Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2007, 00:50   #1
BHPian

Advise needed on buying Opel Astra

Hii.. I am in desperate need of advise from you guyz.. I own an esteem 96 model.. No p/s only p/w.. Recently i drove a Opel Astra and i just falled in love with it.. Sturdy like a male.. I am thinking of buying one used Astra.. But i donno nothin about it..
I would like to know about
1. performance
2. maintenance
3. Fuel efficiency
4. comfort
5. Spare availability (i've heard that spares are difficult to find)
6. Value for money
etc..
I am planning to convert to gas.. I would like some comments about how it would perform in gas also.. Will it be a good replacement for my Esteem. Is it a well deserving risk selling the Esteem..
I also heard that there came a new engine before 2000.. Which year was it?? What are the differences from the older one??
Old 29th March 2007, 07:24   #2
BHPian

Just dont do it!!!!

I had one diesel astr before. It is a great car. Sturdy, stable, smooth..etc etc etc. But godforbid, if anything has to go wrong, you are in for a big trouble.

My alternator got spoilt once and can you believe that one small component called rectifier had cost 9000Rs. The whole alternator costs 50,000. You can buy an used 800 for the same price.Here is the approximate cost of components

1) Clutch and pressure plate: 12000 for petrol
2) Frunt bumper with painting:10000
3) Radiator: 25000 for diesel ( must be 18000 for petrol)
4) Window beading: 3000 ( Some one tried to remove the rubber beading on my car once)
5) Speedometer cable: 2000
6) Wind shield washer motor: 2400

I stll love my previous car but I was just too tired of all the expenses.

Regards
Badri
Old 29th March 2007, 09:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Astra is a great car to go from one place to another in maximum possible comfort. But don't expect it to set road on fire in its stock condition.
To answer your points one by one
  1. Performance is sufficient. If you like cruising then its a great car to drive. But if you are boy racer look elsewhere
  2. Maintenance will be expensive. Period
  3. Fuel efficiency - some people tell horror stories about Astra FE. But somehow I get pretty decent FE. About 10 km/l in city
  4. It is one of the most comfortable car
  5. Unless you know the right person getting genuine spare can be difficult outside of GM workshop

And yes Astra was launched with new engine soon after it was launched. The newer engine was much smoother than older one but power output was same. (75BHP for non-MPFI)

At the end of the day despite being Astra owner/lover I would not advice you to buy this car. Its a great car for sure but its time is running out fast. There are better alternatives available today.
Old 29th March 2007, 09:44   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

PLease use the search function; buying a second hand Astra has been discussed extensively.

This thread is closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks