Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2024, 09:38   #16

Re: 9-year old 4th Gen Honda City | Keep or upgrade?

If you are ready to wait, I'd say, wait for the elevate eV. From what was seen on city hev, the elevate eV will be more than just a powertrain swap. When it launched, hev had a different interior, suspension, styling and brakes.
Better eVs are coming. Waiting will not hurt. Unless you buy a model currently on offer after the wait. Then you will feel stupid. You will also feel stupid if you didn't wait and someone brought out a smashing deal.

OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
You can also have the door beadings of the current Gen5 car fitted to improve sound insulation. These were absent on Gen4 due to cost cutting, and are a direct fit.
Is this true? This is one of the rare places where I hate my gen4. Can you point me in the right direction?
Aluminium is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 09:30   #17
BHPian

You should stick to your current ride, I too have a 4th gen City from 2015 and it has almost 90k on the clock. My experience has also been absolutely fuss free and other than occasional battery issues (towards end of life), I have had absolutely no issues with the car other than its bumpy ride if you are being chauffeured. The only regret is that I did not go for an automatic when purchasing this car since driving manual in the gridlock of Mumbai traffic is not a great experience except on holidays.

I do plan to keep this for the next 3-4 years atleast and hopefully by then the EV situation is clearer.
sunilrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 18:26   #18
BHPian

41k is nothing for a City. Also, the 20lakh segment is pretty populated right now but it does not give a proper upgrade from your City. I'd suggest you to hang on.
The EV market in this range is developing steadily, so in the next couple of years I expect a lot of good cars coming in.

If you really want to buy a car, take a look at Taigun/Kushaq, as they satisfy all your criterion except for reliability.

Good luck!
Pythonista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 20:14   #19
BHPian

I would advise against getting an EV which will be the sole car in the household. I would suggest waiting for the top tier auto companies (Maruti / Hyundai / Honda) to introduce EV’s in case you want to shift away from petrol / diesel vehicles.

I know you have mentioned you do not want a sedan but maybe your parents should try sitting in a SUV to see if they are comfortable getting in one. My grandmother visited us sometime back and she had some trouble getting into our Nexon EV (she is >80 years old and short in height). She had to climb up slightly to get into Nexon while she was relatively more comfortable getting into Honda City.

In case you are open to sedans, you can consider Hyundai Verna or the new Honda City. I know it feels weird replacing your car with the same car (although different generation) but Honda City is the perfect all-rounder. I would have loved Maruti to be active in the sedan segment but they do not seem to be in any mood to replace / refresh Ciaz.
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 23:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post

The topic of discussion

The itch to upgrade has started. Looking at my (parent's) requirements for the next car, it seems we don't have many options that will be a step up from the Honda City considering the requirements below.
  1. VW/Skoda - Neither reliable nor low cost of maintenance, even when considering 1L TSI + torque converter AT drivetrain.

Is the itch to upgrade just based on parent's requirement or is there something more to it? From logical point of view, holding off purchase for few years makes sense-so more EV options come up. But even after 2 years EV is going to be in a very fast developing state.

If you do make up your mind for the upgrade, in a way VW-Skoda twins seem like spiritual successor to Honda City.
  • The 2.0 cars are pretty successful in their own regard, may be not as much as the Honda City but they are like the turnaround for VW in India.
  • Then the 1.0 tsi has that proper sporty feeling once turbo kicks in, somewhat similar to vtec kicked in yo!
  • They have also cut corners w.r.t quality like in the city, but overall solid and 5 star safe.
Only 1 requirement may or may not be satisfied - Fuss free ownership. If you take 6 years extended warranty, it mitigates any unforeseen issues for a long while.

Last edited by sapien : 28th February 2024 at 23:49.
sapien is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks