Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2007, 16:12   #1
BHPian

Which SUV to go for? EDIT: Bought Holden Barina / Chevy Aveo instead!!

Hello Team!!

Its Mendi here..

been out of touch for a long time here bcoz of the reason that I relocated to the country of Kangaroos Australia...

I am in a predicament of which second hand SUV/cars to go for. I have been able to shortlist a few of my favourite likings which are available here in Melbourne. My spend is going to be around $18k AUD [+/- 2k]. The cars which I like as for the looks are

1. Honda C-RV [any model] [2354 cc]
2. Nissan X-trail [2488 cc]
3. Suzuki Grand Vitara [the new model]

I believe I might be driving the car for around 20-25 city kms on a daliy basis as my office is not too far and I might be looking for a long, out of city drive once in three months which does not dominate my decision to select the car to a large extent.

I really do not know much about the maintanence charges of these cars, even back in India [though we do not have Nissan Xtrail there but I have heard that it is more economical and efficient than CRV].

I am really fascinated about a good looking car and both CRV & Xtrail seem to be satisfying my first preference. Grand Vitara somehow seems to me as out of my reach as I am not able to find any resale car in my range.
Secondly as for the space is concerned, I believe both are again very similar and it really is not very major concern for me even if its not that much. I am also not too concerned about the resale value.

The part where I need help is first to analyse the Engine specifications as to both these are 4 cylinder cars and I am told that its better/preferred to buy a 6 cylinder car. I dont know why as I am not that deep knowledgeable about these details.

Back in India I have a Indica V2 and an Esteem Lxi and I was quite a lot satisfied by both their performances.

Also please share the mileage and maintanence costs involved with these cars if you do know. If some body could just share their experiences with any of these two cars, I would appreciate that.

ps.. Somebody also said that these two doesnt even belong to the SUVs family but to 7 seaters/AWD/4WD...?? doesnt make any difference to me though....

Regards
Mendi
Old 10th June 2007, 14:01   #2
BHPian

Any problems??

Hello??
Is there any problem with my request people??
I would really appreciate if somebody would throw some light on my queries above...
Regards and thanks in anticipation...

Mendi
Old 10th June 2007, 15:52   #3
BHPian

Nissan Xtrail and the grand vitara would be better at off roading. In case you want to go to the Ozz outbacks you need to have an SUV that can pull a trailer. Why arent you considering a Land cruiser. As per my knowledge all these SUVs (outside India ) come with a 4x4 drive. So test drive all of them and go for the one which suits the best to you.. I would have gone for xtrail or for a Land Cruiser.
Old 10th June 2007, 16:52   #4
BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Nissan Xtrail and the grand vitara would be better at off roading. In case you want to go to the Ozz outbacks you need to have an SUV that can pull a trailer. Why arent you considering a Land cruiser. As per my knowledge all these SUVs (outside India ) come with a 4x4 drive. So test drive all of them and go for the one which suits the best to you.. I would have gone for xtrail or for a Land Cruiser.
thanks rishi..
I dont have any plans to pull a trailor or any caravans here as for the simple reason that I dont own one and also dont see myself buying one in the near future. The reason to go for one of these cars is purely looks as I dont want to buy any of the sedans.. just need a change probably as I can put...
I had a very micro analysis of all Landcruisers and Pajeros also, but my range allows only 1997 models [which wud have already run around 180000 - 250000 kms]of these two cars. On the other hand with the same budget I can get 2003-05 Automatic 4X4 models of Xtrail and CRVs [clocked around 60000 to 120000 kms] ... which makes xtrail and crv a better option for me..
I am confused over CRV and Xtrail actually, as to which one could be more efficient and low on maintanence costs..
another thing which I have noticed is that the Automatic model of CRV doesnt have the normal standard gear clutch, it has a gear clutch smaller one attached on the steering bar [similar to good old fiat] which seemed to be a bit odd to me... And Xtrail , i could nt find any problems so far. Infact, the dashboard looks and tacho is much better in Xtrail. btw both seemed to be equally comfortable and powerful. At this stage I am more inclined towards Xtrail but still not sure of the engine performances of these two cars in comparison....
regards
Mendi
Old 10th June 2007, 17:59   #5
BHPian

Well we dont see too many of xtrails here . Reason being its more expensive than CRV and Honda is a better brand to go for in India. But in Ozz there shouldnt be such a problem with getting an xtrail. I think xtrail is a better bargain. I dont know about the fuel efficiency figures. Considering the CRV coming from Honda stable, it would most definitely be more efficient than the xtrail. In my opinion the xtrail is better vehicle than the CRV, so i would suggest you go for the xtrail.
Old 10th June 2007, 18:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

XTrail is way ahead of CR-V in overall performance. Even though you may not need the off-road capabilities everyday, it can get you out of sticky situations, which the CR-V can't. The CR-V is only a pretender x-over, nothing distinctive, more like a car with large wheels and a higher roof.

I am sure there are other serious alternatives too in that budget (more or less): the Mitsubishi Montero, Toyota Landcruiser, GM Captiva, Hyundai / Kia, Subaru ... all very capable brutes with cabin finesse. If you are looking for a pre-owned one, nothing to beat the Land Rover and the Landcruiser - they are serious dignified brutes that make you stand out of the crowd.

So - don't think Indian, instead think in Strine, mate! Don't limit your imagination to your daily commute (for that you might as well buy Merc or a Beemer or even an Accord) - if you have a capable machine, it can take you wherever your mind fancies.
Old 10th June 2007, 21:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Based on feedback of my relatives who live abroad I suggest Nissan XTrail which is very good in most of the respects,

Ravi.
Old 10th June 2007, 23:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendi View Post

1. Honda C-RV [any model] [2354 cc]
2. Nissan X-trail [2488 cc]
3. Suzuki Grand Vitara [the new model]
For a moment i thought that you were buying these cars in india. All of the above are available in India. Why not something else ???? There must be many more out there considering that the ozs love 4 wheel drives.
Old 11th June 2007, 07:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Hello??
Is there any problem with my request people??
I would really appreciate if somebody would throw some light on my queries above...
Regards and thanks in anticipation...

Mendi
Mendi, the big issue is for us living in India to figure out what all is available at A$18K. If the entire list of options (if there are more than 3 that you listed) with their mileage would help. I have seen numerous pajeros around and very few CRV, X-Trails.. Toyota and mitsubishi seem to rule the australian SUV territory and the non availability of these two models (their resale value being high) speaks for itself. I know a colleage managed to get a good second hand BMW X3 at around the same price bracket as a RAV4. Might be worth checking out..
Old 11th June 2007, 07:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Since you're looking for cars to use in Ozland you should consider the GM Captiva and the Ford EDGE. Why is your list so short? You should have a lot more to consider.
Old 11th June 2007, 09:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Since you're looking for cars to use in Ozland you should consider the GM Captiva and the Ford EDGE. Why is your list so short? You should have a lot more to consider.
Just to give you a picture of how both of there machines look (googled the pics)

Ford Edge:

Chevrolet Captiva:

Both these machines look beautiful .
Captiva comes in 2.4 petrol, 2 litre Diesel variants and a 3.2 litre turbodiesel (from holden) This car is actually from Daewoo stable and is also called Daewoo Winstorm and Holden Captiva .
The EDGE however is more powerful and comes with a 3.4 Litre duratec V6
EDGE is relatively newer car so it would be more expensive I guess
Old 13th June 2007, 08:27   #12
BHPian

Thanks to All!!

Hello Team,

First of all, tonnes of thanks to all you guys for supporting and replying my
request. Sorry I was away on work for two days so could not check replies here...

Steeroid, Rangaraj and Esteem Lover: This is going to be my first SUV so I had actually done a lot of homework before shortlisting my final three pre-owned SUVs here. The metrices for my shortlisted candidates was:

1. Minimum Clocked mileage in all available Pre-owned Models
2. Maintanence and service charges [recurring]
3. Price, ofcourse [between $16K ~ 19K AUD]
4. Overall Looks
5. Possibly New and fresh design [exteriors and interiors]

I had more than 14 different SUVs / models to choose from as:

Toyota Landcruiser: Not been able to find a Landcruiser which is in my price range and has done anything less than 200,000 kms. All models coming in my price are either 1998 or Older. So its a NO.

Toyota RAV4: In price range but models of 1999~2001 which was the older design of front and bumpers [done around 125,000 - 160,000 kms]. I like the newer model though which is out of range. So a NO.

Honda CRV: In Price range, New models 2001 ~ 2005, Nice fuel efficiency, nice on maintanence costs, clocked around 70,000 ~ 120,000 kms, like the manual CRV but want an Automatic. The only problem with the automatic CRV is the Gear Knob placement on the steering column. otherwise a smart and wise choice, fresh design and interiors, Probably a YES. still not sure

Suzuki Grand Vitara: I just Love the 2006-07, 5-door model, No second hand available below $23-25K. There are several 3 Door Dealor-Demo Grand Vitaras clocked 3000 - 10000 kms are available [2006-07] models in my price range but due to its shorter length and limited access for the family, the 3-door is also a NO.

Kia Sorento: out of price range/dont want the old model.

Ford Escape: quite an old design which is available in my price range. seems even older than the first Tata Estate. There is no Ford Edge available for resale here.

Ford Explorer & Territory: both out of price range as only few 2006 models and higher available for pre-owned sales. Nobody sells these cars once owned.

Holden Adventura & Captiva: both out of price range as only few 2006 models and higher available for pre-owned sales. Very good performance as per mechanics.

LandRover Freelander XEi: Only 1999 ~ 2003 models in range, seems ok in design as very much similar to Safari Dicor, low on maintanence costs as per local mechanics, done around 100,000 kms, Fine on fuel consumption, seems as good contender for a tough long time relation. Only drawback is few service centres and low demand at resale presuming I would keep my SUV for around 3 years. Its May be a Yes.

Jeep Cherokee: It is a nice Jeep but my budget only allows the older models 1997 ~ 2001. Its a NO

Grand Cherokee: Out of budget.

Subaru Forester: Did not like the design at all and not that confortable inside.

Mitsubishi Pajero: Excellent and Hugely built, nice in performance, out of
pocket. A big NO.

Hyundai Tucson & Terracan: Only 2005 and higher models availabel for resale and hence not in budget.

Hyundai Santa Fe: Our Indigo Marina is much better looking than Santa Fe. Its a clear NO.

Nissan X-Trail: A perfect Yes in everything.
In Price range, fuel consumption of around 10.6 litres per 100 kms which is not that bad for a 4X4 drive, very nice and attractive Interiors and exteriors, models between 2001 ~ 2005 available, kms done around 70,000 ~ 110,000, very fresh in deisgn, nice dash board and tacho, sports models also availabel for another around $500 AUD inclusive of all other extras like airbags, all foglamps, de foggers, alloys etc..seems very comfortable..

DerAlte: I had been considering a lot on the LandRover Freelander, Discovery and Range Rover. I dont like the old Discovery and Range Rover as both of these more resembles the Tata Sumo. Yes new models are good and 8 cylinder SUVs but then I dont have any infromation about the running costs of these cars. I have asked a few mechanics and I have been advised that they are on the much higher side of the maintanence costs. Freelander seems fine in all aspests but spending that much amount on a freelander doesnt seems to be justified to me. Also the LandRover cars are hard to resell at a later stage as very selected customers find these worth. I might just say that I am afraid to invest in any of the LandRovers, could be good and prestigious to own though. As a matter of fact, I dont have much info on these cars.

If anybody has any clues about the Landrovers, please do help me with the performance and other maintanence related information on the Landrovers....

Till now I have shortlisted Honda CRV, LandRover and Xtrail...
In the process of speaking to lots of agents here trying to get more and more information on all these SUVs...

Cheers...
Old 13th June 2007, 15:47   #13
BHPian

Wow.. that was some homework! Based on what you have described, it looks like the X-trail seems to be what suits you the best.. Proximity to after sales service, cost of spares, resale value, FE, and the current condition of the vehicle should drive the final choice. All three are good brands..
Old 13th June 2007, 18:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If anybody has any clues about the Landrovers, please do help me with the performance and other maintanence related information on the Landrovers....
LR maintenance is HUGE. Stay away from it since you're looking at pre-owned cars.
Old 13th June 2007, 18:34   #15
BHPian

The company I work for (in ME) buys G-Vitara than X-trail or CRV in that price range. I think G-Vitara is better overall.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks