Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2005, 16:57   #1
g69

Looking to buy a sedan

Hi folks

My search on the net through all the (well almost) all the sites listed for Indian cars brought me to this site, and am I glad I got to know about it. For one, it seems to be a professionally managed site (well done to the moderators for that) and it appears that there is a lot of structure around the content. Plus the reviews seem genuine.

The reason I'm here is because I'm (finally) looking to upgrade my car (I currently own a Wagon-R) and buy a sedan. To be honest, fuel efficiency is perhaps my only consideration, in addition to space. I'd value the feedback from subscribers on what they think I should go in for...given these requirements.

Regards

Ganesh
Old 17th March 2005, 17:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ganesh

Welcome to TB. You havent mentioned your budget for your sedan. What you looking at?

Dippy
Old 17th March 2005, 17:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Ganesh,
Looking at your requirement, a Indigo Diesel would be good.
going up in the 6 - 7 L range, a honda city or a viva CRDi or a baleno
7 - 8 L range - honda city or used skoda octavia.
Old 17th March 2005, 18:59   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Indi-ca/go.....perfect choice for you since your requirement is only space & FE. Look no further.
Old 17th March 2005, 19:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Replies will be more specific .. if you give a definate budget.

Drifter
Old 18th March 2005, 00:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welkome to the gang pal.

as for ur upgrade - the indigo it is based on ur requirments.

cheers
Old 18th March 2005, 01:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

why don't you consider a baleno , in your budget , fuel eff. , great power , more than any of the above mentioned , the only turn off is the looks and you shuld change the rubber which won't cost you more than 3.5k .

manson .

Last edited by manson : 18th March 2005 at 01:40.
Old 18th March 2005, 01:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey RJ, why do u suggest an indica or an indigo given the requirements of FE and space? I'd say that an indigo would be the better option.
Old 18th March 2005, 02:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
manson
why don't you consider a baleno , in your budget , fuel eff. , great power , more than any of the above mentioned
Because

Quote:
g69

To be honest, fuel efficiency is perhaps my only consideration, in addition to space.
Dont know much about the Baleno except that its been replaced by the more practical Liana overseas, but I dont think it can return 18-20 kmpl of Diesel. With fuel prices at home likely to go up once again, I think the Indigo D makes sense.

Steer
Old 18th March 2005, 02:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

ohh ya , dude the indigo is i think the best option for you !

manson .

p.s. it returns abt. 13 kmpl in city , maybe stratos knows the best on this one !
Old 18th March 2005, 02:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
p.s. it returns abt. 13 kmpl in city , maybe stratos knows the best on this one !
Probably around that figure - I was quoting highway mileage with the a/c on.
Old 18th March 2005, 11:30   #12
BHPian

Welcome aboard Ganesh, glad to see another Hyderabadi member. You'll definitely get the right piece of advice, but first be more specific.
Old 18th March 2005, 13:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

If FE is the main concern. Top slot taken by New Honda City, while Baleno comes second. Petra third (close to Baleno.)
Old 18th March 2005, 13:42   #14
g69

Folks

Thanks very much for the responses. Appreciate it.

As you can imagine, looks don't figure top of my priority list - I own a Wagon-R currently, perhaps the worst looking hatchback ever in the market :-) but hey, I am completely satisfied with the luxury of space and the decent fuel efficiency it gives me...roughly about 14kmpl with the AC on in Hyderabad city driving conditions.

Apart from Fuel Efficiency and space, I'd say budget is not really a constraint. I was very keen to look at the Scorpio as well, but I wrote Sedan because my wife will perhaps not be too keen on that big a vehicle. The only reason I wasn't thinking of the Baleno was because I don't know anyone who owns it and therefore, have not had much feedback re performance or customer satisfaction. I've test driven the Honda City, but I didn't get the feeling of a lot of space...in fact I felt it was quite cramped from a headroom perspective...given that I have a toddler who like to stand on the seats...headroom is quite a priority.

I must mention that my new vehicle will also be a driver-driven vehicle, so I am looking for something that is reasonably sturdy...since I won't be the sole caretaker of the vehicle.

Skidrock, I don't know about you, but I just go crazy on Hyderabad roads. The complete and utter lack of any roadsense just drives me mad. But then again, what I like is the non-chalance with which the average Hyderabadi deals with motor-collisions, smiles and moves on :-) find that hard to understand...Fyi...I obviously don't belong to Hyderabad, am a Mumbaikar by birth but have lived outside the country for quite a while.

Regards

Ganesh
Old 18th March 2005, 14:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g69
I've test driven the Honda City, but I didn't get the feeling of a lot of space...in fact I felt it was quite cramped from a headroom perspective...given that I have a toddler who like to stand on the seats...headroom is quite a priority.

I must mention that my new vehicle will also be a driver-driven vehicle, so I am looking for something that is reasonably sturdy...since I won't be the sole caretaker of the vehicle.
The baleno is quite a good car...apart from its looks and tyres....it has everything going for it.

But your requirements for space and economy and a sturdy car...shifts the balance to the indigo diesel. Its got decent performance and good FE and is massively comfortable.
Its got its weak points as well....the vague gearshift, not really performance oriented, plastics feel cheap.
But all these quality issues are quite bearable...but ofcourse could be better.

And since budget is not much of a constraint...go in for the top of the line Indigo LX - power windows, power steering, central locking, rear defogger, HVAC etc. Its got quite a lot of features for the price you pay. In other words, maximum bang for your buck.

Test drive the vehicle thoroughly before making a decision.

Drifter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks