Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2021, 13:14   #1

Should I sell my Ciaz MJD and buy a used Laura vRS?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first ever post on this forum so request you all to be easy on me.

A little bit about me; I am a 23 Year old enthusiast who has just started working after his MBA and based out of New Delhi. Our Garage consists of a sweet sweet Pre Worshipped E60 530i, A Ciaz 1.3MJD Alpha, A Jazz CVT, A Tata Zest 1.3MJD and now sold Pre Worshipped Accord V6 3.0.

Now Comes the Dilemma:
I currently drive a 2017 Ciaz Alpha 1.3 MJD which we bought new. The car has run just 30k and is now out of warranty and trouble free. Very happy with it, excellent mileage, comfort and very economical for me to maintain as now I have taken over all of my expenses.

The click to change to something more fast, fun and European came to me when I got a call from a fellow enthusiast who found one Laura vRS for sale near me.
The car has done close to 90K, Single owner and company maintained with records. It is reported to be free from any defects, new Battery, tyres and clutch with all the records.

I sat down to get the economics right and use some of that MBA here.
If I sell the Ciaz, I will be able to buy the vRS with almost 1.5 - 1.75 Lakhs remaining for the repairs and mods and would not have to spend anything out of my pocket.

Till now everything is in favour of the Laura. Now comes the issue;
How expensive will it be to maintain be it service, spares, insurance, repairs and the ill famed Skoda reliability. The 1.8 TSI and the slew of mods and custom options is very tempting.

I know the fuel costs for me would double as it cannot give me 20 - 22 Kmpl which the Ciaz is happily serving me.

The other thing would be to retain the Ciaz, look for a remap, a good set of 17 inches and a good bodykit with lowering springs.

A normal human will say I am crazy but anyone on this forum will not be the same as others, we are all enthusiasts and think differently.

Need advice on this from you all here considering I've just started working and Savings, Investments and Frugal way of living is also something I would like to pursue.

Any advice, comments and ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
madhav.kaushik is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 13:53   #2
BHPian

re: Should I sell my Ciaz MJD and buy a used Laura vRS?

Even assuming it is a well maintained piece, how are the interiors of the car? The car would be 8-10 years old by now so the interiors will be well worn. It would be expensive to maintain such an old car for sure and it won't be very reliable either. If you're ok with the trade-off and provided the car drives well, a Laura will be a good companion. I wouldn't pay anything above 5 lakhs for it though!
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 14:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would've said GO FOR IT given you are still too young & should go by your hear. However, given the other cars in your garage, is there a real need? The Ciaz as a daily driver + the sweet sweet thingy for your occasional thrills should be adequate?!!
Equus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 15:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav.kaushik View Post
Retain the Ciaz with remap and add a downpipe + lowering springs. Use the Accord for weekends or whenever a change is required.

Many of us here won't touch a 90k km covered vRS that too replacing a reliable daily ride.
Mr.Boss is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
Even assuming it is a well maintained piece, how are the interiors of the car? The car would be 8-10 years old by now so the interiors will be well worn. It would be expensive to maintain such an old car for sure and it won't be very reliable either. If you're ok with the trade-off and provided the car drives well, a Laura will be a good companion. I wouldn't pay anything above 5 lakhs for it though!
I haven't seen the car in person. Will be going for a full check this weekend. As per the details, the Alcantara and leather are in good shape, still I will have a look and update here.

The price you have quoted is the ballpark in which I am looking to buy it but the age and the 90K kms is a worry for me as I won't be able to afford the bills if things go haywire.

Thank You for the mindset. I will update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
I would've said GO FOR IT given you are still too young & should go by your hear. However, given the other cars in your garage, is there a real need? The Ciaz as a daily driver + the sweet sweet thingy for your occasional thrills should be adequate?!!
Wow! I never thought of it that way. Good that I posted this query here. The Inline 6 + RWD of the E60 would be enough I guess but still I would go for a test drive and to look at the car.

The more economical and thoughtful me says retain the Ciaz and mod it lightly, but the Testosterone Boosters in me signal all day to buy the 1.8 TSI and got for a Stage 2 and be ready for breakdowns.

Tough Choice but your opinion is practical and makes sense. Will Update soon and Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Retain the Ciaz with remap and add a downpipe + lowering springs. Use the Accord for weekends or whenever a change is required.

Many of us here won't touch a 90k km covered vRS that too replacing a reliable daily ride.
You are 100% correct on this and the advice seems practical and smart. The reliability and costs are something that scare me off since I have started to pay for my own self and not rely on my family anymore. The real value of money and the places where you can put it is something that I now understand better.

I will keep you updated on this.

Thanks!

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid submitting posts one after the other. Use the EDIT and QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post especially when replying to multiple posts. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st July 2021 at 17:34.
madhav.kaushik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 17:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The click to change to something more fast, fun and European came to me when I got a call from a fellow enthusiast who found one Laura vRS for sale near me.
The car has done close to 90K, Single owner and company maintained with records. It is reported to be free from any defects, new Battery, tyres and clutch with all the records...

I sat down to get the economics right and use some of that MBA here.
If I sell the Ciaz, I will be able to buy the vRS with almost 1.5 - 1.75 Lakhs remaining for the repairs and mods and would not have to spend anything out of my pocket.

Till now everything is in favour of the Laura. Now comes the issue;
How expensive will it be to maintain be it service, spares, insurance, repairs and the ill famed Skoda reliability. The 1.8 TSI and the slew of mods and custom options is very tempting...
Hi there,

I recently bought a 2009 Laura 1.8 TSI and in the process of fully restoring the car. I bought it just so I can get my hands dirty myself and learn the nitty-gritties.

It was in decent condition when I bought it, but there are several things to be concerned about. While I have spent a few lakhs on modifications already, I have also spent a few lakhs on just maintenance and upkeep. I will make a detailed thread soon.

Mechanical work:

1. Faulty / fried piston rings - leads to extremely high oil consumption. If the car consumes about 750 ml to 1 liter of oil for every 1000 km, you need to walk away from this vehicle unless you are willing to rebuild the engine. Oil consumption of around 500 ml, or lower, per 1000 km is what you need to look for.

2. Timing-chain and tensioner service - It is absolutely mandatory that the complete timing chain-tensioner overhaul is done. This is going to cost you at least 50k. If not done in a timely manner, your chain could slip causing the valves to meet the pistons resulting in bent valves and a failed engine that requires a head rebuild.

3. Water pump - A common sore spot of most VAG cars. Not expensive to replace but very laborious.

4. Oil cooler - Another common sore spot of most VAG cars. Again not expensive but very laborious to replace.

(usually, it is recommended that both the water pump and oil cooler are replaced when the timing chain service is done)

5. PCV - Another common choke-point in the engine. Strongly recommend that the PCV is looked into. Check for a loud audible 9almost electric) whine from the engine.

6. N80 Purge Valve - Small component that again is critical for normal functioning of the engine and is often choked.

7. Carbon/Charcoal Canister - Usually choked by the time the car has done 50-60k on the ODO. best to replace especially if you are tuning the car.

8. LPFP/HPFP - Fuel pumps and ancillary sensors often fail especially if the car has been driven with low fuel for long periods of time.

9. Radiator & cooling system - Critical especially considering that these TSI engines run really hot.

10. Intake Manifold - For a high mileage car one can expect a certain amount of carbon deposits in the manifold. Recommended that the same is cleaned.

There are so many other components to be concerned about, like the brakes, suspension, clutch and flywheel, etc. it's best you get a thorough diagnosis of the car at a reputed workshop in Delhi before buying the car.

Long story short, if you are not someone who enjoys getting your hands dirty from time to time or if you are on an extremely tight budget, this is not the car for you. You need to be prepared to spend at least 5-6 lakh on the car, over a period of 3-4 years. But if you get it right and do it well, it will be a experience worth cherishing for a lifetime. I do not regret my purchase even for a second.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st July 2021 at 17:58.
suhaas307 is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 18:27   #7
BHPian

Laura vRS is probably one of my favourite rides out there. We bought a 2.0 TDI Laura in 2009 but all I craved was for the vRS. Even though the engine is a gem and the car is beautiful, I would never think of buying one which has 90k on the odo. No one in the team will buy a German car especially a vRS which is 10 years old with 90k on the odo. If it were a project car where you had a huge price bracket then you could buy one and upgrade the engine to the max. However, considering you are going to sell a practical car just because you want a 10+ year-old Skoda then I'm sorry to say but it will cause you a lot of trouble the moment you buy it and drive off. What I'd suggest you is to mod your Ciaz tastefully. Remap, Wheels and exterior (lights, kits, grille, etc.) will be the best option. You have the E60 which is mod-friendly too, So if you want a car that gives you kick in the pants feel then mod your E60 for more performance and stick to your Ciaz for your daily.
speedfreak77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 22:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

A Laura vRS is any day a more fun car than the Ciaz and there is no question about it. But the fact that you have a Ciaz from day one of it's ownership and trading that for a used example makes things a bit difficult. There are two ways to this.

Money and time is not an issue - Go for the vRS eyes closed. Maybe you have a driver at home who can take the trouble of getting the car to the FNG whenever a need arises, then it is fine. Else if you have to run behind everything, do consider retaining the Ciaz. Like you said, getting some upgrades on that car can bring about some changes. Hold onto it for a few more years and then get a new car which can satisfy the cravings.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 22:59   #9
BANNED

Firstly hats off to you for maintaining the E60.
Coming on to your dilemma, Skoda vRS is an excellent car mechanically. The 1.8 tsi is a solid reliable motor. Moreover, it comes with a 6-Speed manual instead of that dreaded DSG. So it's a very tempting option.

But then come the hard facts. Skoda aftersales is a nightmare. The car in question is a discontinued car. It had a lot of imported content too. So even if you are ready to bear the ridiculous spare part costs, spare part availability is something that'll be extremely worrisome.

Better option would be to get a used Honda City and modify that. The 1.5 i-VTEC motor is extremely tunable. And Honda aftersales is also a big relief over the SKoda.

Else, sticking to the CIAZ is another viable option.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd July 2021 at 09:11. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
CarMaster_059 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 23:08   #10

Note from Support: Please do not quote large posts entirely. Post only relevant portions. Also, QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE for quoting multiple posts. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I recently bought a 2009 Laura 1.8 TSI and in the process of fully restoring the car. I bought it just so I can get my hands dirty myself and learn the nitty-gritties.

It was in decent condition when I bought it, but there are several things to be concerned about. While I have spent a few lakhs on modifications already, I have also spent a few lakhs on just maintenance and upkeep. I will make a detailed thread soon.
Firstly thank you so much for this piece of information. I mean this is something that really has helped me and will help many others who are in the market for a used VAG example like this.
That is some work and money spent on a car. Hats off to you and all the best for the upcoming mods. The whole community would be very much interested in your thread related to the Laura and its upgrades.

Now coming to my situation, Completely agree with you and all the others. I cannot afford to spend anything close to that amount and hence would be miles away from buying it. A TD on the other hand can be done just to get to know what that car feels like and why people are crazy for them.

Again, Thank you so much for the detailed information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak77 View Post
You have the E60 which is mod-friendly too, So if you want a car that gives you kick in the pants feel then mod your E60 for more performance and stick to your Ciaz for your daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
A Laura vRS is any day a more fun car than the Ciaz and there is no question about it. But the fact that you have a Ciaz from day one of it's ownership and trading that for a used example makes things a bit difficult. There are two ways to this.
Thank you so much for the views and ideas. The most practical thing which will be easy on my mind and my pocket will be to retain the Ciaz and vary away from the Laura. I do no have the funds to maintain and mod the car and at the same time save and invest for my future. A TD will be done though to just get to know the car and see how it feels and drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMaster_059 View Post
Firstly hats off to you for maintaining the E60.
Thanks for the view and idea.
The thread on the E60 and its N52 3.0 I6 is coming soon.

The practical view here comes up to retain the Ciaz and mod that. A City is something that we've already had in the family before and its something that doesn't tickle my bones. Churning out more horses from that 1.3MJD would be my next goal once I save some money.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd July 2021 at 00:34. Reason: Quotes trimmed & merged. See note.
madhav.kaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Need advice on this from you all here considering I've just started working and Savings, Investments and Frugal way of living is also something I would like to pursue.

I know exactly what you're going thru. I did some really stupid stuff at your age but the good part is that you have thought of all the angles and by that way answered your own Q. You have money left after the exchange, but, would the reverse be possible ? Don't swap a current model for one that isn't.

Such offers will keep coming your way. Today it's a vRS, tomorrow it'll be something else.
vinu_h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 17:44   #12
BHPian

Re: Should I sell my Ciaz MJD and buy a used Laura vRS?

A used car is a used car and will come with its own issues. Especially a 90k driven car and on the road for over a decade. You will get a lower run Laura 1.8TSI if at all you are looking for a project car. Else walk away from this.

Rather suggest to pimp your Ciaz with a remap and some basic mods and enjoy it for a few more years to come.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

You contradict yourself - talking about savings, frugal lifestyle etc while considering buying an old used Skoda. :P

There aren't better daily driver cars (comfort + nice interior + good NVH + VFM + decent performance + FE + cheap to maintain) compared to the Ciaz. Don't sell it - and don't modify it.

If you need a replacement for your Accord V6, Buy the Laura and consider it a toy (low mileage use for the weekends, late night drives etc), and use the Ciaz for the regular commutes.

If you have other constraints(like garage space), sell the Tata Zest.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 23rd July 2021 at 10:11.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:17   #14
BHPian

How about something just as fun with a little less headache and potential risks? An S-Cross 1.6 might fit the bill. Similar maruti reliability (Albeit more expensive to maintain), enough practicality to be a fitting replacement to the ciaz and enough Torque to satisfy the enthusiast in you.
brohanv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:28   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Let me make it simple:

Ciaz +ves:
Super reliable.
Economical repairs and maintenance.
Good resale value.

Ciaz -ves:
Just another Maruti.
Boring to drive.

Laura +ves:
Hoot to drive, sometimes this is enough alone.
A much safer car.
Relative exclusivity on the road.

Laura -ves:
Unreliable. It's not a BMW. Even the best maintained Skoda will throw issues at you.
Insanely high priced parts, especially with the country's hate for imported things.
Expect a lead time of 2-3 weeks for even for the most basic parts as they order by VIN.
Service will be cheaper with FNGs but do you really trust them? Will be expensive and time consuming regardless.

I hope this helps
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed