Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2008, 19:10   #1
BHPian

Used 1.8 Optra: To go or not to go!!

Im looking for a used car and chanced upon a 1.8 optra with the following specs :-
Make : 2004 1.8 Chevy Optra
Odo : 55000 kms
Owner : Single
Price : 375000/-

I would like help of fellow members on this forum in making the decision. Have a few queries on the same.

1. Is the price justified for a car with 55k on the odo?
2. What is the mileage i can expect in the city, like Chennai.
3. How maintenance hungry is an optra?
Old 31st March 2008, 10:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are many 1.8 L Optra owners on this forum (perhaps BUSA being one of them). At 3.75 L, the price seems good. Mileage is not good, but then you are getting a big car (mileage of 8-9 kmpl perhaps? or even lower?).
Old 31st March 2008, 10:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamerica View Post
Im looking for a used car and chanced upon a 1.8 optra with the following specs :-
Make : 2004 1.8 Chevy Optra
Odo : 55000 kms
Owner : Single
Price : 375000/-

I would like help of fellow members on this forum in making the decision. Have a few queries on the same.

1. Is the price justified for a car with 55k on the odo?
2. What is the mileage i can expect in the city, like Chennai.
3. How maintenance hungry is an optra?
-Before purchasing an optra i would suggest to get it throughly checked from a service center about the unusual niggles which might be there. You can also know the details with the available service records.
- Also bear in mind optra goes for a major service at 60K which will cost around 20-25 K atleast. Mine had recently gone into and spent around 18K for the service.
- Tyres and suspension conditions need to be checked.

Answers
1. Price seems to be nice.
2. Not sure of Chennai, but in Delhi 1.8 non-VGIS model (i.e. pre 2005 models) delivers around 6-7 Kms/Lt. Mine non-VGIS 1.6 too returns 9-10 km/lt.
3. If you are one who is not peddle-to-metal kinda guy, optra will make you a happy customer. Remember is it's an luxury car not a racing car.

Cheers
Old 31st March 2008, 10:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

There you are. A nice, balanced suggestion. Key points:

1. Price of 3.75 L gives out a decent car with good ride quality.
2. Not a racing car by any standards, but will get the job done in the city on the highway (not a laggard but not highly peppy).
3. Mileage is low (I know of people here who get 6-8).
4. Of course, since the car is old, expect more of maintenance cost. However, the seller has paid the penalty of depreciation. You may perhaps use it for another few years, and when maintenance starts to kill, sell it at whatever.
5. Things have a habit of malfunctioning in GM cars. Positive is that they do not often lead to getting stuck on the road and costs are not too high.
6. If you do not drive much (say plan to sell it before 1 lakh), then perhaps buy it.
7. Resale is not easy (not much demand for 1.8 or used Optra), so perhaps bargain a bit.
8. How about tyres. If they are new, then that is a big plus. But 55K calls for new tyres and that expense could be 11-14K for 4 tyres.
Old 5th April 2008, 11:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

I Think its a decent deal. Optra 1.8 has been known for low mileage .
1.6 has better mileage. I guess not much demand for the 1.8 Optra in second hand market is because the perfomance of 1.6 & 1.8 Optra is rather same. 1.8 only you get all goodies . Beware of maintenance!!
Old 5th April 2008, 13:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Its a nice car.Looks very good and drives nice also.Nothing against it except low mileage figures inside city.But then its a 1.8 ltr car buddie.On high ways its a decent car with almost decent mileage too.
Its a bargain for this amount IMO.Get it thoroughly checked by the service center with a reliable guy and decide.
ram
Old 5th April 2008, 13:16   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, paying 3.75L for a 55K done car is not such a good idea. Well, this is not a OHC which will run for another 50K with least number of problems. Optra will surely make your pockets empty by way of more fuel, tyre change and probably the spares and service too.

Why not look for a not so-used Aveo at a slightly higher price?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks