Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:03   #1

Honda city - should I?

I am from Pune. I drive Zen Lx 2001 (bought as used in 2002 @ 8000kms) model right now. have driven for 34000kms since Oct 2002.

Planning to upgrade to a sedan. We are a family of 2 adults and two kids age 12 and 6. Currently city driving of less than 10km a day with weekend city trips sometimes of 30-40 kms. twice or thrice trips to gujarat of abt 800 kms including return.

I want to upgrade to a sedan b'se I want one emotionally after driving a cramped Zen for 6 years and for more space and comfort. I like current Honda City looks wise and believe that quality is unmatched.

here is what I am thinking on.
* Plan to drive for at least 6-7 years unless I hit a jackpot and buy a better one
* Dont mind buying used City (current model) Gxi for abt 6 lacs
* Spares and service should be available for 6-7 years for this mode. I have seen many first geneation City running in very good condition so belive this should not be an issue.
* Dont want to rush to the garage often with issues. want good quality car. have friends owning City and they say City need less maintenance.
* FE is not an issue since I dont drive much.
* Dont want great features like steering control etc. Zen has nothing and I am fine without these.

Options
* Current honda city Exi - Like looks wise, quality and space and enough features. Inclined for City. new or used.
* How old used City one should I buy and at what price? Any reliable dealer in Pune?
* new City is going to be launched but will be costly. Not so keen on this. Will this new launch affect resale value of current model if I buy?
* i am ok with City Exi as dont want to pay 50000 more for leather seat covers and some interiors.
* SX4 - Rear middle bump is a big let down.
* Logan - Like VFM apppeal, like it despite bad interior but worried abt long term service. Will M&M and Renault marriage last long enough?
* Logan - Is improved version likely to be launched any time soon?
* Logan - Are those odd features of boot release etc gone now?
* Dzire - Like it but rear legroom is not enough (kids will grow up in 6-7 years) and long waiting period. any idea of acurate Pune waiting period.

Logan is VFM which even I like but dont like interiors and doubtful of service.

Appreciate suggestions or views.
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about your budget. As the kids will grow up in next 6-7 yrs, why don't you go in for a Innova. It will be suitable vehicle for you and kids (grown up). The engine lasts longer than expected. As your driving is less, you can plan for a Petrol vehicle iteself. You may get the high end vehicle within your budget (?).
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Since you are ok with the used market why dont you look aroun for a corolla. It is a class above and being a toyota, bulletproof reliability is standard. I am sure you can find an 04 or an 05 in your budget.
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:05   #4
BHPian

As you plan to keep it for 6-7 years, I would recommend a Toyota too
I think the Corolla fits the bill quite well.
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

6 seems to be your budget.
A good buy and upgrade would be a Brand NEW car. Theres nothing better than a brand new one.
D'zire is a good option for a family of 4.
You could get used City(NHC) for as low as 4.5lakhs
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ashish, I heard Maruti is working on SX4 s rear seats and the problem would be solved in new cars soon( though this news has no proper source) just read somewhere. It would be a good time to buy the City ZX with discounts. Wait till 25th ( thurs) launch of New City and then see how much discount Honda dealers are quoting. My advice is dont go for used City and go for the New City ZX Exi since used City s do sell at a price thanks to Honda s awesome resale.
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishn View Post
I am from Pune. I drive Zen Lx 2001 (bought as used in 2002 @ 8000kms) model right now. have driven for 34000kms since Oct 2002.
Wow, 34K kms only in 6 years. I have done 30K in less than 2 years and there are some here who have done the same in 1 year

Jokes apart, since your driving is quite less and you need a large space for your family of 4 people. I think you have honed down to a perfect car ( NHC). It is huge in space, beautiful interiors and decent power for city driving and it could be a slight let-down on highways but i am assuming you don't rip the guts of the car out like some of us we crazy guys do.

Not to mention the FE is fantastic for a car of its size and service is reasonable but, not a patch on Hyundai or Maruti.

In short, used or new, it will serve you well for the next 6-8 years!!!
Old 24th September 2008, 10:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
it is huge in space, beautiful interiors and decent power for city driving and it could be a slight let-down on highways
A bit OT but why do you say that NHC could be a slight let down on highways ? Can you elaborate ?
Old 24th September 2008, 11:12   #9
BHPian

I would suggest you to wait till the launch of the next generation city and see what discounts are offered to clear the current city.This will bring it within close range of your budget.Since you are going to keep the car 6-7 years,hence resale should not bother you.Should be better than a used anyday.
Since FE is not a major concern you can consider a used corolla also.Its a very nice family sedan.With the launch of the Altis,you could bargain hard.
Stick to Honda or Toyota,if you want peace of mind,and hassle free ownership experience.
Aveo is also a nice car in that price range

Last edited by inder : 24th September 2008 at 11:23.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:17   #10
BHPian

ashishn, pls do let us know the budget, so that we can look at the possibilities.
Your main criteria seems to be:
a) Reliability
b) Space for entire family.

NHC serves both purposes. But the idsi 77 BHP engine is not the most pleasurable to drive. It's main USP is FE.
Since you are looking to keep the car for 6-7 years, we can give you other suggestions, based on your budget.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

6 Lacs? My vote goes for new Sedan.
I think you should be able to get the EXi model for a lac+ more in Pune. Right?
Since you mentioned about SX4, I assume that you can stretch your budget to that range. So, new City for little above than 7Lac is the deal.

Why Aveo no in the list of options?
Old 24th September 2008, 11:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
A bit OT but why do you say that NHC could be a slight let down on highways ? Can you elaborate ?
Because the the power of the car is not enough for its size, only 75bhp.

For city driving, its just fine but highways you need more power for overtaking and all.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:43   #13
BHPian

Try hyundai accent. It is VFM as well as spacious
Old 24th September 2008, 11:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi mobike008,

> Because the the power of the car is not enough for its size, only 75bhp.

Well, it is 77!

> For city driving, its just fine but highways you need more power for
> overtaking and all.

Is it a perception or personal experience?
Old 24th September 2008, 12:20   #15
BHPian

Second-hand City will be fine. Look for a low-mileage EXI, the Gxi has beige interiors which your kids will mess up (if they're like mine), and you can always add alloys or other goodies if you feel like splashing out in future. There's loads of space, and your family will be thrilled at the difference from the Zen. Don't go in for a new City, as the intro of the newer City will make re-sale of this go south in the short term.

Last edited by filcord : 24th September 2008 at 12:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks