Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 16:59   #1
BHPian

Is it worth swapping my Accent for a new Chevy Spark!

Hi Guys,

Is it worth swapping my Accent for a new Chevy Spark.

I am currently having a black 2002 Dec model Accent,it looks new still, but i have to spend some money on repairs like
clutch 10000
suspension 15000
overall around 30K
i get around 8.5kmpl to 10 in city with AC.i have changed to new tyres and silencer.i am very much satisfied with the ride quality and the looks, but only the rear seat which is little uncomfortable, low to get in/out for old parents.

I am not able to decide, weather to retain this car or go for a new spark, i like the spark's looks, but what do you all feel, will i be able to accept sparks,ride quality and pick up after using my Accent?
i dont know wheather its degrading or upgrading.Or else i have to wait for some good sedans to arrive within 6 lakhs.Currently i dont like any of the sedans by looks except for the Cedia and Aveo.

My Accent will fetch me a min of 2.25 lakhs, is it worth spending 1.25 more for a new spark or wait to get a better sedan or hatchback later.

Thanks in advance for your advices.
krish
Old 28th July 2008, 17:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
but only the rear seat which is little uncomfortable, low to get in/out for old parents.
I have spark and i am sure your parents will find even more difficulty in getting in and out as the rear doors are very small. Rear seat leg room is decent but getting in and out is a pain IMO.
I would suggest you to buy some other car than a spark.
Spark is easy to park and drive. Gives an average of around 13 in city but first list out your requirements in detail for a team bhpian to help you choosing a car.

BTW why dont you check out Getz CRDi
Old 28th July 2008, 18:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wait & get a good sedan. Spark can never replace your accent
Old 28th July 2008, 18:04   #4
BHPian

Keep the Accent and don't swap the same for a Spark, wait for a better sedan to come in if you don't like any in the market place right now. Spark cannot replace an Accent like Esteem_Lover has mentioned.
Old 28th July 2008, 18:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82
i dont know wheather its degrading or upgrading.
No degrading or upgrading about going for a car smaller/cheaper than what one owns currently. In many ways (FE, city drivability, parking ease etc) a small car is much better than a sedan and if your driving is mostly city, it makes sense.

Just testdrive the Spark and see if it meets your expectations and if so, go for it.
Old 28th July 2008, 20:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

IMO, dont go for Spark. Retain this sedan.

If you do a trip with family, then the boot space wont be enough.
The ride quality of Accent is better than Spark.

If you are concerned about the running cost, then try fitting in CNG kit. Wheneven I go to fill in CNG in our Maruti 800, I can see a Baleno, Accent , Aveo coming in for filling.

The doubts about long queues for CNG are true, but if you plan your filling time well, then the job is done within 15 minutes.

We are also considering fitting in CNG in our Baleno. Before we make a move, I thought let me talk with some others who have tried this.
In the process, I managed to talk to Accent owner who had done this conversion. He was happy and said there is not terrible loss. It feels almost as good as pertrol. Same was for Baleno and Aveo.
Old 28th July 2008, 20:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think the spark is an awesome car to have as a 2nd car or a 3rd in the family. Its just right for city travel.

Accent since your saying looks as good as new, then keep it. Do the change of tires and suspension if thats the only thing that needs attention according to you.

Another option would be the getz like someone mentioned. Not D though. Try the 1.1 petrol. its roomy and easy on the pocket.

How many kms has your accent done.
Old 28th July 2008, 21:37   #8
BHPian

Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
I think the spark is an awesome car to have as a 2nd car or a 3rd in the family. Its just right for city travel.

Accent since your saying looks as good as new, then keep it. Do the change of tires and suspension if thats the only thing that needs attention according to you.

Another option would be the getz like someone mentioned. Not D though. Try the 1.1 petrol. its roomy and easy on the pocket.

How many kms has your accent done.
First of all Thanks to every one for your replies,it makes me feel lot better.
My Accent has done 52K, i drive only 10000 K per year with 2 to 4 long trips/year. But i often go to airport to pick relatives for which i find boot space handy.

I also have a Zen petrol (older) model and i love that car, the engine,clutch brakes are very smooth.i dont want to sell that cheap too.

Actually i like the Getz very much, lots of space very practical, but again i even sometimes feel Accent is underpowered when driven hard.I just want to buy a new trouble free car that i will keep for years.

i drove Verna its very agile,sharp but i like the looks of Accent than that. Chevy i was looking for bcos

1. Looks small & Cute
2. Nice colours
3. Good mil
4. Discount
5. it would be easy for my wife to drive later on.
_ve

1. I dont know how GM is in service. I am in Chennai and i am extremly satisfied with my Zen's Service but my Hyundai's service is pathetic in chennai,i only trust Electra centre for Hyundai.

One Stupid question, Is there any sedan car that will be easy for my Wife to drive ..n terms of turning radius agility.

i actually prefer accent better than my zen bcos my zen has a pathetic turning radius and always needs a 3 point turn.
I love swift except for the rear windows and for the A pillars.

I have driven Accent/Lancer/cedia/Getz, in all these cars the view is superb there is no blind spots at all. So whenever i sit in a new car which blocks my view i feel suffocated.
Spark i dont see much of them in road, so i am worried.
i didnt like looks of the suzuki spash either...

OK let me not confuse you all. from all of your posts i could conclude to retain my Accent and wait for a newer ranges to arrive.

Please tell me some cars that are in future worth waiting for.My max budjet would be 6 Lakhs.

Thanks a lot
Old 28th July 2008, 23:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Currently i dont like any of the sedans by looks except for the Cedia .
krish
Go for the CEDIA if you can afford it - else wait!! Good luck.
Old 28th July 2008, 23:38   #10
Team-BHP Support

I think you got the drift here by now. If you plan to get a Spark as an addition to the garage which even your wife can drive then maybe it makes sense. But replacing your sedan with a spark may not really be such a good option.

By the way, since you have tried out so many cars have you checked out the Fusion? It may just fit into your requirements.
Old 29th July 2008, 00:04   #11
BHPian

keep the accent...

its way better than the spark.
Old 29th July 2008, 00:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The ride quality of Accent is better than Spark.
I will agree with all the points in this thread - accent is a step up on all, except the ride quality. It is BAD. Period.

I fly twice a week and CANT suffer the accent's rear seat at all. NHC is my thing. Spark's slightly different seating (my head is a little constrained) but uber comfortable.
Old 29th July 2008, 00:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am currently having a black 2002 Dec model Accent,it looks new still, but i have to spend some money on repairs like
clutch 10000
suspension 15000
overall around 30K
i get around 8.5kmpl to 10 in city with AC.i have changed to new tyres and silencer.i am very much satisfied with the ride quality and the looks, but only the rear seat which is little uncomfortable, low to get in/out for old parents.

I am not able to decide, weather to retain this car or go for a new spark, i like the spark's looks, but what do you all feel, will i be able to accept sparks,ride quality and pick up after using my Accent?
i dont know wheather its degrading or upgrading.Or else i have to wait for some good sedans to arrive within 6 lakhs.Currently i dont like any of the sedans by looks except for the Cedia and Aveo.

My Accent will fetch me a min of 2.25 lakhs, is it worth spending 1.25 more for a new spark or wait to get a better sedan or hatchback later.

Thanks in advance for your advices.
krish
I would suggest you to keep the accent as switching to spark will be downgrading, you will definitely get better fuel consumption but the losses on space,ride,quality and a lot of things will be too much.
Old 29th July 2008, 09:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Krish , I would suggest you to keep your Accent for the time being.
Trade in your Zen for a Getz 1.1. Then upgrade your Accent after a year or two.
Old 29th July 2008, 10:37   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ 52K, your Accent has a good amount of healthy life in reserve. Keep it, the Spark will be a downgrade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks