Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which engine would you buy?
1.5L Petrol 196 64.90%
1.5L Diesel 37 12.25%
1.5L Hybrid 69 22.85%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2022, 01:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda City | 1.5L Petrol vs 1.5L Diesel vs 1.5L Hybrid | Which engine would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
City 1.5 CVT is my choice have had it for 5 years, now and is a bliss to drive.
Same here, we also have a 2017 Honda City 1.5 CVT (ours is a ZX in Alabaster Silver Metallic), it's my father's main car. Took delivery of it in February 2017, we had initially booked a 2016 in November but decided to wait for the 2017 car.

The car just ticked up to 70,000km last week and 71,000 is less than 200km away and will probably hit 80,000 by the end of the year, as my dad says "There is no other car under 20 lakh that is as well rounded as the City 1.5 CVT, you step into it and start driving and it just feels right". Just like our Innova and the WagonR before it, this one's a keeper.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 08:48   #17
BHPian

Re: Honda City | 1.5L Petrol vs 1.5L Diesel vs 1.5L Hybrid | Which engine would you buy?

Voted: 1.5L Petrol

To me the City has always been unanimous with that sweet petrol engine with a CVT gearbox, it is the classic combo. Revving city petrol engines right into the redline are some of my most fond automotive memories. In an era of downsizing engines a proper mature 1.5L gives a different sort of driving pleasure.

Needless to say, the new city petrol is VFH, VAG India with the 1.5L engine option breaches the 2 million boundary on-road. Had the hybrid pricing been lower, I would have definitely picked one up. Props to Honda for having a diesel engine even now when most sedans are doing away with it.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 09:44   #18
BHPian

Honda City Petrol all the way. A gem of an engine, extremely reliable and very engaging to drive.

Got my brother a 2013 Honda City petrol MT done 130K KMs last year. Could reach close to 100 kmph in second gear itself. The engine is that good.
Old 24th May 2022, 10:22   #19

Honda City Petrol 1.5 is a gem of an engine. In this price bracket you won't get such a high revving smooth engine and gearbox combination. Personally I love the Manual and bought it in a heart beat but for Bangalore city traffic I feel CVT is a sensible choice (my younger brother had the CVT). I have owned a diesel Swift earlier for seven years but with the reducing price difference between petrol and diesel fuels if your usage is less than 50-60 kms a day I dont think it makes sense to pay the extra 1.5+ lakhs over the petrol. Also we never know when something like a green tribunal will ban these engines for personal usage. Hybrid is a good option but we need to evaluate what we get and if we are able to justify the extra 4+ lakhs over the CVT. We can use that money to pay fuel bills for years and have a larger boot. So other than the novelty of owning a Hybrid I personally dont think putting the extra money for the Hybrid makes sense.
Old 24th May 2022, 10:37   #20
BHPian

I was seriously considering the Petrol CVT some 8 months back. Test drove it at the nearest showroom. The engine is butter smooth and has got a relaxed CVT box which I liked. However, the car I felt had a spartan interior for the price we pay. Moreover, the car has a sitting ON IT rather than sitting IN IT feeling which I hate to the core. Didn't buy it. The only issue to me with City is it's built to a price which is evident everywhere but with a pretty high price tag. Both obviously don't gel. Honda is milking its brand acceptance in the segment.
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 11:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
I am torn between CVT or MT because I like MT but the traffic makes me think about CVT. Damn! even with marriage I never had to think so hard to choose one!
Your last statement had me laughing.. Just go for the CVT eyes-closed. City has a S mode, which along with the paddle-shifters will allow you to revv-hard and enjoy the experience. The convenience of a smooth automatic is unmatched. Not sure whether it's just me - somehow felt City 5th generation CVT more comfortable and faster than its 4th generation counterpart. However, since the drive experience was for small distance, i'm not very sure though

Regards.
VikramCS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 12:26   #22
BHPian

Voted for 1.5 iVTEC which is a gem of an engine and mated with a capable CVT it gives the pleasure to take on the roads for miles and miles... No fatigue to driver and engine doesn't break a sweat.

Just this weekend, I was stuck in a highway traffic jam of 11 KMs that lasted for 1 hr 45 mins with 4 adults and a kid on-board. Felt right at home even in such miserable situation. The cabin is spacious and if you open the shade of sun-roof there is no claustrophobic feeling. The seats are comfortable for driver, front passenger as well as the rear passengers. The entertainment system is peppy enough to keep you, well, entertained

Driving within city or on highways is equally effortless. The mileage on highways regularly breaches 18-19 KMPL. Overtaking on highways is a breeze using either the paddle shifters or slotting the transmission in 'S' mode.

iVTEC is in no way as fun-to-drive as a VAG 1.2l turbo + DSG, however it's much more reliable and also economical.
sankdadevil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 13:16   #23
BHPian

I own a 1.5 Ltr CVT and second GTO's opinion. The engine is a Jem!!
Old 24th May 2022, 13:27   #24
BHPian

I voted for the City Petrol, and would prefer the Manual Transmission.
The clutch is light and the gearbox throws are precise and as of now I
have no requirement for an auto.
Besides, there is already a 4th gen City V cvt in the family.

The new DOHC 1.5 petrol engine of the 5th gen is half a notch better than the 1.5 of 4th gen (which already was the benchmark before).
The DOHC one has more low end torque, power band is more wider than before and the top end is sweeeet,
all while the real world efficiency improved.

As for the CVT too, the 4th gen and 5th gen have different cvt units.
The 5th gen's cvt uses a small torque converter instead of the starter clutch as used in the 4th gen city, Amaze and Jazz cvt units.

The ZX Hybrid is more of a fancy car too me for the price it demands.
A V variant hybrid with no "Honda Sensing" could be what more people wished for, at a logical price.

The Diesel City is for only those who wants a City badly but have lots and lots of running..

So the best picks from Honda range are still the petrol City MT, City cvt and the brilliant Amaze Diesel cvt (should have got the paddle shifts though)
Old 24th May 2022, 14:35   #25

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2022 at 08:04.
PRAJIT SENGUPTA is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2022, 14:55   #26
BHPian

Honda means petrol, Never heard amazing things about honda diesels
Given Honda's past record of model exits, I would not bet on hybrid, huge price gap + uncertainty in the longer run
Old 24th May 2022, 14:56   #27
BHPian

Always NA Petrol for Honda. That's where their engineering strength lies and the core reason for buying a Honda vehicle.
Old 24th May 2022, 21:21   #28
BHPian

City CVT, Petrol. It has the acclaimed iVtec engine that's smooth as hot katana on butter. Fantastic use case on both highways and city, and the most family friendly car I can think of.

Hybrid would've had my vote if it wasnt priced astronomically despite the shallow boot, and for the same price i'd rather have an SUV.
Old 25th May 2022, 08:46   #29
BHPian

I would go for the City Hybrid, very closely followed by the City Petrol CVT. Of course this is totally based on my use case where most of my driving is currently in mild traffic in cities.
A couple of friends as well as my brother have individually test driven the City Hybrid and they are blown away by how smooth it is in city roads.
So ideally I'd go for the Hybrid. But if i had to decide based on a budget and perceived reliability, it might be the Petrol CVT.
Old 25th May 2022, 09:01   #30
BHPian

City Diesel MT. Would have preferred the CVT + Diesel combination Honda India offers in Amaze. Hybrid does not make sense for me. At the same price or rather lower, I can enjoy probably the last generation of diesel engines. Honda's diesel engines are reliable, return excellent FE and the clutch is light. Can spend Rs. 20K to damp the car well to reduce the NVH or upgrade the audio system to distract me from the engine clatter.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks