Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2007, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Should I sell my flair and go for a Honda/Fiesta

Hi guys,

I currently own a ford icon flair and I use the car only on weekends and for vacation trips. Its a 2004 model and has a meter reading of 12k. Its perfectly maintained, serviced at ford every 3 months and dont havent experienced any technical problems so far. What price can I expect if offer it for sale ?

The basic reason for selling the car is,
I feel the interiors are not very good
The power of the engine is pretty bad (with ac)
The model is getting outdated
To avoid excessive maintanence which might come in the years to come
Depreciation

My choices are Ford fiesta or Honda City. My drives are usually in the city and would like to have a car with enough power so that I dont notice the lack of it while switching on the AC. A comfortable ride too is also there at high priority along with good resale value.

Looking at my requirements what do you guys suggest ? Should I sell my ford or use it for sometime more looking at the investment of 5 lac+. I am a bit confused about this and would be grateful if anyone can shed some light.
Old 18th September 2007, 14:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest keep the car and wait for some time as new models maybe coming and the nhc is due for a facelift
Old 18th September 2007, 16:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Remember that selling it now would also result in considerable amount of loss, since resale of Flair is pretty low and your car value would be depreciated by quite an amount.
Old 18th September 2007, 16:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

3 years and only 12K . I am sure anybody who buys your car would be a damn lucky fella. Well, since in 3 years its already depreciated to a large extent. If you have the cash, then sell it asap and go for a new car of your choice.
Old 18th September 2007, 21:05   #5
BHPian

The Ikon would have already depreciated. So wait for 4-5 months and you'll more options to choose from.

If you want to change immediately, then as your requirements are mostly in city, then NHC will be the best choice.
Old 19th September 2007, 09:59   #6
BHPian

Thanks a lot for everyones suggestions. Even if I am not using the car much the depreciation/resale value of ford vehicles compared to Honda ones and the current inadequacies of my flair made me start thinking about going for a new one. I guess the best way out is wait for a few months for the facelift of nhc and get one then. Thanks once again, you guys have been quite helpful.
Old 19th September 2007, 10:03   #7
BHPian

One more query.

How much can I expect if I try to sell my flair.

Specs :
May 2004, Steel mist
12k kms done, regular services @ford every 3-4 months. Mp3+amp+3way+2way.
Old 19th September 2007, 10:07   #8
BHPian

An important thing to keep in mind is the amount of cash you are willing to dole out. You dont use the car much (12k in 3 years!!).. For a new car (either Honda or Fiesta) substantial investments may be required. If you have the cash then you can go in for the 10th Anniv Honda City (VTEC)... IMHO even NHC suffers with the AC on in performance terms unless you go for the VTEC...

It would meet several of your requirements:

Decent interiors
Low Maintenance cost
Good power even with AC on
Old 19th September 2007, 13:51   #9
BHPian

If you sell you car, you dont gain much. Keep it. Its hardly used.

Its not like a NHC wont depreciate, right? Any car depreciates regardless of whether you use it or not and how you use/abuse it. if it is a question of depreciation, then it doesnt matter which car you own. The current one is hardly used, in good shape, not an accident vehicle.

Keep your current car - thats a more practical thing to do.

If you wish to indulge, then ofcourse, thats a different matter.
Old 19th September 2007, 14:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
Hi guys,
Depreciation
Since your car is already depreciated, keeping it makes more economic sense. Also, since the car has run only 13k i would expect it to be trouble free for a few more years.

Now, having said that, if interiors and AC are your main requirement, then only go for a new car. I have found all cars to suffer when AC is switched on. However, the climate control cars seemed to manage this better and did not have a jerk when switching on the AC. The was more progressive and not immediate. (Users of climate control cars may be able to comment on this).
Old 19th September 2007, 14:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliej
If you sell you car, you dont gain much. Keep it. Its hardly used.

Its not like a NHC wont depreciate, right? Any car depreciates regardless of whether you use it or not and how you use/abuse it. if it is a question of depreciation, then it doesnt matter which car you own. The current one is hardly used, in good shape, not an accident vehicle.

Keep your current car - thats a more practical thing to do.
I cosign.

20characters
Old 19th September 2007, 14:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

The cheaper the car, the lesser it depreciates.

Sell your flair & get a fiesta or NHC or a SX4, makes sense.
Old 19th September 2007, 14:50   #13
BHPian

if u r not happy with your interior spend some amount after it and about a/c modify little,
coz i am sure u won't get more then 2.5 or max 2.7 for flair and if u r going for nhc it will cost u 8.5
so think twice before going for it
Old 19th September 2007, 14:51   #14
BHPian

I would keep the car if I was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post

The basic reason for selling the car is,
Depreciation

My choices are Ford fiesta or Honda City. My drives are usually in the city and would like to have a car with enough power so that I dont notice the lack of it while switching on the AC. A comfortable ride too is also there at high priority along with good resale value.

Looking at my requirements what do you guys suggest ? Should I sell my ford or use it for sometime more looking at the investment of 5 lac+. I am a bit confused about this and would be grateful if anyone can shed some light.
I agree with a few other that said keeping the car makes more sense. Unless you want to indulge, have you explored the option of modding the car for better power and going for interior decor. You can do some mods and interior for around 50-60K I believe. Let us say even you spend a lakh on this, it would be cheaper than going for a new one.

I would ask another question: how long would you keep the car if it had enough power and good interior. You may want to think along those lines too.
Old 24th September 2007, 10:44   #15
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for your inputs. I think I will keep the car rather than selling it. Got the oppurtunity to test drive a SX4 yesterday and except for the climate control and continuous performance of the engine even when switching on the ac, I didnt like the interiors (the fully loaded variant has plastics which looks more like that of an alto in terms of build quality). Also the inbuilt stock HU and component speakers are not good compared to the efx comps which I got fitted through the help of Nitrous.

Seeing my car along with the SX4 I I think I will keep my car for a couple of years and go for an Accord or one of its likes. As the bhpians suggested, I would be better off with a good mod job.

Any recommendation for mods for the interiors ? Thanks a lot for your help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks