one. I can buy it on loan, but the price doesn't fall in what I feel is affordable for me. I am considering buying a 1-2 year old for 60-70% of the price of new one.
Nope. My mention was specific to people who buy a D segment luxury /premium sedans/SUV's such as Skoda Superb or a Merc or a BMW or an Audi and such cars that are at times available at a highly discounted price.

A "C" segment and below, pre-owned cars that are affordable to buy would probably be quite pocket friendly to maintain too.

I remember the Glow plugs of a BMW 5 series cost 25K per plug (so 4 cylinder costs 25K x 4C - Rs 1 Lac) while I could change all glow plugs of my diesel indica under 1K. That's how the spares price differs and maintenance costs play a major role later on while owning a car.

But a "J" segment vehicle such as TATA HEXA should pose no such maintenance expenses.
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:27   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
Hi,
We ---snip----appreciated.
Get either. Delhi mechanics are very well connected and extremely resourceful. The vento would be slightly more expensive in terms of fixing up if anything out of the ordinary goes kaput, but maintenance wise, it'd be cheaper due to the interval.
My personal choice in these two would be the city. However, if you're considering the vento, you may also take a look at the fiesta 1.6/classic. Maintenance wise it lands somewhere in the middle, but it's a very well put together car, and good enough for four.
Only suggestion remaining is that spend a bit on getting the car checked out. Don't "fall" for a particular one without checks.
Old 13th April 2020, 17:58   #22
BHPian

Not to confuse you in any manner, but you can get some neat deals on cars like the Renault Scala or the Nissan Sunny, I recently checked out a 2013 top of the line automatic scala with as asking price of around 2.75L and around 45K on the odo. I didn't buy it as I didn't fancy the interiors very much but for your limited use it might fit the bill well.
It's a solidly built car and has oodles of space and from my understanding has a similar gearbox and engine to the honda city.
Many of the parts are shared with the Renault Pulse/Nissan Micra so shouldn't be much of a worry.

I haven't seen many 2011 Honda City's in the 2.5 ball park, but yes Ventos are availible in abundance, I have a 2013 Vento and I can tell you with experience , 8-9 year old German cars can be a pain on the pocket to maintain.
Old 1st July 2020, 10:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
Renault Scala or the Nissan Sunny
Scala and Sunny lets you spend less on maintenance but then their parts cost quite a lot. Almost as much as a Vento. And VW parts are easily available in the market now a days. But this is not the case with Renault and Nissan. Nissan is almost off the market.
TorqueSteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 14:19   #24
BHPian

A nice bargain and you will end up with a Corolla which in my opinion, is better than the City, but not as strong and confidence-inspiring as the Vento. The maintenance will be very less. After all, it's a Toyota. You want something more cheaper to own and maintain? Try for a full option Etios. The car is butter smooth and very reliable. I had an Etios and selling it was a decision I (My dad) regrets now. It was the car which I had used to learn driving. Even though, the city is better in comfort and has more road presence, the Etios is not far behind and also has the advantage of it being a Toyota. Have you seen taxi drivers riding a Honda City? No. Most taxi drivers choose Etios and Logan. Etios won't be a bad buy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks