Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2007, 16:17   #1

Petrol variant or CRDE/CRDI variant car is better ??

Experts,

i have a basic (and dumb i guess) question and thought you experts might shed some light on it with all your experiance backing your views.

which version is better ? petrol one or diesel one ? i know it depends on the usage but i hear(atleast all the time , i used to hear) that petrol is better version than diesel as "for diesel version, you have to make it run on everyday basis .atleast start the engine and keep it idle for some time(like in ambassidor days). for petrol you do not need that ,as even after one month of keeping it idle, you can start it easily but not the case with diesel". with all these crdi/crde technologies coming to diesel variant of almost all the cars, i doubt. is it so ?

if both petrol or diesel one are similar in nature, can one go for diesel one b/w the two considering the "fuel" prices , mileage and "maintenance cost ".

i ask this because my usage will be limited and sparingly will be travelling 200km or so. apart from that, only to travel in bangalore-city limits.

i am planning for Logan 1.4GLX or Logan 1.5DLE (as i cannot stretch my budget)

would appriciate if one could brief with respect to the engine difference and fuel comsumption,mileage ...

Thanks
Uvais
Old 20th October 2007, 19:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

There has been a similar discussion here , perhaps you would want to read it.
Old 21st October 2007, 13:06   #3

dadu,

i did go through the message board . the assumption is made based on the "running" condition.

my doubt is : if i do not use the diesel car(assuming it is with crde/crdi and is logan 1.5DLE) for 1month at a stretch ,can i start the car as easily as can with the petrol variant or should i have to make sure i atleast start the engine and idle it atleast 2-3mins daily basis even i don't use it?
Old 29th October 2007, 15:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Every car will be down if you keep idle for 1 month at a stretch. The battery will be dead. You need to jump start the cars if you have a problem like this.

Both CRDE/CRDI engines are definately better than the petrol counterparts. The performance and other parameters will also be much better compared to Petrol. Only the revv will be better in petrol cars and during the traffic signals, when you want to zoom after the green signal, then the petrol will be best.

Ideally, all cars needs to be kept in idle conditions about 2~3 mins atleast once a week. This will keep the Engine in condition and also the battery and other parts.

There are many threads available in this forum and you can go through them if you have doubts on this.
Old 29th October 2007, 16:46   #5
BHPian

I did not use my Viva CRDI for a month. It started easily. Just make sure you unplug the terminals on the battery before you go out for a month.
I agree with snaronikar's comment above. the CRDI engines are really good now. But you pay roughly a lakh upfront, over the cost of a petrol variant. Now what you'll have to figure out based on your running is how long it'll take you to work off that extra lakh viz a viz the savings in fuel costs. You only benefit from the fuel cost saving after that period.
Old 29th October 2007, 17:21   #6
BHPian

My Viva CRDI started on the first crank after a month of sitting idle. What you need to do is detatch the battery terminals when going out for a month.
I agree with snaronikar's comment above. CRDI engines are definitely giving their petrol counterparts some serious competition. But you also pay roughly a lakh or more extra upfront, for a CRDI over the petrol variant of the same model.
What you need to figure out is how long it will take you to work off this upfront cost vis a vis the saving in fuel cost. Only after you've worked off this additional cost upfront will you be doing any real saving on fuel.
Old 29th October 2007, 21:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Better?

The answer to what is "better" might be easier to answer if we knew what criteria you deem as "better". Here are some considerations but not necessarily ones everyone would pick.

Diesel strong points:

Fuel economy
fuel cost
longevity of engine, many diesels last longer than many petrol
low maintenance cost of engine (no tune ups)

Petrol strong points:

fast warm ups
lower initial costs
less poluting
quicker accelleration (not always)
quieter
smoother, less vibration
less motor oil needed

easier to start after long idle??... you can put one or two good batteries in a diesel and also have no problems whatsoever. Diesels are used heavily in the coldest parts of North America and they start right up when the batteries are strong and the fuel is good. Modern diesels are not bothered by cold or long inactivity as older ones were.
Old 30th October 2007, 03:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@DirtyDan list - Diesels are more tourquey and much easier and more fun to drive in traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks