Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2007, 13:26   #1

Right price for an Ikon 1.6 NXT

Hi people,
I have just had a look at a Ford Ikon 1.6 NXT at a used car showroom and I'm not sure if it worth going for.
Here are the details of the car :
Year : september 2004
Done : 50000 kms
color : Dark blue (Its a very rare limited edition color and I love it!)
Accessories : Has all accessories like leather seats, cd player with option to attach LCD screen, extra lights, sophisticated tyres all in all fully loaded and looks funky. The dealer claims that the owner has spent about 70k on the accessories.
Tax and insurance : Paid
Fule type : Petrol
Price : 4.35 Lakh but negotiable (May come upto 4)
Current price of new car : apprx 6.85 lakh
I would like to use the car for mostly city driving (in Bangalore) and resale value is important for me.
So, help me with your valuable advice!
Thanks in advance,
aparna
Old 23rd May 2007, 15:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Pal, the 1.6 is no longer available, and has been discontinued. I guess the statement "Current price of new car : apprx 6.85 lakh" doesnt hold good now.
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

And if you are looking for resale value, run as fast as you can to the nearest maruti showroom specially the 1.6 will fetch nothing in resale value since it has been stopped. BTW, where did you get that 6.85 price from ? One serious bit of advice, ignore the bells & whistles when you are searchin for an used car. Look under the hood & under the chassis.
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

price is ok if you can get the car at 4 lakhs BUT resale??? just run to a maruti pre owned showroom as e_l suggested
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:20   #5
BHPian

4.35 L for a 2004 model is too high, even with all the goodies. I have seen 1.6 seeling anywhere between 2.5 L to 3.5 L in Banglalore depending on the model and condition. Also the value when you sell the car will be bad.
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:26   #6
BHPian

I had an ikon 1.6 zxi which gave a lot of problems and it fetched next to nothing when we sold it with just 30000 kms on the odo! According to me the resale value of ikon's is really bad..I would advice you try to look for an alternative
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:26   #7
BHPian

50,000 km in 2.5 years is on the higher side.
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:31   #8
BHPian

Just to give u an idea on the price, my colleague bought a Ford Ikon 1.6 Sxi 2003 November model, 32K Kms - Good condition, Fully Loaded (alloys, 6cd changer, power windows/steering, adjustible driver seat etc.) for 2.3L. I had the price checked by CitiFinancial - Fair price for a good condition 2004Jan model as per them was 2.6L

Guess there's a lot of scope for bargaining at your end
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:35   #9
BHPian

You can check the value of any car at Used Cars, New Cars, Buy Car, Sell Car, New Car Pricing, Used Car Values, Automobiles, Car loan, Used cars for sale, used car - CarWale.com India... although it overstates the value most of the time, I've found that the lowest price quoted by them (i.e. dealer's price for a 'fair' condition car) is quite close to the prevailing rate in the market... at least in Kolkata.
Old 23rd May 2007, 17:11   #10
BHPian

Avoid a Ford if resale value is important to you. Go for a popular vehicle (Maruti/Tata).
Old 23rd May 2007, 18:00   #11
BHPian

@Ferrarimaniac

What problems did you get in your Ikon 1.6 zxi?
Old 23rd May 2007, 21:00   #12

Thanks a tonne!

Thanks to all of you for helping me make the choice. I have decided NOT to go for the car. Infact, I have decided to take Ikon 1.6 NXT off my list because of its low resale, high maintenance and for the fact that it's not under production any more.
So now, given my preferances (Decent resale value, mileage of 10+ in city, average maintenance costs, budget of 3.2 lakh) can any of u suggest a car that would fit in?
Again, thanks in advance!
aparna
Old 23rd May 2007, 21:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

May I ask, even if you have decided against it now, what was it that was pulling you to the Ikon 1.6 given that you have countless used car dealers who sell cheaper options with smaller engines that are more fuel economic and whose spares are also cheaper.

Is it driving pleasure? If that is the case, let me just stop saying that the Ikon is a pleasurable car to drive even when you are not driving the wheels off the car.

I have a similar piece, gives some problems though, but then I love it.

Another similar car would be the Palio 1.6 but then Resale again is the issue.

Used Baleno could be a good choice, but not really sure how Baleno holds up over the years with non-enthusiastic owners.
Old 23rd May 2007, 22:38   #14
BHPian

Insurance counts?

I see that you have mentioned that tax and insurance is paid.
Just wanted to check; does insurance count? I thought you will have to get it done again once you transfer the can in your name.

Friends, correct me if i am wrong.
Old 23rd May 2007, 23:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparnap View Post
Thanks to all of you for helping me make the choice. I have decided NOT to go for the car. Infact, I have decided to take Ikon 1.6 NXT off my list because of its low resale, high maintenance and for the fact that it's not under production any more.
So now, given my preferances (Decent resale value, mileage of 10+ in city, average maintenance costs, budget of 3.2 lakh) can any of u suggest a car that would fit in?
Again, thanks in advance!
aparna
Everyone here would be able to help you, if you could describe what you want from the car...

Is a boot necessary??? or would a hatch do???

If a hatch, you could get your hands on a Swift ZXi at that price... Would fetch good resale value, is loaded to the maximum features possible, mileage of 10+ in city and average maintainence costs...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks