Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 12:10   #1
BHPian

Diesel Cars - Myths or facts

bhpians,
I am hoping I could use all your expertise in separating facts from fiction when it comes to diesel cars. After a lot of research and countless hours in tbhp forums, I have finally narrowed down my selection to verna diesel (SX version). Some of my friends and relatives are actively trying to dissuade me from buying a diesel car. I understand that modern diesels have come a long way compared to diesel engines 10 years ago. But few of the quoted disadvantages have been

1) Diesel cars needs to run atleast 50kms a day or the engine will have problems later (My running is only about 20 kms a day with occasional long distance runs. But I do intend to keep the car for a atleast 5-6 years). Is it true that diesel engines needs to be run a specific kms to keep the engine in good condition?

2) Diesel cars are expensive to maintain. This sounds contrary to lot of articles I have read. How much more do diesels cost to maintain when compared to petrol?

Any other specific disadvantages of diesel (apart from more NVH levels)..?

I have owned 2 petrol cars ( A 2001 Mazda protege and a 2006 Acura TL (with a sweet 3.2 L V6)). I have no experience with diesel cars and so I would appreciate of bhp gurus could help me separate facts from fiction.

Thanks in advance....
Old 12th May 2008, 14:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi etrast75,

This topic has been discussed in great details.

Please search for petrol vs Diesel thread & you will find them.

Thread Closed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks