Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2008, 00:11   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
...we can have a more fruitfull debate if more details are thrown in .the thread starter is seen nowhere now.
ram
Hey guys, I'm right here. No, I wasn't lurking; I was genuinely away.

To get back to my question - I admit I am talking across segments here, but that is the dilemma playing in my mind right now. Whether I should go for SX4 or Safari? The only thing is that I want to go for a bigger car. And I was wondering which one to go for.

To all who were confused - it is really a sedan vs suv question. Both have the 'disadvantages' outlined by me, but I am thinking whether to go for the big one (read Safari) if I have to face those 'disadvantages' anyway - Safari has commendable road presence, is spacious and is an SUV - one that I have always wanted to own (I can see all Safari owners swelling with pride here).

Though, by the way, I like SX4's stance too, AND it has amazing road presence, and the ZXi will have ABS, Airbags, Alloys, auto climate and what not. On top of that, it is 2 lakhs cheaper (on-road price) than the 2.2 EX. And, yes, I do understand there is the 2.2 VX with all these features, but no, I can't stretch my budget.

So, there you go. Opening the field again.
Old 24th February 2008, 00:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Whether I should go for SX4 or Safari? The only thing is that I want to go for a bigger car.
Dude, go for the SX4! It also has an SUV touch to it, combined with sedan characteristics. To an extent, its best of both worlds. Plus, its a Maruti/Suzuki.
Old 24th February 2008, 08:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
To all who were confused - it is really a sedan vs suv question. Both have the 'disadvantages' outlined by me, but I am thinking whether to go for the big one (read Safari) if I have to face those 'disadvantages' anyway - Safari has commendable road presence, is spacious and is an SUV - one that I have always wanted to own (I can see all Safari owners swelling with pride here).
Now instead of listing the advantages/disadvantages of each segment, if you can list your Priorities in order(say FE, space, budget etc) that will help you on narrowing in your choice.
Old 24th February 2008, 19:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Dude, go for the SX4! It also has an SUV touch to it, combined with sedan characteristics. To an extent, its best of both worlds. Plus, its a Maruti/Suzuki.
SUV touch!
My cousin owns a SX4 since last 25000km & finds his old FIAT sienna much grippier than this car on the highway
Old 24th February 2008, 22:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Now instead of listing the advantages/disadvantages of each segment, if you can list your Priorities in order(say FE, space, budget etc) that will help you on narrowing in your choice.
Well, I have already listed my priority - I want to go for a bigger car. And, my simple question is, should I go for SX4 ZXi or a Safari 2.2 EX? Which of them is a better vehicle overall - in terms of road presence, interior space, features, easier to maintain, and FE - in that order?
Old 24th February 2008, 22:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I have already listed my priority - I want to go for a bigger car. And, my simple question is, should I go for SX4 ZXi or a Safari 2.2 EX? Which of them is a better vehicle overall - in terms of road presence, interior space, features, easier to maintain, and FE - in that order?
Here is a simple answer to your simple question:

road presence -- Safari

interior space -- Safari (and its got unmatched rear seat comfort!)

features -- SX4 (ZXi)

easier to maintain
-- SX4

FE -- Both will give more or less same, BUT the fuel they drink is different. So not comparable.

Based on the above, its 50/50.

However, i would also like to add that a petrol sedan like SX4 would be much easier to drive than the big Safari. Reasons:
1. Size of the vehicle. Safari is big and bulky, so parking, maneuvering through dense traffic would be comparatively easier in SX4.
2. Safari 2.2 's clutch and gearshift would be much harder than the SX4, which could again mean more fatigue in long drives.

Last edited by DCEite : 24th February 2008 at 22:34.
Old 24th February 2008, 22:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
SUV touch!
My cousin owns a SX4 since last 25000km & finds his old FIAT sienna much grippier than this car on the highway
Dude, the thread starter wants to decide between the Safari and SX4. Why did Siena come into picture?
Old 24th February 2008, 22:48   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

road presence -- Safari

features -- SX4 (ZXi)

easier to maintain -- SX4

FE -- Both will give more or less same, BUT the fuel they drink is different. So not comparable.

However, i would also like to add that a petrol sedan like SX4 would be much easier to drive than the big Safari. Reasons:
1. Size of the vehicle. Safari is big and bulky, so parking, maneuvering through dense traffic would be comparatively easier in SX4.
2. Safari 2.2 's clutch and gearshift would be much harder than the SX4, which could again mean more fatigue in long drives.
Now that's back to square one . I guess kkdelhi is going to run away from this thread pulling his hair out LOL.
Old 24th February 2008, 22:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:

It only increases the dilemma, right?

Quote:
Can Safari owners please comment on these points?
Old 25th February 2008, 23:28   #40
BHPian

Safari is the way to go.

Hi kk,
First of all you have to decide on a budget.
Since you bought a Swift last june I dont really see a need for you to upgrade your car right now.
Analyze your budget and only buy a car that you can pay for in a 5year period.That ways you can even get a good resale.
I have owned one of the older safari's and they are amazing cars except for when they break down and cost a fortune to repair.This might have changed but thats my experience.
Also parking a safari in Delhi markets is not going to be fun.
What utility is the new sedan/suv goig to have for you?
If you are just 3-4 people in your family then you are set with Swift.
As far as ego goes brother, it will never get satisfied.
Once you have a safari/Sx4 then you will long for a Corolla/Civic, then Accord/camry/CRV, etc etc and the vicious cycle continues.
So if money is not a problem go for the safari.
(Remember current safari model is very old and may be overdue for a makeover in next year or two)
Enjoy.
Old 26th February 2008, 12:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

For your posts, it looks like you are more inclined to this vehicle. Yes, its bulky and difficult to manuvere in traffic and you will find difficulty in parking. But same case with SX4 also. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If I were in your place, I would have gone for Safari as I too wanted to own an SUV. But my budget did not permit me to do so.
Old 26th February 2008, 14:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Well. I'll make it even simpler. Go for the safari if your heart says so. THe 2.2 is joy to ride. Personally i think You can have an sx4 experience in any sedan with higher ground clearance and a good engine. But the safari experience is unique. It starts from - getting in,- to riding in it - to getting out of it. Nothing else matches the experience.

I seriously think you should have asked "Why Should i NOT buy a Safari 2.2"

THe catch here is that you might miss on the better handling of the sx4. But thats what you need to pay for the creature comforts.

Last edited by gemithomas : 26th February 2008 at 14:39.
Old 26th February 2008, 14:51   #43
BHPian

If its mostly city driving then a hatchback is good enuf. you dont need the extra boot space and will save u heck a lot of trouble parking and driving in chaotic traffic, but If you travel outside with your family in tow then I guess sedan is the choice coz u need all the boot space u need for the luggage especially if you have small children, coz its amazing how much of clothes and shoes they use up in a small outing.

other point......sedan vs safari...no comparison..i'd go for the safari no matter what the pro's and cons of hatch or the sedan..live life king size..drive safari..u dont drive a safari if you worry about things like mileage, parking etc etc..u drive a safari because this beast wakes up the wild side within you....
Old 26th February 2008, 16:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

road presence -- Safari

features -- SX4 (ZXi) = Safari VX right?

FE -- Both will give more or less same, BUT the fuel they drink is different. So not comparable. Petrol - Diesel = 15rs or so

Based on the above, its 50/50. ?

Would suggest that one dont give an option based on assumption.

Alto's clutch is lighter than Santro's and I left Safari's to be on par. I didnt find any fatigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Well. I'll make it even simpler. Go for the safari if your heart says so. THe 2.2 is joy to ride. Personally i think You can have an sx4 experience in any sedan with higher ground clearance and a good engine. But the safari experience is unique. It starts from - getting in,- to riding in it - to getting out of it. Nothing else matches the experience.

I seriously think you should have asked "Why Should i NOT buy a Safari 2.2"

THe catch here is that you might miss on the better handling of the sx4. But thats what you need to pay for the creature comforts.
Good one. You wont look back tomorrow and repent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
If its mostly city driving then a hatchback is good enuf. you dont need the extra boot space and will save u heck a lot of trouble parking and driving in chaotic traffic, but If you travel outside with your family in tow then I guess sedan is the choice coz u need all the boot space u need for the luggage especially if you have small children, coz its amazing how much of clothes and shoes they use up in a small outing.

other point......sedan vs safari...no comparison..i'd go for the safari no matter what the pro's and cons of hatch or the sedan..live life king size..drive safari..u dont drive a safari if you worry about things like mileage, parking etc etc..u drive a safari because this beast wakes up the wild side within you....
You completed Gemi's post now.

Being a would be Safari owner what I feel is
1) I would miss the point and shoot drives
2) find it a bit tough maneuvering at traffic jams
3) I will find trouble finding parking space but I guess the size and exclusivity can be miused
4) Let both give same mileage, I still save with Safari
Old 26th February 2008, 18:33   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Being a would be Safari owner what I feel is
1) I would miss the point and shoot drives
2) find it a bit tough maneuvering at traffic jams
3) I will find trouble finding parking space but I guess the size and exclusivity can be miused
4) Let both give same mileage, I still save with Safari

well congrats in advance buddy.....am sure the two of you are going to have a lot of adventures ahead of you......and ofcourse a lot of admiring stares whenver u take the beast out for a spin..btw..what color have u thought of ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks