Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2024, 14:54   #1
BHPian

Should I get a 2011 Etios as my first car?

I have been searching for a decent reliable used car within a low budget for about an year without much success - every car I found came with costly repairs or niggles that makes it an unworthy deal. Then, I came across this 13 yr old Etios 2011.

The car has run around 45,000 odd kilometers, and was with it's second owner when Cars24 acquired it. Now my question is whether this is good enough to invest my hard earned money:

https://www.cars24.com/buy-used-toyo...a-11968785785/

My Rationale
I can afford more, but right now I don't have much use of a car. It is just to get better at driving a car, and explore if I would like to get a more expensive car. I suffer from buyer's remorse - so jumping to an expensive car is a no go for me. Having said that, what I want is a fuss free, good looking, and cheap car. So does spending this much on it, so that it lasts me a couple of years seem reasonable? What do you think?

Also, I might go abroad this year for job related relocation in a few years. So avoiding any big purchases.

Few concerns
The service history ends at 33,000 Kms in 2019, and beyond that there is no service history. It has run 12,000 Kms since then.

I got this car checked by GoMechanic. But, for some reason I find the mechanic's words untrustworthy as if the seller has coerced him to say good things. It is clearly visible in the picture that the boot door is repainted (see paint marks on the G badging). However, he told me only the bumpers are repainted. He also told me that the car had check engine lights on, but they were because the "history" data had not been cleared. It was visible in the OBD scanner report. However, he assured me that it was gone when he deleted the error code with the OBD scanner. But he didn't share the same with me (report still indicated fault code in Current section and history section) - in the report there was a "P1604" startup malfunctioning error. Is something suspicious here?

He told me that the shockers and suspension are fine. There is some noise on braking. The advisor informed me about a hole in the silencer - that could be fixed, but then the mechanic failed to find it (wondering why). He did tell me that the coolant needs changing and that three of the tires had gone old/dry due to staying unused for long periods.

So my question is, considering everything - will this car be a good option for me? I can consider spending 10-20k more on it, but the question is if it will make sense to do so?

Last edited by wheelspinner : 21st February 2024 at 15:00.
wheelspinner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 15:19   #2
BANNED

Re: Should I get a 2011 Etios as my first car?

Please check out some of the issue which I noticed for a Toyta Etios owned by one of my close relative model 2014.

Engine vibrates when the car engine is switched on and I also felt the car shakes and creates noise. Further when a car is moving on the road, a great amount of sound from the tyre reaches the inside cabin of the car, which is very irritating while driving.

Secondly the pickup is very low at all the gear as observed by me. The most important aspect is that the mileage of Etios is very low. In normal city condition, you will hardly get an average of 10KML.
getgoing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 15:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgoing View Post
Please check out some of the issue which I noticed for a Toyta Etios owned by one of my close relative model 2014.

Engine vibrates when the car engine is switched on and I also felt the car shakes and creates noise. Further when a car is moving on the road, a great amount of sound from the tyre reaches the inside cabin of the car, which is very irritating while driving.

Secondly the pickup is very low at all the gear as observed by me. The most important aspect is that the mileage of Etios is very low. In normal city condition, you will hardly get an average of 10KML.
Thanks. I am very well aware of these. Willing to make a compromise. Anyways, I heard that aftermarket dampening might help resolve the NVH issues - is it true?
wheelspinner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 15:59   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner View Post
Thanks. I am very well aware of these. Willing to make a compromise. Anyways, I heard that aftermarket dampening might help resolve the NVH issues - is it true?

There is a possibility of reducing noise in the cabin after damping NVH components. This will certainly improve comfort. As you are already aware of the cabin noise, you can go ahead , as I knew that the Toyota engine is one of the most refined engines on the Indian market.
Old 21st February 2024, 16:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgoing View Post
as I knew that the Toyota engine is one of the most refined engines on the Indian market.
There was an eror code that caused a check engine light - P1604 that is related to startup malfunctioning. However, the mechanic claimed that this was related to the past issues and is now rectified. He mentioned that deleting the error code removed the check engine light. Is this a sign of a major issue? I am confused.
Old 21st February 2024, 16:38   #6
BANNED

Quote:
There was an eror code that caused a check engine light - P1604 that is related to startup malfunctioning. However, the mechanic claimed that this was related to the past issues and is now rectified. He mentioned that deleting the error code removed the check engine light. Is this a sign of a major issue? I am confused.
I would recommend that you spend an additional Rs.500-1000 on a trustworthy mechanic who has experience servicing vehicles. Take him for a through inspection, who can provide further information or opinions about the car. This will undoubtedly help you save your hefty money from being spent if the car has serious issues.
getgoing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 17:29   #7
BHPian

13 yrs+ two owners + unknown service history for 12k kms + discontinued model + asking over 1.6 L and certified by a GoMechanic guy no less = more red flags than in a communist convention
Quote:
My Rationale
I can afford more, but right now I don't have much use of a car. It is just to get better at driving a car, and explore if I would like to get a more expensive car. I suffer from buyer's remorse - so jumping to an expensive car is a no go for me. Having said that, what I want is a fuss free, good looking, and cheap car.
As a used car buyer myself, yes it’s a great way to save some serious cash but needs a lot of patience, diligence and some luck. Go for a single owner, 2-3 lakh car, around 5 years old and run less than 50k. Shouldn’t cost you more than this. As for inspection, just take it to any dealer and tell them to do a paid general inspection.
Iyencar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 19:27   #8
BHPian

I purchased the same car 2011 black etios from cars 24 Kolkata in 2022 for 2.4 L. Changed 4 tyres, new exide battery and changed suspension set in 2 years. It is good enough to go for another 10 yrs. I purchased it at 36kms. Has Crossed 1L kms. Have been to Tawang and Zemithang twice, Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Ladakh including Turtuk, Hanle to Munsiyari, UK via Manali and Auli. Munsiyari to Pokhara Nepal via Banbhasa border crossing Kathmandu, Tanki border to Siligiri, Kolkata and back to Bangalore. Madhya Pradesh entire state tour ex-Nashik, all the places before Indore, Ujjain, bhimbetka, amarkantak, jabalpur, khajuraho Orchha, Jhansi, and every place in MP, Many Bangalore-Mumbai-Nashik runs. Bangalore Mysore, Coorg (Kodagu), Wayanad, Thekkady, Munnar, Marayoor, Allepey, Kochi, Kollam, Trivandrum Balarampuram, Attingal. Entire Kerala entire state till Kanyakumari to TN Rameswaram Madurai and bangalore last July. I have got an average of 14 - 17kmpl in highways with a always on 1 or 2. Mostly 3 pax Ladakh to Munsiyari 4 pax and more than 150 kgs of luggage in the humongous boot. (We even carry a 20 litre Bisleri pump water can) . In Bangalore, Mumbai or Kolkata average falls to 13-14 kmpl. Just don't push the accelerator much. It can pull at very low speeds all the way to changing to 5 th gear at 55 kmph. Etios petrol is a very well built peppy car. A breeze to drive on highways and reaches 160 kmph in Purvanchal Yamuna or Lucknow-Agra super highways in 185 Contis. Low cost of maintenance, barebones but highly capable. Just change the tyres to 185 contis. Go buy it and enjoy it.

Last edited by SafariMan : 21st February 2024 at 19:44. Reason: Spelling and grammatical errors.
SafariMan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 20:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
As for inspection, just take it to any dealer and tell them to do a paid general inspection.
Cars24 is refusing to let the car be taken to a Toyota service center for general inspection even after I paid the token Even individuals don't allow service center visits nowadays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMan View Post
Just change the tyres to 185 contis. Go buy it and enjoy it.
Thanks a lot. What about the P1604 startability malfunctioning error code in OBD. Is this normal? Mechanic said it's fixed earlier but it's showing up under current issues. There's also some noise in driver side door and upon braking.

Last edited by wheelspinner : 21st February 2024 at 20:51.
Old 21st February 2024, 22:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMan View Post
Crossed 1L kms. Have been to Tawang and Zemithang twice, Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Ladakel Just change the tyres to 185 contis. Go buy it and enjoy it.
Unbelievable amount of travel, hats off to you, very enviable. Keep driving snd share your experiences.

Last edited by majumon : 21st February 2024 at 22:21. Reason: Had missed the quote
majumon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 00:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Cars24 is refusing to let the car be taken to a Toyota service center for general inspection even after I paid the token Even individuals don't allow service center visits nowadays!
That’s ridiculous. Take your business elsewhere. I got mine from a local used car dealer and he had his driver drive the vehicle for a good 20 kms to the dealership of my choice. I just paid for petrol and tolls. Spinny was also ok with having a car they had checked at the service centre.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 01:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
That’s ridiculous. Take your business elsewhere. I got mine from a local used car dealer and he had his driver drive the vehicle for a good 20 kms to the dealership of my choice. I just paid for petrol and tolls. Spinny was also ok with having a car they had checked at the service centre.
Yes. You can only take it to a service center of your choice once you have paid in full. Then within 7 days if you aren't satisfied, you can return the car.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd February 2024 at 10:41. Reason: Very minor typo.
wheelspinner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 07:30   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Etios is a fuss free car. Its important to look for an accident free car. Rest mechanical and electrical issues are an easy fix. The car that you are considering is the G variant and doesn't look like the G sp. Please consider getting a variant with ABS and airbags.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 08:56   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The car in question is a reliable machine (Etios) but considering its already 13 years old, I would suggest you look for a newer car, moreover the concerns raised would be more than enough reason to look away from it, but if you want to take a gamble, then its better on a Toyota than any other car.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 09:34   #15
BHPian

No service history for the last 12k km, only 45k km in about 13 years - to me, this sounds very fishy and I’d think the odo reading has been tampered with.

I’d avoid this car - especially when you are not being allowed to checkout the car to your satisfaction. There are plenty of used cars available in the market, give this a pass.

EDIT: if you’re just looking for a used car to hone your driving skills, and you’ll be selling it off within a couple of years, I’d recommend Maruti true value. Cars are reasonably in good condition and you don’t have to run around workshops for the few years of ownership.

Last edited by three10 : 22nd February 2024 at 09:36.
three10 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks