Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2004, 00:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

hey guys
i want a second hand lancer or a city ....

cant make up my mind.... firstly i wanna know which ones more expensive to maintain.....cost of parts n stuff.....(keepin in mind its second hand)

and i need help ....main criteria is tht i should be of a mileage les than 25 k.....def not more than tht 2001+ prefreble late 2002 or 2003....

Budget .....hmmmmmm most imp..between 4 to 4-5 lakhs could strecth it but not too much though...hey any suggeestions......

first plz temme whether i should go in for a city or lancer

help......!!!!!!

Old 27th November 2004, 00:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

We have started a new section What Car?? Please post such queries there
Old 27th November 2004, 00:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well i can't tell you abou the Lancer but maintaining the City Vtec has been pretty reasonable. A regular service costs between 1100 to 1300 bucks.

The 20 K service cost me 2900 bucks, it was only the 50K service that came upto 5000 bucks as a lot of things such as spark plugs, engine oil, brake oil, gearbox oil were replaced.

I recently fitted new tie rod ends on my car which came to around 450 bucks for a pair.

Only prob is, getting certain parts individually can be a pain. i recently found power steering fluid leaking from the right tierod bush. Got it checked at Honda, they said some power steering coil is worn out and that the whole assemble will have to be replaced as the part cannot be bought individually.

Cost, he said would be around 10.7 K. I'll be going to Mlore soon, will get it checked there.

I suggest that yu try for a City Vtec, if you don't find any well maintained ones, then go in for the 1.5 and get it tweaked up, it will perform better than the Vtec with slight engine mods.

Prob with the lancer is that it's heavy and the specific output of the engine is sad. It's a diff story if you plan to plonk a Evo engine in it. But in stock form, it's not really that fast.

Shan2nu

Old 27th November 2004, 04:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Depends on yr priorities
The lancer is much spacious and comfortable compared to the city

The city plus points are sharp hadling and a free revving engine.
If u can compromise on power , go for lancer

the maintainance is ultra low, but overall the lancer's maintainance would not be more than 5000 per year compared to the city

And Lancer cost abt 1 lac less than a city 1.5 of similar vintage.
Old 27th November 2004, 06:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well.....

1) The styling cues on the Lancer is much much better than the City.

2) City,u crash u die.Lancer,u crash u might survive.

3) Lancer stands no where in comparison with the City as far as performance is concerned.

4) Lancer is one of the best cars to modify.Just a plain jane SFXi kit makes it look sporty.In City,one has to really go to the extremes to give it a sporty look.

5) Lancer interiors are better than the dated City ones.

6) One can get a nice 2001 Lancer for 3.8L.Whereas a 2001 City would cost around 4.5L.
Buy a Lancer and invest that 70K on performance.It can leave the City for dead!

My choice : Lancer.Its got the looks,comfort and saves ur money.Only thing it lacks is performance,which can be worked upon.No big deal.

X

Old 27th November 2004, 12:17   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

cant make up my mind.... firstly i wanna know which ones more expensive to maintain.....cost of parts n stuff.....(keepin in mind its second hand)
Over the long term, a City is cheaper to maintain than a Maruti 800 (Just ask Ajmat)

GTO
Old 28th December 2004, 02:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

lancer s the car
saw an ad in the times drive a fortnight bk 02 model sfxi 5 lakhs nego
manson .
Old 28th December 2004, 04:22   #8

City or Lancer Compared

I had a lancer and driven a city for a while too.
Here are my opinions:
Lancer:
Advantages: Good interior spacing, Good legroom at the back and good design of the body.
Drawbacks: Sluggish pick up, max speed of 175 km/h. Think wheels so less grip, no rear disc breaks, Mileage(10-14 km/ litre) depending on the way you drive.

Honda City:
Advantages: Not bad but not as good as lancer design, Very good performance pickupwise, Good mileage(12-16lm/litre) depending on the way you drive. Max speed of 185-190 km/h (On release of throttle lock it can touch 200 km/h depending on the condition of the engine).

Disavantages: Not so good design, Bad intererior spacing, Less legroom at the backl, And the new ones I hate the look of them infact the old design is way better (this is just my opinion, NO HARM TO HONDA CITY LOVERS), Also the dash board of the old ones was not as accessible for the driver while driving).

If you want to know more of the pick or permormance point of it just ask and I will tell you.

Regards
Pranav Jairam
Old 28th December 2004, 10:18   #9
BHPian

i'd go with shan2nu...
if ur looking for performance, its the HONDA! get urself headers and maybe a ported head...
if ur gnna be shofer(cant spell that) driven, its the lancer...
cheers
Old 28th December 2004, 18:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

no dude...im def not gonna be driven round the car is for my exclusive drivin pleasure....was thinkin of kitting it up and a sports exhaust and may be k&n's and later on a turbo charger....
so ......was wonderin which 1??
Old 28th December 2004, 18:30   #11
bhp
BHPian

go for the lancer then without a thought
but its not cheap to maintain

Last edited by Dippy : 28th December 2004 at 19:37.
Old 28th December 2004, 20:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

go for a city which is well maintained.the vtecs will have this jerking problem.i suggest u go for the 1.5.and then do a free flow n k&n,and ur car will rock.and we will have one more city fan here.
in terms of performance u just cannot compare the lancer to the city.
but maybe i terms of looks the lancer may be more good looking ,but once ur inside the car ,who cares abt the looks.its the driving pleasure that matters.
though the city is very cheap to maintain ,as the car is out of production may be u cud have to worry abt spares.
i suggest u drive both cars once and u will see the differnce both in performance and in FE also.
so its the CITY for me
Old 28th December 2004, 23:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Why not a Baleno ???
Old 29th December 2004, 10:19   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
though the city is very cheap to maintain ,as the car is out of production may be u cud have to worry abt spares.
Honda has guaranteed that it will supply the spares of the old City for another 10 years minimum. And its no favor. Remember, that with so many old city's sold its another mode of revenue generation for them.

GTO
Old 29th December 2004, 11:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen
Why not a Baleno ???
because here its between the city n the lancer

Most Viewed