Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2007, 10:32   #1
BHPian

Which Car should I Buy

Dear All,

I've been using Maruti 800 and plan to buy another mid size car. We have a family of 5, but mostly car will be used to travel with 3 people with ocassionally all 5 travelling toghether

My basic points are car should be comfortable with 5 people. Should be fuel efficient.Based on my needs I've shortlisted Hyundai Accent and Ford Ikon 1.6.
Price Range 2 to 2.5 lakhs
Should be low on maintenance cost
Car will be travelling around 300 KM per month in city.The car will be self driven. I plan to keep it for 2-3 years.
Pls advice me if my selection is correct and which car with what mileage and year of manufacturing should i expect in this price range. Also should i buy from used car dealers ( if yes then pls suggest me some trusted name in Mumbai)?
Thanks in Advance
Old 26th June 2007, 12:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I've shortlisted Hyundai Accent and Ford Ikon 1.6. Price Range 2 to 2.5 lakhs
Where are you getting these cars in that price band?
Quote:
Also should i buy from used car dealers ( if yes then pls suggest me some trusted name in Mumbai)?
Isn't that one of the solution?

If you're looking for that price bracket, suggest go through loads of threads here. You'll get a much better idea about your purchase. Putting up a thread like this will not give you a concrete solution.
Old 26th June 2007, 12:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Where are you getting these cars in that price band?
Isn't that one of the solution?

If you're looking for that price bracket, suggest go through loads of threads here. You'll get a much better idea about your purchase. Putting up a thread like this will not give you a concrete solution.

Regarding the price band I'm finding it at various sites for car ranging between 2000 to 2002

Regarding the used car dealer, I've gone through many post which suggest me stay away from them , also a used car dealer generally increases the sale price by 25% with no added advantage and at the same time tampering with the odometer readings. That's why i wanted opinion of all you senior people to help me find a geniune used car dealer.
Old 26th June 2007, 14:38   #4
BHPian

You can easily find a sedan like Accent or Ikon petrol. I will comment on this two :
- Usually these two cars second hand market value depreciation is very high. But accent is a trouble free car. Ikon is a good performer but not really recommended as a 2nd hand car

- hyundai A.S.S is no nonsense when comparing with Ford. Spares for the Ford also costly when comparing with Accent.

- Accent is still available and has lots of common spares with the new verna so the spare availability should not be a problem for some time. Ikon, you may want to check, whats the future of Ikon.

- accent is a bit low car. ikon has good GC and tall car, getting in/out easy.

I will suggest go for a good condition/genuine accent
Old 26th June 2007, 15:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ikon, you may want to check, whats the future of Ikon.
As fo right now, the future of the Ikon is much more certain than that of the Accent.
Old 26th June 2007, 15:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

The accent and ikon you will get in this price range would be probably at the end of their trouble free life and basically after 5 years the car starts to ask more maintenance

i would suggest to go in for a esteem
you will get a 2004 or 2003 model in you price range

the car is has good FE figures and the spares are cheap and we all know that maruti has the best A.S.S. india

and any road side mechanic would be able to repair it

but i you want to choose out of the two i would go in for accent
Old 26th June 2007, 15:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Out of the 2 I would say the Accent is a better bet. Its a decent family sedan, not very performance oriented like the Ikon 1.6. Hyundai service is top notch and you will have peace of mind.

You can find a 2001 Accent in your budget. Try to find a low mileage car though. Another alternative would be the Esteem as manikjeet suggested and you will be getting a much newer car for your money.
Old 26th June 2007, 16:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post

Try to find a low mileage car though.
Sir, which range of mileage can be considered for this ?
Old 26th June 2007, 18:08   #9
BHPian

I will second Manik, Esteem is perfect for you. Low maintaince, parts are the cheapest.
Old 27th June 2007, 02:55   #10
BHPian

@sgmuser : I came across a few posts which says FORD has come out with a new plant in chennai. So, doesn't that mean, spare parts for FORD cars are much cheaper now than before and on par with hyundai? Or are they still costlier?
Old 27th June 2007, 09:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on my needs I've shortlisted Hyundai Accent and Ford Ikon 1.6.
IMO, these cars are fundamentally so different it should be easy to pick one based on your preferences.

- If you love spirited driving, go for Ikon 1.6. Accent doesn't even come close.
- If you prefer comfort and good A.S.S., go for Accent.
Old 27th June 2007, 09:32   #12
BHPian

@saurabhkum

Accent anytime if you wanna buy a second hand car. Ikon is a amazing car if bought first hand.
Also not any used car dealer would do.
Check out automart, Hyundai showrooms, Carwale et al for used cars. And please please take a trusted mechanic with you
Old 27th June 2007, 09:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
i would suggest to go in for a esteem
you will get a 2004 or 2003 model in you price range

2004 esteem for 2.5L ?? is it that cheap in mumbai ??

For your kind of driving, avoid the ikon 1.6. Get an accent or an esteem.
Old 27th June 2007, 10:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Should be fuel efficient.Based on my needs I've shortlisted Hyundai Accent and Ford Ikon 1.6.
Saurabhkum, dont you think these two points are conflicting, Both the cars give very low mileage per litre.
Between the two, I will second Hondadude..
Quote:
If you love spirited driving, go for Ikon 1.6. Accent doesn't even come close.
- If you prefer comfort and good A.S.S., go for Accent.
Old 27th June 2007, 10:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

@ Saurabhkum - I drive an Accent so I will tell you, it is a very good car BUT 2nd hand Accents are a bit risky as they would have been driven quite hard. Although your best bet would be a 2nd hand esteem or 2nd hand Accent.

Price of a 2002 Model Accent should be around 2.5L if in a nice condition. Do check under the hood & trunk for any after market add ons. Stay away if any !! Mileage for Accent should be around 10 in city ( if driven nicely ) so yes Accent is not a very FE car, but a good all rounder.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks