Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2007, 09:55   #1

Is it worth to go for Ford flair 1.3 CNG ??

Just last week i inquired at Cargo Ford, Ahmedabad. They offer me 1.3 CNG [ with company warranty ] at 5.90 lacs. They can given me 18,500 insurance free and 5,000 worth accessaries. But i have no information about cars' performance with CNG kit.

[1] Which points should be considered while finalizing the deal of Ford 1.3 CNG ?
[2] Do they provide best and latest CNG kit with Lambda Sensor and all other things ?
[3] Do they provide 12 k.g. tank or newer 14 k.g. tank ?

Please help me by sharing your valuable experiences and knowledge [ My budget is maximum 6 lacs. I have short listed two cars. One is Ford flair 1.3 and other Chevy U-va. I have taken test of multiple cars like Hyundai i-10, Getz 1.1 and 1.3, Logan, Swift DDIS and petrol. If, Ford Flair with CNG is running without problem then i would definitely go for it. otherwise U-va]. So, kindly solve my confusion and help me in final choice of car.
Old 12th November 2007, 20:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why not the regular Ikon Flair? It has got a decent F.E. which I assume you should be ok with since you are considering the UVA.
For my month old Ikon, I am getting 10Kms in the city and 15Kms in highway with 100% AC. Expect it to go up after the 2nd service. The vehicle has done ~1200 Kms till now.

- Jag
Old 13th November 2007, 12:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

bidurin, why exactly are you looking for the CNG version? Do you travel a lot?

Since the UVA is on your list, why not look at the petrol Flair? You can check out my long term ownership thread on the same. I get around 13kmpl in city, with low A/C usage. Highways range from between 16-17kmpl.

Down south, the CNG version of the Flair has not been launched, and so dont have much idea about it.
Old 13th November 2007, 13:31   #4
BHPian

I vote for Petrol Ikon now the Ikon has Ikool offer which comes with mp3, leather vinyl setas, bluetooth controls etc inclusive...

My Ikon gets me btw 12-13 kmpl with 90% a/c and on highway the max was 18kmpl.
Old 13th November 2007, 17:28   #5

Thanks a lot ...

Thanks a lot for giving your suggestions. But friends, my monthly drive range is more than 1600 kms. Besides this day by day petrol price is rising. I am living in Ahmedabad. We have good number of CNG filling stations in our city as well as neighbouring cities. When i have asked to Cargo Ford representative about CNG kit then he replied that there is specific system of automatic shift from CNG to Petrol and Petrol to CNG according to engines' RPM. I have not heard anything like this before specifically about CNG kit systems. He also told me that due to high octane (approximately 110 compared to petrol-maximum 91) CNG fual will be 1.5 times more efficient than petrol. Cost is also one half. So, ultimately lots of money saving.
If, i will go for CNG flair option then could you please tell me whether kit will have adverse effects on engine in short term basis ? If, that is the case then i will not at all go for CNG option.
With your expert advices about ikon 1.3 petrol model, i am very much inclined for the same. On the other hand running cost per k.m.is also lucrative factor.
expecting your more and more suggestions and advices..please..
Old 14th November 2007, 09:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ford

I can not answer your question about CNG. But, I am familiar with Ford having lived in the U.S. for many years. Ford builds pretty good trucks and up-market cars. But they are a notch or 2 below the Japanese, Toyota and Honda particularly, in terms of quality in the small car market. My personal opinion is buy a diesel and forget about Ford and CNG. Also, it seems to me that your dealer is giving some rather unbelievable answers. The questions in your opening post of this thread should be answered in a straight forward manner by him.

Most Viewed