Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2021, 19:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Upgrade from a run-of-the-mill car to a premium German sedan

If I were Him, my choice would be a 2016ish Jetta higline Manual transmission to avoid any DSG issues(if any) although I heard the DSG in jettas are relatively reliable. Well, why the slightest worry of reliability? Go for a Jetta 2.0 TDI highline. Safe car for your family and friends. I've myself been eyeing one of those gorgeous post 2016ish Jettas for a long time. If I gather up enough funds in the next 2 years I am still gonna go for a Jetta 2.0TDI manual transmission without even thinking twice. With pre inspection and everything of course.
Gorkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 23:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
How about looking at an Audi A3 from around 2015? They have a timeless shape, the 2.0 TDi with the S-tronic transmission is a cracker of an engine and the Audi also gets independant rear suspension which the Octavia TDI does not have. There are many examples of the mid premium Plus variant available in the price range mentioned.
Isn’t Audi A3 TDI transmission same as Octavia TDI - 6 speed DSG?
Old 4th September 2021, 00:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post
If I were Him, my choice would be a 2016ish Jetta higline Manual transmission to avoid any DSG issues(if any) although I heard the DSG in jettas are relatively reliable. Well, why the slightest worry of reliability? Go for a Jetta 2.0 TDI highline. Safe car for your family and friends. I've myself been eyeing one of those gorgeous post 2016ish Jettas for a long time. If I gather up enough funds in the next 2 years I am still gonna go for a Jetta 2.0TDI manual transmission without even thinking twice. With pre inspection and everything of course.
Manual transmission makes most sense except the water pump failure issue in 2.0TDI.
Old 4th September 2021, 00:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
From what I have read over a period of time, Pre 2011 N47's that made 130Kw or 177bhp, were the ones plagued with these issues. N47T which was released in March 2011 made 135kw/184bhp was supposedly free of the timing chain niggles.

Also most manufacturers in Europe have insanely long oil change intervals

I own an Alfa Romeo 159 in Australia and it's engine is supposedly plagued with issues of timing chain stretching, not to mention, the factory specified oil change interval is 30K kms

My Car has done 175K kms now on factory chain and oil has been changed every 10K kms.

That reminds me of an incident, a friend had picked up a brand new Renault diesel vehicle which again had a 30K oil change interval, I still remember the engine was making timing chain noises by the time it reached 25K on odo.

The key for a healthy timing chain/engine for any vehicle is regular oil changes every 10K kms. with good quality oil.
Yeah that's true. I'd personally change oil every 5k kms/ 6 months in these cars and use the highest quality engine oil like Mobil1 advanced full synthetic.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 08:34   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Isn’t Audi A3 TDI transmission same as Octavia TDI - 6 speed DSG?
Yes, it is the same gearbox (DQ250) - 6 speed wet clutch. However, the A3 35 TDI has an independent suspension at the rear compared to the Octavia TDI which has a torsion beam.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 23:02   #36

I think these are the best that you can enjoy-Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG/MT, VW Jetta 2.0 TDI, Skoda Superb 3.6 v6 TFSI.
PetroNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 23:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Thanks for all the replies friends. He's currently zeroing in on a single owner 85K run 2013 VW Jetta AT TDI Highline. Negotiations are on after the car has been duly inspected and service history verified. Shall update on the progress.
The deal fell through since the owner was not budging to a reasonable price. So the hunt continues.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 18:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Update : My friend is actively considering pre owned Jeep Compass too. He has taken a test drive and fell in love with it instantly with a positive nod coming in from family members as well. He drove a manual and now the question is AT or MT. He's fixed on diesel if it's Compass. He's not a driving enthusiast and at best a sedate driver.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 12th September 2021 at 19:04.
Old 25th November 2021, 08:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for not updating this thread for a while. My friend picked up a 2015 VW Jetta TDI DSG, Highline few weeks back. But the story doesn't end there and there's a twist to the tale . He still couldn't get over his orginal preference and special inclination for Laura. Guess what, he picked up a 2012 MT Laura too with my help. The ex owner is Bhpian Behemoth. How that event unfolded is in the below post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5201988 (Skoda Laura Ambiente TDI MT - Ownership Experience. EDIT: Now sold)

Now my friend who had set out to buy a D segment German car has ended up with two of them. Had there not been a delay in the Laura transaction, he wouldn't have picked up the Jetta. Jetta was bought in the period when it became clear that Behemoth's Laura wasn't available. If not for this particular car, he may not have looked out for some other Laura after having laid hands on Jetta. He got interested only because it's a known car and owner. Presently, he intend to use both cars for some time and may take a call later to sell off one(my guess is if at all that happens, it'll be the Jetta) if he feels two cars doesn't make sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrade from a run-of-the-mill car to a premium German sedan-img20211031wa0043.jpg  

Upgrade from a run-of-the-mill car to a premium German sedan-20211125_090112.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th November 2021 at 09:08.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 13:40   #40
BHPian

Sorry for hijacking this thread!

We have a 2014 Honda City iDTEC VMT at home, which was bought preowned in 2017 when the odo was at 35k Kms and has run 160k Kms (159k Kms to be precise) and running in good condition except it needs timing kit replacement, which I'll be getting during next service and recently got it restored by getting repainted the whole car and also, got the tyres replaced recently along with engine mounts and gearbox mounts. Almost an year and 25k Kms ago, got the whole suspension overhauled.

After seeing the used car prices in Delhi/Mumbai, I got an itch to get one replacing our City Diesel with any of Diesel AT (sedan or SUV) and willing to source one from any of these cities and the budget I've set is ₹10-12L and can extend the budget till ₹15L tops if needed and get it sorted mechanically as well as cosmetically.

Which one should I look for? Since the ban on Diesels aren't happening in Hyderabad anytime soon, willing to buy one and use it till it lasts before shifting to EV.

But this will happen in an year down the line since we have different plans now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks