Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 18:34   #1
BHPian

Help please, in buying second hand car

Hello guys,
I need some suggessions by team bhpians regarding a 2nd hand car. One of my friend with Budget upto 4 lakhs wants to buy a good car.
His running is too less. Previously his car had done just 34,000 KM since 2001 to 2008. This time he wants to upgrade his car to a sedan and ABS is must. Preferable choice:
1. Accent 1.6L with ABS
2. Elantra GLS

Both the cars have ABS and suits his budget.
Please suggest if we can have more car with ABS in 4 lakh budget.

It is getting hard to get Elantra GLS and especially Good Accent 1.6L in Delhi with good price. We are getting Elantra GT (non ABS) and Elantra CRDi.

I have few Ques. for BHPians and i will be thankful if i get replies regarding the queries.
Q1. Is it possible to install ABS to Elantra GT from the company?
Q2. I had mentioned my friend's running per year which is very less, is it recommended to buy Elantra CRDi. If he buys it and starts it in a week or so, then he will get problems with Elantra CRDi?

Please help guys.
Thanx
Old 26th June 2012, 15:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Help please, in buying second hand car

@ Gangsta..refer the link by deepashpuri

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-mistakes.html

It covers virtually all mistakes that you can possibly make when choosing a second hand car.

Both Accent and Elantra are know "lemon" cars as they deliver all sorts of problems including engine work and clutch work that can burn a hole in your pocket.

Why don't you look for an used Skoda Octavia that will be more value for money and less trouble during the course of your usage ? Granted it doesn't have ABS but unless you are a rough rider, the ABS doesn't come into picture at all...
Old 26th June 2012, 17:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car View Post
@ Gangsta..refer the link by deepashpuri

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-mistakes.html

It covers virtually all mistakes that you can possibly make when choosing a second hand car.

Both Accent and Elantra are know "lemon" cars as they deliver all sorts of problems including engine work and clutch work that can burn a hole in your pocket.

Why don't you look for an used Skoda Octavia that will be more value for money and less trouble during the course of your usage ? Granted it doesn't have ABS but unless you are a rough rider, the ABS doesn't come into picture at all...
You bumped 4 year old Thread, The guy who putted up the query has never logged in the forum since last year. And look at his profile, I guess he got the Accent

BTW I completely disagree with your post here, that Accent are known as 'lemon' car, from where you heard of it ?

I own a 9 year old accent with 81k kms on the ODO. Over the years the only expense which, i encountered on my car is only on consumables. NO engine work, what so ever, moreover the car still runs like a charm on stock clutch.

So, we shouldn't call a car lemon, just because we've heard 1-2 off cases. The Koreans are known to be more reliable then Germans. You'll find plenty of horror stories in this forum for skoda, but you won't find same for say a Korean or Japanese car.

P.S No offense meant, just mentioning my point.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 26th June 2012, 17:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
You bumped 4 year old Thread, The guy who putted up the query has never logged in the forum since last year. And look at his profile, I guess he got the Accent

BTW I completely disagree with your post here, that Accent are known as 'lemon' car, from where you heard of it ?

I own a 9 year old accent with 81k kms on the ODO. Over the years the only expense which, i encountered on my car is only on consumables. NO engine work, what so ever, moreover the car still runs like a charm on stock clutch.

So, we shouldn't call a car lemon, just because we've heard 1-2 off cases. The Koreans are known to be more reliable then Germans. You'll find plenty of horror stories in this forum for skoda, but you won't find same for say a Korean or Japanese car.

Cheers,
Sameer

I knew it!!
I could almost see you rolling up your sleeves there.....

Accent done.
I dont know about the "lemon" status of the elantra, but it was a surprising handler from hyundai.
Wish they could replicate it

Last edited by mayankk : 26th June 2012 at 17:44.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

Cheers,
Sameer
I have heard from so many people as well as one of my friend owns a CrDi. The life of engine (with all cares) is not more than 1-1.25 lakh kms. I have seen people getting suspension / clutch / engine work done at local garages.

Shared this because I sat in my friend's CrDI (Oct 2005 model) on last Sunday and the noise inside cabin was horrible. I doubted on bearings and when we went to get it repaired, he eventually ended up getting his cars suspension (most of the parts) changed. He has driven around 80k and got he got his engine overhauled at 70k. And we all were sweating like hell during those 5-6 hours and we didn't have any other option.

But then there are lucky people like you also.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 26th June 2012, 17:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

I knew it!!
I could almost see you rolling up your sleeves there.....

Accent done.
I dont know about the "lemon" status of the elantra, but it was an surprising handler from hyundai.
Wish they could replicate it
Elantra was damn good handler and we all know this. I've heard 2-3 cases of lemon Elantra, so can't say anything sure about Elantra.

Most of the owner here on the forum are very happy with their Elantra's. Read 1self's thread on modification of his elantra.

Rest assured,

But still Accent is a damn reliable car , No i am not rolling up my sleeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
I have heard from so many people as well as one of my friend owns a CrDi. The life of engine (with all cares) is not more than 1-1.25 lakh kms. I have seen people getting suspension / clutch / engine work done at local garages.

Shared this because I sat in my friend's CrDI (Oct 2005 model) on last Sunday and the noise inside cabin was horrible. I doubted on bearings and when we went to get it repaired, he eventually ended up getting his cars suspension (most of the parts) changed. He has driven around 80k and got he got his engine overhauled at 70k. And we all were sweating like hell during those 5-6 hours and we didn't have any other option.

But then there are lucky people like you also.

Cheers!
Irish
Hey, We're discussing about petrol one here, See the thread starter's post. He has written 1.6 GLS.

Ya, i agree CRDI Accent is quite heavy on pocket ( compared to petrol one ) and demands heavy expenditure around 80k kms.

But engine overhaul at 70k kms, are you sure ?

I think it's too early for an engine overhaul, Did he got the car 2nd hand from dealer or something ?

Last edited by sameerg001 : 26th June 2012 at 17:33.
Old 27th June 2012, 10:41   #7
BHPian

Sameer,

I am glad that your accent is doing great but "exception is not the rule".

To understand the real value of a car in the long run, you just have to look at the demand situation for that model in the second hand market.

I have quiet a few friends who have owned Accent, both the GLS and the CRDI and none of them really had a trouble free run with the car. The CRDI proved to be worst as trouble came in capital letters for the owners after 50K kilometers on the odometer.

One friend has been trying to sell of an Accent GLS for quiet some time but the offers are so dismal that he cant make the trade.

I am not advocating for Skoda or other German cars but will definitely stand up for Japanese ones. Mitsubishi still makes the best cars in my reckoning when it comes to reliability for a longer duration of usage, and both lancer and Pajero are best examples of that. Lancer has been around 15 yrs and Pajero for more than 25 and both cars had just minor face lifts during this entire period. If Mitsubishi had tied up with any other company other than HM in India, their story would have been different.

Nearly all the Skoda stories are all based on poor After sale service and there are umpteen number or threads here to prove the point. What i am telling you is that Accent is a discontinued model and has its pitfalls in terms of both design and longevity. Just because you are lucky doesnt mean every one is the same.

So Sameer, i too don't mean any offence and i like the fact that we can debate openly here and express our views; respecting each others views and personalities.

Take care

Turbo car
Old 27th June 2012, 12:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

^^ Accent is still available, it's not discontinued. I have 2 Accents currently in family, Both GLS and Earlier my uncle had CRDI, which he used for over a lakh kilometers, then he sold as he wanted to upgrade.

Both of accents which we have are nearing the lakh mark on ODO, Still on stock clutch, all the expenses till date just have been only on consumables.

Regarding, re sale value- Come here in Delhi, A relative bought a 2002 GLS model with LPG and 80k on ODO, last year for 1.8 lakhs, His car is also till date running like a charm, except for consumables.

While, I agree with your point For CRDI accent, but when it comes to petrol, I have owned and have seen plenty of them till date and every owner just said the same, that they are damn reliable.

CRDI do get heavy on pocket at around 80k kms, but petrol's, I don't buy your point on this

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 27th June 2012 at 12:48.
Old 27th June 2012, 13:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support Team

Gangsta please report this post if you want the thread started in Jan 2008 to be reopened.

Thanks,
Support Team.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks