Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 20:43   #1
udaykars

Accent Lpg or Dezire vdi ?

hello guys,
I know this question may be little early, but had to make a choice. I am thinking to buy a mid size sedan 5 to 7 lac budget. had considered Dezire vdi till now and would book it in few days. but, i just read in papers that hyundai would launch Accent lpg in october [ don't know how far it's true]. I know accent is a good vehicle, fuel consumption was the only problem. but now with company fitted lpg, i am confused.
Everyone agrees that it's a good car, but is it a better car than Dezire vdi ?. I travel about 1000 kms per month [high way and city]. I am looking for comfort, handling, fuel economy, low mentainance, reliability, better built quality (free from rattling and stuff), saftey is must and performance.
Guys, I hope am not asking too much. hope to hear from you soon. I don't want to regret on my decision later.i never drove accent till date, so please throw some light on it.
Thank you

Old 22nd July 2008, 22:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

At 1000 per month, you need neither diesel nor LPG. Look out for petrol cars. How about the Dzire ZXI ?
Old 22nd July 2008, 22:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Uday , Thats quite a tough decision. Since its a LPG vs Diesel. Where the Accent mainly loses is its quite a dated model ! Its still an excellent VFM though & yes the LPG accent is round the corner! Ikon is gonna through a facelift in few months & if rumours are right it might get the 1.4 TDCI doing duty in the Fiesta. Ikon has one of the best rear benches too ! Dzire VDI seems to be a good bet & actually fits your requirement, but i would suggest you wait till Sept for new launches.Anyways wait period for Dzire VDI would be atleast 3-5 months so rather wait for new models & then jump to conclusion.
Old 22nd July 2008, 22:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

isnt it already launched ? Agree with eddy though. @ 1000km/month , there aren't any significant savings
EDIT: oh, wait , that was the CNG Accent

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd July 2008 at 22:38.
Old 22nd July 2008, 22:35   #5
BHPian

The Accent is now a good old car. Does a great job in terms of meeting expectations however may not sell well, when you consider a change. The Dzire on the other hand will not only bring you quality but snob value as well. It is knows for good comfort and featuers to keep the ride engaged.

As Eddy stated, going for a petrol may prove to be more cost effective than the Deisel in case you are picking up the Dzire. 12000 KM per year multipled by the cost differential of the fuels within your city is that you can recover in an year(Apart from the maintenance difference). So calculate and check how many years for you to recover the extra cost you pay. Dont forget to factor depriciation & resale value.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
At 1000 per month, you need neither diesel nor LPG. Look out for petrol cars. How about the Dzire ZXI ?
That would be his choice.

I think a diesel should be the right choice & Logan is a pretty decent performer with a decent FE too.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Fully agree with Eddy.

At a projected running of 1500km+ a month, I am considering a petrol hatchback. At your running, petrol anyday.

And NOT a diesel logan. Frightfully expensive for the level of finish/rear seat comfort it offers (not ride quality which is impeccable) - consider the time you would take to recover the costs over say a petrol ikon flair.

5L ikon 6.5L diesel logan. at like 12000km a year, and cost difference of rs2/km, you will recover your additional costs in some 75000km or six years. Think again saab.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
5L ikon 6.5L diesel logan. at like 12000km a year, and cost difference of rs2/km, you will recover your additional costs in some 75000km or six years. Think again saab.
Folks,

you are forgetting the higher price you would get if you go and sell a 3 year Diesel car viz-a-viz a 3 year petrol car. I think breakeven would happen at 16000 km for a Swift VDI. Here is the calculation I have worked out -

difference in swift petrol v/s diesel car - 80000 Rs.
Mileage of Petrol car - 11km/l
mileage of diesel car - 18km/l
cost of petrol - 59 (in B'lore)
cost of diesel - 39 (in B'lore)
cost per km of petrol car - 59/11 - 5.36 Rs.
cost per km of Diesel car - 39/18 - 2.16 Rs.
difference - 3.2 Rs/km
Return on diesel car over and above petrol car after 3 years - 30000 Rs.
hence 50000 rs. for breakeven is achieved at 50000/3.2 < 16000 km or within a year if you drive 1500 km a month even if you drive 1000 km a month it does make sense to go in for a diesel car.
Old 23rd July 2008, 20:09   #9
BHPian

Wont petrol-diesel price difference be further stretched with a fuel price hike in comming years? So I feel diesel is the way to go.
Old 24th July 2008, 01:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Diesel saab,

Nice calculations. Can't disagree with the numbers. Given my padosi's VDi, I had calculated the same slightly differently.

Resale additional price of 20k
petrol mileage of 12, diesel of 16.

gave slightly better breakeven but logic is still strong!

My only comparison was for say accent petrol versus the overpriced logan diesel. for some car petrol-diesel comparison, your calculation is almost perfect.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:05   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Within your budget of 5 - 7 lakhs, why don't you consider the Logan? Its got fantastic FE, has more room and far better ride quality than the Dzire. I do think that it is overpriced, but seems to suit your requirements to the T.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:32   #12
BHPian

Agree with GTO. The logan is a good choice. Additionally the price of LPG changes every month. It can go up or come down every month. However its been going up for the past few months.

I'd recommend a diesel. DZIRE or Logan.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Swift Dzire VDi. This car has got good engine plus the maruti network is another peace of mind factor.

Accent is a dated model. Swift dzire has good chassis and passive safety.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Logan seats are VERY thin. That takes away from an otherwise superb riding vehicle. Almost close to optra in rear seat comfort.

and does 140 without much sweat.
Old 15th December 2008, 15:01   #15

Accent with LPG

I am buying an Accent Executive shortly. Lower FE is a worry. Looks like majority of the folks get around 9kmpl.

Owing to this and non-availability of CNG in Bangalore, I am contemplating fitting an LPG kit.

Could someone guide on LPG experience with Accent? Good places to get it done in Bangalore? Expected FE after LPG?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks