Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 14:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Why no Yaris in India

I have always wondered why Toyota never launched the Yaris sedan in India. I have seen the vehicle in the Middle East and spoken to people who own them. Yaris would have given the New Honda City a real run for its money here - and also all the others in the segment.

2008 Toyota Yaris car trim and prices

2008 Toyota Yaris Car Tour
Old 5th May 2008, 16:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

That's the latest Yaris?

Hmmm... It was a tiny hatchback when I last looked at one, which would have been 2003 or 3004 I suppose.

I'm not sure that bigger is better: it used to be one of the best of the small cars.
Old 5th May 2008, 16:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think Toyota wants to bring something cheaper. (even more cheap..)
Old 5th May 2008, 16:50   #4
BHPian

the yaris retails for around 35k Sr here thats roughly 3.6 lakhs in rs im sure they could sell it in the 4 lakh range if locally produced would be excellent for india
Old 5th May 2008, 18:42   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You have asked a million $ question, wilful. Toyota has been incredibly slow in India, but I do hear they have some wicked products lined up.
Old 5th May 2008, 20:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that GTO. And also nice to know that others get the same impression about Toyota in India.
I think Nissan can also be termed as a bit slow - their Tida sedan is in the same category as well (I think) and I believe it is a good car.
Old 5th May 2008, 22:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Finally somebody popped up the question. Well seriously Toyota should have launched it earlier. The hatchback would have eaten away sales of Swift and Sedan would have given the Honda city some competition. But the Vios Sedan has the instrument cluster in the center .
Old 5th May 2008, 23:08   #8
BHPian

Yaris for 4 lacs? Considering a Corrolla retails for US$18,000 approx, it should ideally be priced under INR 8 lacs instead of the 12 they are creaming the market at.....Keeping in mind the immense difficulties faced by the Toyotas & Hondas in bringing a reasonably priced vehicle to India it is unlikely that a Yaris would go for anything less than INR 6 lacs. & find happy buyers...
Old 6th May 2008, 01:18   #9
BANNED

i think they all want to loot india first by selling all 10 lak cars for 20 and 5 lak cars for 10. after that when nothing left to loot, they will all bring in small ones so 3 lak cars will be for 6 laks then for sure. honda is doping so is toyota, nissan for sure. rest i dont even know who all are left to enter. i know why every car manufacturer says india is a GOOD MARKET. to loot ofcourse, and the best bit INDIANS very nicely pay up as well.
Old 6th May 2008, 01:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't consider the Yaris a good vehicle. The looks have improved,but the fit & finish aren't the best. Atleast in the US,its not one to talk about with pride. Its a flimsy car,and at anything above 65mph,you feel like you are in a go-cart.
Introduce it in India,and there will be loads of takers. Priced around Rs 7lakhs,it'll give any other car maker a tough time.
Old 6th May 2008, 02:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hmmm... It was a tiny hatchback when I last looked at one, which would have been 2003 or 3004 I suppose.
Thad, you can travel into the future? Wow!
Old 6th May 2008, 02:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I wouldn't consider the Yaris a good vehicle.
Well I do because I own a 2008 model.

Quote:
The looks have improved,but the fit & finish aren't the best.
In the segment it sells in, can you name any other car with better fit and finish..

Quote:
Atleast in the US,its not one to talk about with pride.
Its no cult classic but hey, it sure is gaining a lot of popularity. Not many cars have their own dedicated forums. The yaris does @ yarisworld dot com

Quote:
Its a flimsy car,and at anything above 65mph,you feel like you are in a go-cart.
Wrong again, I recently did a 1300 mile road trip from Seattle to San Diego with my yaris completely loaded. Even at speeds of 75-80 mph it was well settled and quiet. Not to forget that it gave me a mileage of 43 mpg on 2 consecutive tankfuls and regularly gives 35+ mpg in San Diego metro area.

Last edited by rev_hard : 6th May 2008 at 02:33.
Old 6th May 2008, 03:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

iraghava; I'm bound by a time-traveller's non-disclosure agreement, so I should never have let that slip out. Can't of course reveal anything further about the 3004 Yaris!

Back to the present day: at the right price I'm sure it would be a great car for the Indian city --- but that import duty thing might make that impossible :(

I'm equally out of touch with the current Nissan Micra (and I'm not letting on about the 3004 model) --- but that would probably be even better.
Old 6th May 2008, 09:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ah! A Yaris user (and enthusiast) at last!
Rev_hard - I would like to know your views on the subject.
Have you driven/used a NHC by any chance? If you have - how does the Yaris fare against it - comfort, space, performance and safety? Also - are the dimensions different? And - how would you rate it vis a vis the other cars in the segment (in India) like Fiesta, Aveo, SX 4 etc?
Old 6th May 2008, 13:36   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

No, I never drove a Yaris; I looked at in the showroom when a friend was buying in the small-car range about five years ago.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks