Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2007, 23:32   #1
BHPian

Buying a Hyundai Verna (possible accident car)

Sorry for this dumb post, and I know most of you will say to stay away from it. But this is all Team-BHP and Maruti's fault. Maruti for the terrible waiting period on the Swift VDI ( its my second month on the wait list).
Team-BHP for the awesome reviews on the cars, the modifications available, the things I could possibly do with more horsepower. Is there a rehab for Team-BHP addicts?

But let's start at the beginning.
I was out today and stopped to meet a friend opposite a used car showroom.
I saw a Hyundai Verna, 3 months old, with about 5k on the odo on sale for 7.9L negotiable.
Interiors aren't great, stereo has been removed and looks like a dog chewed on the dash.
I couldn't get a look at the car really well but the insurance was 3rd party. So first thing in my mind is major accident, 98% likely.
Just wanted to know why I shouldn't make a really low bid for this car and see if the other party accepts it?
Apart from the chance, that the car was involved in a fatality or the possible damages will really catch me later financially, is there a reason I shouldn't go ahead with this?
Old 22nd October 2007, 06:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
I couldn't get a look at the car really well but the insurance was 3rd party.
3 months old, with about 5k on the odo on sale for 7.9L negotiable!
With a 3rd party insurance? Something seriously wrong somewhere.

What makes you look at that car?
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Interiors aren't great, stereo has been removed and looks like a dog chewed on the dash.
major accident, 98% likely.
Dude! are these the features that you want in your new car? And if u can afford the 7.9L pricetag, why not go for a new one? even though you may have to spend a little more, the peace of mind which u'll have is priceless!
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:54   #4
BHPian

With 7.9 lakhs in hand, why would you want spend on an accident vehiche? You can buy a brand new car and enjoy the piece of mind.
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to know why I shouldn't make a really low bid for this car and see if the other party accepts it?
What sort of 'low' are we looking at here? 5 lacs?
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
What sort of 'low' are we looking at here? 5 lacs?
You've got my point right. I don't know what kind of low but 5l - 6.5Lish depending on what has happened.
The car is a CRDi VGT, and I can have the bling done. I am not even sure if the car has had an accident yet, but it does seem more than likely. It was only in yesterday so even the showroom guy hasn't checked it out yet.
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

You haven't described the exteriors at all. Any 'major' accident will leave quite a few tell-tale signs.
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You haven't described the exteriors at all. Any 'major' accident will leave quite a few tell-tale signs.
Exteriors are pretty good. No tell tale signs of any accident. Clean, in fact.
As new exteriors as possible. The only reason I feel that there could have been an accident is that the insurance is third party. I shall go have a closer look at the car today to see what the story is.
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:58   #9
BHPian

I know of a similar story:

There used to be an 'agent' who used to procure Brand New Hyundai cars and sell them at 50% (or lesser) of the original price. He said that those were actually kind of 'factory rejects' or cars that failed the quality test - mainly for mechanical reasons/ chassis etc.

Instead of discarding them, Hyundai sells these cars off to some illegal agents who find prospective buyers, and get the papers done (probably illegally).

That guy was a driver at Le Royal Meridien in Chennai (he drove me around Chennai when I had been there to take interviews for a company I used to work for, earlier) and he said he had links with the Hyundai factory in Chennai. He offered me a Brand New Accent for 2.5 Lacs + 10% as his commission.

Stay away from it, Pradeep...unless you get it verified from a really knowledgeable and trustworthy source. This MIGHT be one such car, because there is only 3rd party insurance.

Never, ever trust ANY of the used car dealers, especially in Bangalore.
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Can you see any service station stickers on it, if yes, you can get the service history of this car from there. Some companies do keep only 3rd party Insurance or perhaps this individual wasnt too sure of keeping it for a long time so took a 3rd party, benefit of dbout can be given.

Best bet would be to catch a hyundai technician, offer him some 1k-2k amount and get him to check it out ansd take his opinion.
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:09   #11
BHPian

Do you need the service station sticker for it? I thought it was all centralized so you can find out from any dealership!

@Pitbull: Mate 6 lakhs max if you really really want it. I personally (like I am sure many others) would not have touched the car with a bargepole. I mean shelling out 6 lakhs and not getting peace of mind!

And the 7.9 that he is asking is almost as ridiculous as it gets! Spit and run if he insists on the same price!
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

7.9 lakhs for a 3-month old accidental, poorly maintained car!. How much are you saving over a new car?.
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
7.9 lakhs for a 3-month old accidental, poorly maintained car!. How much are you saving over a new car?.
Hey Guys,
I am still not sure its a lemon. I'll have to go check it out properly.
Rest assured I will not pay 7.9L for the car. And I will check to see if there is any structural damage.
Let me see if I can get the real story behind this car and then shall update here.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:01   #14
Team-BHP Support

Chances are it was used as a taxi unreg - and now being sold off
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:08   #15
BHPian

With 7.9 L in hand might as well go in for a new one and have peace of mind as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks