Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-loved 3rd-gen Honda City | Yay or nay?

It's a reliable car with a known history being sold to you with a 0% interest loan in a time where there is a shortage of cars and used car dealers printing gold. Buy it, worst case you can sell it off for about the same price if something goes wrong.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 21:29   #17
BHPian

Yes, please go for it and experience Honda's brilliant engine and overall packaging. I have been using 2011 I-Vtec model and love every bit of it. Only advice is try to find out a good Honda authorized workshop and stick to it for routine service even if it is far off. I get my car service at around 7k kms and an interval like this can be planned in advance.

All the best!
mohitm29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 17:25   #18
BHPian

Honda cars are reliable, yes they do have a few issues but nothing that cant be easily fixed. The City is one of their best selling models and is a good car to start your car ownership journey. The price is good and the instalment plan that comes with it is even better. Speaks volumes about your friendship and how much your friend wants you to get to owning a car. Since the usage is known as the kms are genuine, it isn't a point of worry at all.

A personal word of advice though - The day you buy the car from your friend, the car and all the good and bad that comes with it, is your problem, not his. Cars are complex, unpredictable and anything can go wrong at any point in time, so don't let any future issue with the car affect your friendship.
Pashin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 17:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anay3000 View Post
A friend has this Honda City 2013, which he purchased used in 2017, when it had ~40k kms on it. Subsequently he has used it for about 6+ years. The odo now reads slightly 82k odd kms.
Beware of the following things
- Low GC, scrapes at most large speed breakers, especially with 3 or more people
- Prone to rusting, especially if parked outside in a city like Mumbai. Checkout areas like foot board and under bonnet for rusting (where the car hits the speed breaker)

The car is very reliable and low on maintenance otherwise.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:41   #20
BHPian

This seems like a decent deal and you can go ahead but just watch out for these issues

1) Check the AC Unit thoroughly and see if there are any issues. The evaporator coil panel etc is easy to inspect visually i.e you can easily know if it there are any holes etc with a visual inspection. This is a common issue with these Hondas. Drive the car for 15 to 20 minutes and see if the AC is cooling normally of if there is any issue with the compressor tripping or so.

2) Check if the O2 sensor has been replaced or not because this is an issue that can pop up. It can pop up when new or when old, and its not uncommon to see the check engine symbol light up when this happens. Sometimes the Check engine light goes off for a month or two and then they come back on when the sensor has gone completely rogue.

3) Engine mounts need to be checked and sometimes even if there is a slight breakage or something it can be tightened up and run for a good while before it needs replacement.

These are the issues that come to my mind. Go for this if you feel all is well and God willing this vehicle will do you good. God Speed

Last edited by DrZhivago : 4th April 2023 at 19:43.
DrZhivago is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 08:21   #21
BHPian

I own a 2010 model, done 90k. Runs butter smooth. It won't give you any major issues. It will scrape on the speedbreakers especially when fully loaded. I have upgraded the tires to 185, and it scapes less. Otherwise regular service is all that it needs. No major issues. Go ahead.

PS: 1.5exi was my first experience of driving a Honda car too. Still remember the day I started the engine and rolled it forward. A raw machine.

Last edited by drjkonline : 5th April 2023 at 08:26. Reason: Adding info
drjkonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 08:39   #22
BHPian

Should be a decent buy. I had my City 3rd Gen for over 10 years and 1.2L km. I remember around 80k I had to change the spark plug leads which were quite expensive. Get those checked at the ASS.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 13:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anay3000 View Post
A friend has this Honda City 2013, which he purchased used in 2017, when it had ~40k kms on it. Subsequently he has used it for about 6+ years. The odo now reads slightly 82k odd kms.

He made me an offer which seems quite attractive. This will be my first car, if I go ahead. I know for a fact that the car does not have any major issues, and was used with extreme care. I live in a somewhat rural area (as does the erstwhile car owner), local mechanics are good, not geniuses, but they can keep cars running. Honda ASS is about 50-60 kms away. Its not difficult to get to said ASS, but not too convenient either.

As for the car, there are no apparently visible dents, rust marks, scratches, visible on the outside. I have not yet inspected the car with the help of a local mechanic. I am frankly in the initial stages of thinking about buying this one.

Nevertheless, is this a good buy for 2.6 lacs?

Why it looks good to me:
  • I dont have to pay in one go. (26 easy installments of 10k each)
  • I don't think there will be any other sedan available in under 3 lacs.
  • Car is well taken care of, no immediately visible blemishes / marks.
Why I have concerns:
  • 82k kms.
  • Honda parts / consumables are costlier than some other brands.
  • Is this a good 1st car? Coz the condition is good, so its not a beater, neither is the price that of a beater car.
PS: The original Honda City 1.5 Exi was my dream car, and I loved the acceleration of that one. Not many contemporary cars could match it in performance. This is a factor which pulls me towards Honda cars.
I have used multiple Honda's, still own 2. I had a city of this generation of 2011 Jan make. Pre facelift, this one is post facelift.

I used the car for 88k kms. The engine starts performing best after 60k kms. That's the point where my FE was best till the end of my ownership. My tips for you-
1. Definitely go for it.
2. The VTEC engines need to be taken over VTEC engagement threshold atleast once a month or you may face an issue of delayed engagement. In layman terms just rev over 4k rpm every once in a while. In enthusiast terms it loves to be revved it's mammaries off.
3. The only expense besides regular service (i paid 3.5k-4.5k per service from ASS with synth. oil) is the steering column lock set wearing off. Honda will quote about 35k for changing all locks. Local repairman can fix it for about 1500 including a new key. Have had the same expense in all my Hondas including 2 citys and 2 brios.
4. Wheel alignment on poor roads usually lasted me about 10k kms no problems unless I encountered high speed(80+kph) potholes.

All the best and trust me I have the latest gen city as well, they do not make them like this anymore.

Last edited by hellraiser_yank : 5th April 2023 at 13:56. Reason: Typos corrected
hellraiser_yank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 18:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
- Low GC, scrapes at most large speed breakers, especially with 3 or more people
- Prone to rusting,
Exactly my thoughts on this. Just have these points in mind and grab the deal
CarCraze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 11:51   #25
BHPian

I have never ever seen such agreement of opinion on any car in this forum

I am driving a 2013 Honda City AT. The car is truly reliable and the cost of ownership is also low. The only concern you might have would be regarding soft suspensions, especially since you mentioned you live in a rural area. If you are ok with it, just buy the car. That car can easily serve you for another 10 years.
shobhit.shri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 14:21   #26
BHPian

very good deal. I drive a 2013 Honda city. No issues seen.

Considering the known history from your friend, it is still better deal.

It can be little difficult for first couple of months being the 1st car for you. After that, it will be good.

2013 model had better ground clearance compared to previous generation.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th April 2023 at 15:53. Reason: spacing for improved readability
KeepReading is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 15:56   #27
BHPian

Its a definite buy. Effective present value of this transaction is ~Rs. 1lakh which is quite cheap for this car. 2 things to check-
1. a thorough check by the local mechanic/honda ass for rusting, underbody scrapes, AC, engine mount etc as has been mentioned by forum members.
2. possibly digging out the service history from honda ass from 2013 till now/till whatever time it was serviced by ass to check for any accidents/major replacements prior to your friend's ownership.

Keep revving!
subhro1988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 15:58   #28
BHPian

For the price quoted, it’s a good buy and the car is usually trouble free. I would suggest to check life of Suspension, clutch, A/C (gas fill/evaporater coil, battery and tyre. All these parts are expected to change between 80-90k kms based on the usage. And this will easily cost you around 1L if it’s serviced under Honda. It’s not necessary to take up everything in one go. Based on the priority you can change the parts one by one and it will happily serve you another 1L kms.
Kashief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 16:56   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Go for it. The 3rd gen was the last proper City. A reliable, comfortable and complaint free car.

P.S. That price is really good
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 19:41   #30
BHPian

We had bought a 2012 Honda City S MT with 1.28L KMs on the odo about a couple of years back. Its working great so far.

Go for it with eyes closed. The car is still very competent and comfortable for everyday usage.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks