Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Used Siena/ Petra 1.2?

Saw an ad in the classifieds today: 2002 Siena 1.2 (New Look) for 1.25L.

Would like to ask fellow tbhp members/ owners/ former owners:
- Is it a good deal. And is the price is equivalent to the current resale value?

- How good was the Siena 1.2, in terms of pickup & FE? (Till what I've managed to read after searching.. its decent)

- Is the 1.2 is serviceable at the Tata-Fiat dealerships?

- Any idea about Petra 1.2s? Did they exist at all?? If yes, any indicative resale value of a 2004/5 Petra 1.2?

The car will be used by my girlfriend. So the power should be decent enough for her. Also, I've zeroed in on a Siena/Petra 1.2. Please, do not suggest any other models.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 23rd December 2007 at 10:14.
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

just my 2 cents: if its for your girl, wont a hatch be easier for her?? Unless she really needs the boot, i'd suggest something with a short bonnet, like a wagonR or a santro.
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
wont a hatch be easier for her??
She's been driving hatches for 10 years now, i think its time for an upgrade
Old 25th December 2007, 12:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

c'mon guys! no one willing to share or give me a little gyan?
Old 25th December 2007, 13:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Don't think you'd find too many used petras. Plus servicing it might be a huge issue. I'm not sure how good fiat service is in Delhi.

I'd say in that budget, look for used esteems. A friend of mine got a 2001 esteem in bangalore for 1.2lac. Really good deal.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 25th December 2007 at 13:57.
Old 25th December 2007, 16:55   #6
BHPian

Good car, tempting price but bad engine option. The 1.2 was not enough for the Palio, let alone Petra. The Siena 1.2 should be better than the Petra 1.2, because the Petra would be having the euro 3 engine, which in essence is a detuned version of the 1.2 engine. PLus, I doubt if the heavy body of the Siena/Petra will help you with F.E. Yet, TD the car and decide for yourself. But have to agree, its a lot of car for that amount of money

Last edited by roms : 25th December 2007 at 17:04.
Old 25th December 2007, 17:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Saw an ad in the classifieds today: 2002 Siena 1.2 (New Look) for 1.25L.

Would like to ask fellow tbhp members/ owners/ former owners:
- Is it a good deal. And is the price is equivalent to the current resale value?
Someone in Palio group had bought a 3 year old Sienna 1.2 ELX in Mumbai for 1.3L last year. So, this deal isnt very far from being good. Depends on how you look at it. I think 5 year old fully loaded 3 box for 1L odd is a good deal. BTW, Sienna also had a 1.2EL model (not fully loaded)
Quote:
- How good was the Siena 1.2, in terms of pickup & FE? (Till what I've managed to read after searching.. its decent)
It is a heavy car, so ride is good. Pickup isnt great but expect about 10kpl.
Quote:
- Is the 1.2 is serviceable at the Tata-Fiat dealerships?
Yes.
Quote:
- Any idea about Petra 1.2s? Did they exist at all?? If yes, any indicative resale value of a 2004/5 Petra 1.2?
Petra was not released in 1.2, they only had the 1.6 and 1.9D, AFAIK. In fact Petra didnt have engine capacity on the version -- it was just called Petra EL which was fully loaded (Note: there was no Petra ELX. Yes, it is confusing, but what FIAT has done here isnt?)
Quote:
The car will be used by my girlfriend. So the power should be decent enough for her. Also, I've zeroed in on a Siena/Petra 1.2. Please, do not suggest any other models.
Fair enough. But Palio platform facia is fairly high, and visibility is something that I have heard many women complaint about a Palio/Petra. JFYI.

Last edited by determinus : 25th December 2007 at 17:59.
Old 25th December 2007, 18:02   #8
BHPian

Me thinks 1.2 on a siena makes it seriously underpowered. I remember reading reviews accordingly too. If it is an old Siena, the weight is likely to be more than later generations of Siena/ Petra.
Old 25th December 2007, 19:24   #9
BHPian

It is not that peppy to drive, but will give a very comfy drive for sure.
1.2 petra for that price is a better bet than esteem( which will rattle a lot)

a well maintained sienna 1.2 will give 12kmpl if driven below 2000rpm.

get a a-z check up ( especially sensor /ecm/ suspension) if u r into the bet.
Old 26th December 2007, 19:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

True, it will be a lot of car for that money. The only reason i'm interested in this car.

But what is still stopping me to make a final decision is that maintenance on a 5 yr old car will be high and the palio/siena aren't that cheap to maintain. Was taking a look at ACI's article on spares. And the Palio was the costliest in terms of spares and major maintenance parts.
Old 28th December 2007, 13:10   #11

Hey mate..

Its good value for money. If its in good condition and has got a maintenance history - you could as well go for it - as long as you wouldnt have to spend a penny on it after buying it. I dont think power is as important to women as is safety / security - which the siena offers in plenty. Hope you got the vehicle thoroughly checked by your mechanic!!

cheers
Shankar
Old 29th December 2007, 08:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Couldn't go to see the car, will go in a day or two. Also, looking for other deals, cuz this guy has an EL variant. Would prefer ELX.
Old 29th December 2007, 12:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
But what is still stopping me to make a final decision is that maintenance on a 5 yr old car will be high and the palio/siena aren't that cheap to maintain. Was taking a look at ACI's article on spares. And the Palio was the costliest in terms of spares and major maintenance parts.
When it conks, yes perhaps. But the chances of something failing is less when compared to many other 5 year old cars. Especially true with the earlier batches on Palio platform. In the 4 years of usage of my GTX, the only thing I changed was a bit of the left suspension. I know of a guy who has only changed his wiper blades in 5 years! But all said, you are getting a well built car for ~1.5L, so spending a few to clean it up should be part of the plan. Good luck!

Most Viewed