Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2007, 19:55   #1
BHPian

advise needed on buying a car

hi everyone
i self drive about 80000kms per annum. presently driving a WagonR. Planning to go for a bigger one.most of the travel will be in karnataka, kerala and tamilnadu.need AC and power Steering.i have clocked more than 4L kms till date on Petrol cars.now i have started getting neck pain ( severe).but travel is a must. i feel i should think about diesel also.please suggest a decent vehicle either new or used within 8-9 lakhs. all the roads i travel range from bad to worse.
thanks!
Old 31st July 2007, 20:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Safari Dicor !

Either 3L or wait and get the 2.2L
Old 31st July 2007, 21:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

In 8-9 lack diesel car options, you have Fiesta TDCi and Verna CRDi.
Both cars have their own pluses and minuses, deliver similar fuel efficiency. While Fiesta has good driveability in city conditions, Verna has much better highway performance. You can consider base model Elantra as well ( i am not sure it sells now or not).

A note of personal advice. You mentioned you are having severe neck pain due to all the driving. Why don't you buy a cheaper diesel car (say an Indica/Indigo/Logan), and invest the remaining money(4-5L) (say in a monthly income plan or a mutual fund) and use that money as salary for the driver (ie be driven instead of driving)? That way your body can get sufficient rest and within 2-3 years you will be able to drive again with full vigor. Hows the idea? Please don't mind if it doesn't suit you.

Last edited by DCEite : 31st July 2007 at 21:02.
Old 31st July 2007, 22:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey nutmello,
If you are looking for a diesel car, check out the fiesta or the Verna D.
The elantra is not available in diesel anymore.
I had posted a thread in the same section where the main choices were Fiesta D and Verna D.
Do check that thread out as i listed the pros and cons of each car.
Also, if you don't mind an SUV, try the safari.
Old 31st July 2007, 23:20   #5
BHPian

For your price tag, FIESTA D / VERNA D is the best bet. If your drive involves more of highways, go for VERNA, else FIESTA should be fine.
Old 1st August 2007, 07:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
In 8-9 lack diesel car options, you have Fiesta TDCi and Verna CRDi.
Both cars have their own pluses and minuses, deliver similar fuel efficiency. While Fiesta has good driveability in city conditions, Verna has much better highway performance. You can consider base model Elantra as well ( i am not sure it sells now or not).

A note of personal advice. You mentioned you are having severe neck pain due to all the driving. Why don't you buy a cheaper diesel car (say an Indica/Indigo/Logan), and invest the remaining money(4-5L) (say in a monthly income plan or a mutual fund) and use that money as salary for the driver (ie be driven instead of driving)? That way your body can get sufficient rest and within 2-3 years you will be able to drive again with full vigor. Hows the idea? Please don't mind if it doesn't suit you.
dear pal
thanks for your advise.im seriously considering having a driver also. please suggest on innova / bolero? i will take a test drive of verna and see. but neck pain has become worse with pain coming down to fingers.
Old 1st August 2007, 08:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
dear pal
thanks for your advise.im seriously considering having a driver also. please suggest on innova / bolero? i will take a test drive of verna and see. but neck pain has become worse with pain coming down to fingers.
I think what you need is a comfortable vehicle which is easy to drive. Bolero won't fit the bill here. If you need space then Innova should be a good choice. Your travel is in city or highway?

Honda city CVT can be a good option in city. Not sure about the ride comfort though.
Old 1st August 2007, 09:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Since you are considering a driver.

I guess you need the best back-seat, and i dont think any vehicle in the market can better the TATA Safari for back seat comfort. You could also look at the innova.

Also, if you want cheaper options, Logan D is said to have a very good ride comfort.

And, please go for medical check up. A stitch in time saves nine.
Old 1st August 2007, 09:59   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow, thats some amount of running. Keeping in mind the volume of running, bad road factor and that you are keen on comfort, its either the Tata Safari or the Toyota Innova for you.

Search the forum for reviews. And test-drive both before making up your mind.
Old 1st August 2007, 10:14   #10
BHPian

I think its Logan Diesel for you with good ride quality and loads of space.

TD and decide between Fiesta D / Innova / Logan D according to me.
Old 1st August 2007, 10:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

I too would suggest the Toyota Innova for the sheer confort & ease of driving. However, do have the neck pain checked up immediately, it can be something serious & such symptoms should not be ignored.
Old 1st August 2007, 11:35   #12
BHPian

hi off topic regarding your neck pain get a MRI done yours is a classic symptom of cervical spondylitis
Old 1st August 2007, 11:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Indica/Indigo front seats are best. For your cervical pains, best is to make the front seat almost flat and travel half sleeping with a neck pillow. Aids alot.

Helped a lot in my neck pains when I earlier used to commute about 40 oddkms a day in office cab. Don't bother about eliteness or anything else.

I'm not sure but in Palio adventure or Marina - the rear seat can be completely rolled back. With your travel, i'd recommend that - sleep as you travel. Neck first, EVERYTHING else later.
Old 1st August 2007, 12:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
hi everyone
i self drive about 80000kms per annum. presently driving a WagonR. Planning to go for a bigger one.most of the travel will be in karnataka, kerala and tamilnadu.need AC and power Steering.i have clocked more than 4L kms till date on Petrol cars.now i have started getting neck pain ( severe).but travel is a must. i feel i should think about diesel also.please suggest a decent vehicle either new or used within 8-9 lakhs. all the roads i travel range from bad to worse.
thanks!
with that kind of running you seriously need a diesel. I waould also suggest that you go for a car that gives you the best driving posture so as to avoid enhancing your pains. I think higher seating would be better and the ride quality should be really good. I think you should look no further than the Innova. It can be driven like a car. Its got the best suspensions in its class. Its got enough and more space for long travels. I've seen ones that run as smoothly as new even after crossing the 2L mark. And most of all...its within your budget . Just dont waste time thinking. with your kind of travel, you need the best ride. Go for the Innova. I suggest the 7 seat version with pilot seats in the middle row. It ensures comfort at the best for you when go with a driver.

Last edited by gemithomas : 1st August 2007 at 12:21.
Old 1st August 2007, 19:52   #15
BHPian

thanks a lot for your support.i was doing lot of rallying in my 20s, in a gypsy then on esteem and also finally on a baleno.now this neck pain has taken away all my instincts.its really painful. thanks again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks