Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2022, 22:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Worthy successor to a beloved Skoda Octavia A7 L&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Just another tangential thought, why not go electric? The i4? Sorry if I am way off your ideas, but being an Octy owner myself, couldn’t think of anything that could excite us over the Octy
Yup, very much in my thoughts, as mentioned in my previous post. But, that would mean holding off for 2 years and going for the i4 or some other luxury electric sedan then.
However, the problem remains practicality. In the absence of sufficient charging infrastructure, we wouldn't be able to do those long highway drives we love so much.
Old 19th July 2022, 23:34   #32
BHPian

@krishnadevjs
I agree with most of the members here advising you against the upgrade. BUT, it’s a bit of a complicated problem to solve. I think, you’re looking for that single reason to go with your heart which can supersede those 10 reasons in your mind. Here my two cents which should NOT help
If I were you and I had that kind of cash to spare, I would go with the luxury brand - my choice being 530i as 530D is almost a khokha
Old 20th July 2022, 01:33   #33
BHPian

This is probably one of the worst times to buy a new car. I would honestly wait it out because once the semiconductor problems sort out you will get a much better product.

If you really have to buy one my suggestion would be to up your budget and look at the 5 series.

The 3 and the C are really not that big an upgrade over the octavia
Old 20th July 2022, 08:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
If YOLO has the final word, the C300D seems to be the best bet of the lot from an all-rounder perspective. Alternately, it could be the ultimate YOLO move and I could go for an M340i.
Man I just wish Skoda still sold the 2.0L Octavia VRS 230 as that would've been a perfect upgrade.

As another user suggested you can Upgrade the 1.8 TSI with engine mods and fresh alloys to freshen up the Octy and give it some more "oomph".

You could also think of keeping your beloved Octy and get something like the Gurkha or Thar to mess around with as a weekend vehicle.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 09:00   #35

Quote:
But then, looking never hurt anyone. So, I decided to step into the car market once again, after a gap of 5 years, and at least evaluate a worthy successor to the mighty Octavia.

I own a 2018 Octavia and have completed 53k on it in about 3.5 years. Prior to this, I have worked in Africa as an expat where I had the opportunity to keep and drive multiple company cars: 2010 Lexus GS, 2012 BMW 325i, 2011 BMW X3, 2006 Land Cruiser V8, 2012 LC Prado etc. Etc. While I haven't considered an upgrade from my Octy and therefore, haven't test driven the latest offerings from MBA/ Lexus and Volvo, here's my take:
1. The Octavia is a very very good car. Unbeatable at its price point and if you discount the Superb, unbeatable for well beyond. You'd always find some car beating it in a few areas but not on all round capabilities.
2. The reason why the BMW feels better to drive is because technically, you are comparing a 2020 car to a 2012 engineered car. When you compare the Octavia to a 2012 3 series, it comes out on top even in acceleration and driveline stakes. (Relevant to only showing how good the Octavia is, something that even you have said multiple times )
3. While it makes sense to buy powerful and fast cars while your body and mind can still deal with it, a Indian market 330i/ C220D etc. doesn't tick that box with their performance v/s an Octavia. I can warrant that whenever the next vRS comes to India, it will knock the socks off the MBAs in the performance division again.
4. As many have pointed out, boot space of a Skoda is the boot space of a Skoda.
5. Buying an Indian market MBA is mostly giving into the marketing. The real deals are either never launched or are prohibitively expensive.
6. A VFM upgrade would be a Lexus as it does silent luxury better than all the germans but it isn't very engaging to drive. Volvo is the only brand that I haven't driven and can't comment on.

All in all, if you have the cash to splurge on a badge, do it by all means but I'd warrant that keeping the Octavia as a supermiler would come with its own bit of satisfaction.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th July 2022 at 21:19. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Pixiegreat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 12:57   #36
BHPian

Would have suggested the porsche macan but it's around 90 and not to mention not a sedan even though it does drive like one. I would suggest you take a test drive since it would not hurt but one thing is for sure I have that in my sights as an upgrade for my octy.
Old 20th July 2022, 18:42   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I own both a MY16 Octavia 1.8 TSI Style Plus (6.5Y, 67K km) as well as a MY20 330i Sport (2Y, 22K km). I faced the same YOLO dilemma compounded by the fact that I'm a lot older than you.
By the way, another critical point I wanted to flesh out is the utter superiority of the RWD 330i experience vis-a-vis the FWD Octavia 1.8.

I drive both on a daily basis on identical commutes, and while the Octavia is superlative in ride quality, gearbox smoothness and sheer 'executive' class, the 330i blows it's socks off in terms of sheer driving enjoyment (i.e. without barfing rear seat passengers).

In the last 2 years, I have not genuinely regretted the move to the 330i as my primary drive.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 19:32   #38

Quote:
For as long as I can remember, this has been a DREAM car. I've always wanted to buy a BMW 330i when I had the opportunity.
Krishna, BMWs come with RFTs and once replaced with Tubeless tyres - the whole driving experience becomes smoother.
The material of RFTs is tougher than Tubeless.

Moreover if you can extend 10-15 Lacs more and get to X3, it will be a game changer w.r.t. suspension, etc. A serious recommendation to do a TD of X3.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th July 2022 at 20:56. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
GAPune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 19:12   #39
BHPian

hey, firstly my personal opinion would be that you keep your Octavia and choose not to sell it. That car is the last of its kind, everything about it, the beautiful 1.8 TSI. That engine is too sweet of a motor to miss out on, and would tick the box of most of the enthusiasts. But if you’re really willing to upgrade from a mk3.5 Octavia, which is already a very difficult car to upgrade from, I wouldn’t suggest either the 3 series or C class.

•Not denying the fact the 330i would make sure there’s a rush of adrenaline in your veins every time you floor it, and you’ll have a wide grin every time you push the throttle. The car is damn quick, and will make you fall in love with the way it drives. In the driving dynamics department, it’s an upgrade from the Octavia, for sure. But as a whole, I wouldn’t really consider it an upgrade from the Octavia.

•The C220D wouldn’t feel much special, especially if you’re coming from a 1.8 TSI, as the octavia 1.8 TSI is as quick as the C220D itself, no point in upgrading, even in the performance department. But if you’re a fan of luxurious cabin, interiors and fancy features, you can probably go ahead. For me, I don’t think it’s worth it. Whereas the C300D, is a brilliant car to drive, having driven one myself, I can assure you it’s a hoot to drive. It’s as quick as the 330i on the road, and would surprise you by the way it drives. Remember 550 NM of torque isn’t a joke, the acceleration is brutal to triple digits and will push you back to the seats. But again at the end of the day, it’s a C class (almost as long and big as the Octavia you own right now [Octavia length- 4670mm, C class length-4689mm]) would it feel much of an upgrade? No, I personally don’t think so.

But if you’re ready to shell out a little more big ones, the best possible upgrade for the Octavia 1.8 TSI, would be the BMW G30 530D. That 3 L inline-6 Diesel engine producing 265 hp and 620n nm, is the best in class, there is absolutely no competition when it comes to outright performance in it’s segment. The car is big, muscular and would definitely ‘look’ like an upgrade, from all angles. The design is sharp, sleek and will make you fall in love. In the driving department, is it a big upgrade? Yes, very much. The car accelerates to 100 kmph in less than 5.7 seconds, very quick. The mid range and top end performance of the car is, INSANE. No words for the kind of performance it delivers, the car tops out at 250 kmph. That whopping 620 nm (super car territory) of torque makes you feel really special and never leaves you wanting for more. The acceleration is so brutal that you won’t realise the speeds you’re doing. And yes, it’s more fun to drive than the options you’ve listed above, and will surely feel much of an upgrade than the other two cars. Cheers
dieselhead01 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 17:52   #40
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Over the weekend, I tried driving the 520D, as the dealership didn't have a 530i or a 530D to try out. The performance figures of the 530D are mouthwatering, like @dieselhead01 mentions, but quite honestly, I still didn't find the cabin a luxurious place to be in.

Checked out the Volvo cars as well - looked at the XC60 and the S90 - they both seem sensible enough, with sufficient features. However, the S90 is a FWD and the XC60 is an SUV - hence, not really what I want. Plus, neither has that brand value I'm looking for.

After looking at all these cars, I've finally come to the conclusion that probably should've been very clear going in - right now is not a good time to buy a new luxury car. The semiconductor shortage has seriously culled out features from all these luxury brands - ones that still make it to international models whereas we don't get it in India. Additionally, prices have gone to such levels that it doesn't make any sense to upgrade. The Octavia, of course makes no easy job of the upgradation by being as awesome and well built a car as it is.

Hence, I've decided to put off my new car plans for another year or two. Instead, I'd be investing in some upgraded suspensions, new tyres and some well deserved love for the Octy.

Hopefully, in that time, prices cool down or at least, features come back in, making these luxury brands a bit more worth it. And hey, maybe even the electric car infrastructure in India evolves to such a level that I could pick up an electric!

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the inputs. Really helped me come to this conclusion, which I think is the right one, all things considered.
krishnadevjs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hence, I've decided to put off my new car plans for another year or two. Instead, I'd be investing in some upgraded suspensions, new tyres and some well deserved love for the Octy.
Good decision considering the current scenario.

Upgrade the suspension, upsize to 17 inchers and do a remap. The car would feel new and a segment high and will be more difficult to find a replacement when you are ready.
Old 8th October 2022, 12:52   #42
BHPian

Some developments over the last few weeks have led me to reopen this thread.

My dad has finally decided to let go of his 2011 Volkswagen Vento, having driven 1 lac kilometers fighting with its super hard clutch. As a replacement, he was thinking of an i20 DCT, which would come out to around 15 lacs OTR.

After TDing the car and seeing the interiors, he was of the opinion to rather get a pre-owned C/D sedan than go for the i20. A quick check of OLX later, we came to the conclusion that there couldn’t be a better option than me giving my 2017 Octavia to my dad and upgrading myself. My car’s value would be close to that of an OTR i20 anyway.

And hence, I’m back in the market. The practical, sensible choice is the C300D, and I’m almost at the verge of booking it. It has decent costs of ownership, a refined interior, good comfort, mild hybrid tech and the Mercedes brand. Planning to book the car (it has a waiting period of 6-7 months) next week.

However, at just ₹10 lacs more, the BMW M340i is tantalisingly close. And that would truly be a special car - a worthy successor to my beloved Octavia. And given I’m anyway waiting for 6-7 months, the M340i too would be an option.

One thing I would definitely not want is a relapse of the regret I have for buying my 1.8 TSI instead of the vRS back in 2017.

It’s head vs heart all over again.

Last edited by krishnadevjs : 8th October 2022 at 12:55.
krishnadevjs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 13:14   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Great decision to use Octavia instead of buying a new i20.

About M340i, it’s very simple and depends on your usage. If you enjoy a fast car and have the opportunity to drive like it’s meant to be - just go for it with your eyes closed. On the other hand, if you are mostly going to do the usual city commute and travel with business clients or family members, Mercedes will be a better buy.

C300 having impressive power like M340i is a weak argument and don’t fall for that trap. There is power and then there is nature of delivery of that power.

Last edited by androdev : 8th October 2022 at 13:17.
androdev is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 13:28   #44
BHPian

Given that the LCI is around the corner, the M340i is expected to improve on inner looks significantly. Having just spoken to a friend who works in BMW, I’m all the more inclined towards the M340i. Maintenance costs surprisingly seem to be significantly lower for the BMW!
krishnadevjs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 22:34   #45
BHPian

Many thanks to everyone for helping me make the best decision by sharing their views here.

I've finally made up my mind and went ahead with booking the BMW M340i LCI in Tanzanite Blue. Of all the choices out there, I truly believe this is THE worthy successor to the absolutely wonderful piece of machinery the Octavia is.

The new car is expected to come in January 2023. Apparently, mine's the first booking in Mumbai - so hopefully it'll be the first delivery in Mumbai as well.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by krishnadevjs : 17th October 2022 at 22:37.
krishnadevjs is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks