Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 12:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Do I trade in '04 WagonR for '00/'01 Baleno?

I was considering exchanging my 2004 WR (42k) for 2000/2001 Baleno. I guess in that range the price difference of selling and buying would be null.

My question is:

1. Supposing the Baleno has completed around 50-60k, does it make sense to go for it?
2. Would the maintenance cost be too high compared to what i am paying for the WR?
3. How good is the engine reliability of Baleno ? I know OHC can go upto 1.5 lac kms with ease. Same case with Baleno's 1.6 ?
4. Having being discontinued, will the spare part availability be a major problem in future?

Inputs welcome..
Old 17th September 2008, 14:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

IMO, doesn't make much sense, unless you really need a boot or the extra power and don't want to invest in a new car to get these attributes.

1. More than the mileage done, it would be apt to know how the car was maintained. 50-60K for a 6-7 year old car is not really much.

2. Not much difference in service costs, but yes normal spares would be costlier than the WagonR. And if you have an accident involving the front, then you are looking at some serious costs for the SGP parts that would need to be replaced.

3. 1.5 lakh kms should not be an issue with the engine.

4. Routine spares are easily available. It is possible that some SGPs might not be available off the shelf.

Unless you have a real valid reason, I do not see much sense in trading a car whose history is known to you for an older one whose history is unknown.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th September 2008 at 14:32.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:54   #3
evo
BHPian

I think its a great idea. If you can get a fun to drive car thats also bigger and nicer for no more than your current car then its a brilliant situation!

Ofcourse there may be slightly higher maintenance costs but that would also be true for any car you buy to replace your WR.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Do check out the following thread. Am sure you will realise that the cost of at least some spares is not much different between the Wagon and Baleno.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...no-spares.html

There is one thing you should take care.
Wagon R has IMHO the best ingress and egress. You might want to check with your family esp the elders if this is your only car.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I second SB. 8 year old baleno would have done at least 70-80K & the initial balenos came fully loaded meaning most parts were SGP.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

DCEite doesn't make sense mate. I would rather say you get yourself a newer baleno if you are keen on one.

Quote:
1. Supposing the Baleno has completed around 50-60k, does it make sense to go for it?
IMO shouldn't be a problem. Fellow member shrivz has been driving one and got it pimped at around 90k odd kms with a FFE and alloys.

Quote:
2. Would the maintenance cost be too high compared to what i am paying for the WR?
Definitely yes in case you need some spares, else its always a normal bill.

Quote:
3. How good is the engine reliability of Baleno ? I know OHC can go upto 1.5 lac kms with ease. Same case with Baleno's 1.6 ?
A question to be answered by the veterans who have covered the 1 lac mark on the odo with the baleno.

Quote:
4. Having being discontinued, will the spare part availability be a major problem in future?
Not atleast with MUL.Availability isn't a problem which you know pretty well. Only that a few of them are darn expensive and sometimes could get you into awww !!

shrivz we need some ownership experience here post 90k kms man. Where art thou ?
Old 17th September 2008, 15:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you've seen the baleno that your going to buy and know its fre aults and have its maintainence records and think its good then blindly go in for it.
The driving pleasure you get with a baleno is absolutely amazing when you push it to the limit.
Ive driven Baleno Powers Baleno and with Stage 1 mods that car flies.
So if you find a good car. then eyes closed go in for it.
Old 17th September 2008, 17:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Instead of going in for 00/01 Baleno, choose a later year Baleno like 04/05. It would be definately feasible. IMO, trading 04 WR to a 00/01 Baleno may not be feasible as the car might be used / abused (?). Spare parts availability might not be an issue as it is from MSIL stable and you get the spares in most of the places.
Old 14th November 2008, 00:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I was considering exchanging my 2004 WR (42k) for 2000/2001 Baleno. I guess in that range the price difference of selling and buying would be null.

My question is:

Inputs welcome..
1.yes it totally makes sense unless you are a Fuel efficiency freak
2.maintenance is more expensive because of the slightly high priced spares.i mean expensive comparitively
3.Engine is super reliable.regular maintenance is more than enough.
4.i dont think it will be a problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks