Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 13:30   #1
BHPian

New Suzuki Sx4 from Haryana to Mumbai.

I am from Mumbai. I have been planning to buy a new Sx4 from Haryana for obvious reasons of saving octroi and difference of road tax, a good difference of Rs. 80,000. Finally after lots research and considering the pirce.

My concern is getting it driven all the way from Haryana to Mumbai. What all do i need to watchout and what care i need to take while getting the new car driven down all the way from Haryana to Mumbai, as its is a new engine, as it would be done by some driver? What RPM, and what speed is to be maintained? Apart from that what do i need to instruct the drivers to take care of???

Please all you inputs would be of great help.
Old 25th August 2008, 14:50   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshladha View Post
I am from Mumbai. I have been planning to buy a new Sx4 from Haryana for obvious reasons of saving octroi and difference of road tax, a good difference of Rs. 80,000. Finally after lots research and considering the pirce.

My concern is getting it driven all the way from Haryana to Mumbai. What all do i need to watchout and what care i need to take while getting the new car driven down all the way from Haryana to Mumbai, as its is a new engine, as it would be done by some driver? What RPM, and what speed is to be maintained? Apart from that what do i need to instruct the drivers to take care of???

Please all you inputs would be of great help.
Check the option of transfer through train as it is cheaper. Getting on a truck would not be a good option.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would not transport it via a truck or train. Too Damage Prone !!

Better to have a reasonable driver drive it. Gurgaon - Udaipur - Ahemdabad - Mumbai. A long route but very good roads.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:11   #4
BHPian

But can one roam around freely with HR reg Car in Maharashtra if yes then most of people would love to buy it from haryana ,there is only one good excuse which comes to my mind if i get caught in mumbai ,that sir ji i am tourist here or i recently shifted from Delhi Ncr cause in bigger cars the difference is in lacks
Old 25th August 2008, 16:15   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
But can one roam around freely with HR reg Car in Maharashtra if yes then most of people would love to buy it from haryana ,there is only one good excuse which comes to my mind if i get caught in mumbai ,that sir ji i am tourist here or i recently shifted from Delhi Ncr cause in bigger cars the difference is in lacks
One of my friends got transferred to Mumbai from Delhi. Every fortnight or so, he asks his friends to courier him a blank petrol receipt from a Delhi bunk. Fills it up showing a recent date.

Whenever he has been pulled up, he shows that receipt to the cops and claims that he is a tourist/ moved just a week or so back. Working till now.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am also driving out of state car in Karnataka for more than 3 years. I faced no problem yet so far. Even in Bangalore I can see quite a few SUV, Luxury cars bearing number from Haryana.

And yes, Do not ever think about transporting car through train or truck. Octroai and RTO guys will catch you right in the station of Octroi check post and your have to pay full difference amount before you get your own vehicle .
Even in Mumbai they did not spare my brother's LML Vespa Select 4 years old scooter where transported it through train.

It is not at all problem driving new car on highway, but do check speed.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:51   #7
bhp
BHPian

the RTO is getting very strict these days in mumbai...they are keeping checks even on cars registered at navi mumbai & thane (outside octroi limits)..u would be very often be stopped at naka bandi's while driving the HR registered vehicle..so accordingly take your call..

Maharashtra registration = Peace of mind
Old 25th August 2008, 17:25   #8
BHPian

Why dont you consider getting the car registered in Daman. You can buy the car from Vitesse Vapi. Distance between Vapi & Mumbai is max 180 kms. However as on date the Mumbai Ahmedabad highway is quite painful to drive because of the huge potholes.
Old 25th August 2008, 18:04   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good luck with driving an out-state car in Mumbai, the RTO / tax officials clamp down on them ever so often. In the worst of cases, I have seen cars being seized on the spot. I would not recommend this unless you plan to stay in Mumbai only temporarily.

For information on running-in, check the relevant article from the Advice section.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
One of my friends got transferred to Mumbai from Delhi. Every fortnight or so, he asks his friends to courier him a blank petrol receipt from a Delhi bunk. Fills it up showing a recent date.

Whenever he has been pulled up, he shows that receipt to the cops and claims that he is a tourist/ moved just a week or so back. Working till now.
If they are blank bills, why dint your friend get the whole booklet from the petrol pump ?

akshladha,
I guess beating the Octroi rules in Bombay will be tough on your part to try and evade the cops. All said and done, you'll stop enjoying the ride since most of the time your eyes would be on the lookout for cops
Old 26th August 2008, 00:29   #11
BANNED

i dont see him talking about getting the car reg in the first place. if u buy the car and not reg it its different. i bought my innova from gujrat. drove it here and got it registered to bombay. saved around 1 lak.
Old 9th September 2008, 13:08   #12
BHPian

Guys my concern is not about getting it here or out-side state registeration. We have been using north India registered cars since last 11 years without much hassels. But i I have reaised one thing, we get our cars driven down all the way from haryana to mumbai thru drivers. But due to the long highway drive of 1300Kms, the drives race the new engines without being concern about the chipping off of the new pistons. Result - Lower mileage. Our zens never gave us an avg above 10Kpl and cities some where around 8Kpl. Recently boought a civic, which just manages 6-7Kpl.

Are there any measures that i can take so that the drives dont race thm beyond 2500 RPM, as it been said that for frist 1000 Kms, the engines shldnt go beyond 2500 RPM? Could this be one of the reason of our cars giving lesser mileage???
Old 9th September 2008, 14:07   #13
BANNED

I don't know about the registration etc. but as long as a new vehicle is driven within the running-in limits, there is no problem in hitting the highway. One should not drive at constant speeds but then our highway traffic will ensure variable speeds and enough gear shifting.

My Safari was driven from Chennai to Hyderabad to Bangalore and back to Chennai in a span of 3 days. Delivery was on a Wednesday evening, the trip started on Friday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
If they are blank bills, why dint your friend get the whole booklet from the petrol pump ?
By blank, I think he meant with date and vehicle number not filled in.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
It is not at all problem driving new car on highway, but do check speed.
you mean to say even being a new engine, it wouldn'e be an issue driving it at high RPMs? I remember, my cousin bought a new 5 series, he didnt cross 2500 RPM mark till he crossed 1000Kms.
Old 12th February 2011, 18:45   #15
BHPian

Dilemma on where to buy from - Haryana or Mumbai

hey guys, congrats to the mods for running a fantastic website..

i m planning to buy VW Vento Petrol Trendline (cheapest variant). Now i m in 2 minds on the question of where to buy it from. The car on road price in Mumbai is 8.15 and in its almost 40K cheaper in Gurgaon, which is my home town. If the registration & insurance ll be on Haryana number & god forbids my car gets stolen or meets with an accident in Mumbai, are there any chances of complications arising while lodging FIR or claiming insurance ?

The dealer says its not an issue at all but i want to be assured if that's the case or does someone here have a different experience to share ?

Also, is anyone familiar of something called visitor pass using which you could drive in Mumbai without registering in Mumbai ? A frnd mentioned that it costs arnd Rs. 3000.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks