Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 18:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Optra Magnum or Scorpio????

Hi,

Want to buy any one of these but really confused which one to go for. Is Optra model gonna change in near future?? In Scorpio which is better Crde or Mhawk.
Old 21st November 2008, 19:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Chevy Cruz(?) could be launched next year.
What are your exact requirements from the vehicle?
Old 21st November 2008, 19:12   #3
BANNED

Scorpio M-hawk is the one to go in for, iit has plenty of essential features to offer.
Specially if the road conditions in your Avatar are to be believed, Scorpio would do fine!
Old 21st November 2008, 19:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
The Chevy Cruz(?) could be launched next year.
What are your exact requirements from the vehicle?
Well its a mixed bag actually. I need power, good handling,good on rough roads and decent mileage. Reason for scorpio is because of the rough roads i have to go through each day in Gurgoan from my home to office. However on weekends i love to drive so inclined towards optra as it has power to deliver. Really confused
Old 21st November 2008, 19:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Scorpio M-hawk is the one to go in for, iit has plenty of essential features to offer.
Specially if the road conditions in your Avatar are to be believed, Scorpio would do fine!
What is the diffrnce between the CRDE and Mhawk in scorpio. Is there a really hugh diffrence as there prices?
Old 21st November 2008, 19:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
What is the diffrnce between the CRDE and Mhawk in scorpio. Is there a really hugh diffrence as there prices?
Well not to sure but what I have heard in the TV is that price difference is only Rs.4000 and major difference in vehicle is that it turns off automatically when break is applied especially on red lights and restarts automatically when accelerator peddle is pressed so it saves fuel.
VikCho
Old 21st November 2008, 22:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikCho View Post
Well not to sure but what I have heard in the TV is that price difference is only Rs.4000 and major difference in vehicle is that it turns off automatically when break is applied especially on red lights and restarts automatically when accelerator peddle is pressed so it saves fuel.
VikCho
Strange cause in there website i see a price diffrence of 1Lakh from Sle (Crde) to VLS (Mhawk). Also is it true that in Mhawk vehical is turnd off when break is applied??
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:56   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, what you are comparing here is an SUV to a sedan. Not a unique situation by any means, but there are inherent differences. Shoot for the Scorpio if you are going to travel over really broken roads, need those extra seats / luggage space (though passenger room is surprisingly compromised) and want to munch highway / rural miles. The Magnum, on the other hand, will be better to drive. For 4 passengers, it will also be more comfortable with its neat ride quality & interior space.

The Scorpio has a better engine (devoid of any turbolag), is more robust and will retain its value better in the used car market.

Have you test-driven both? If not, please do so immediately and update us with your likes / dislikes.
Old 22nd November 2008, 11:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Strange cause in there website i see a price diffrence of 1Lakh from Sle (Crde) to VLS (Mhawk). Also is it true that in Mhawk vehical is turnd off when break is applied??
Restart when press gas pedal? What about the AC then? What will happen if it was on gear and you were not pressing the clutch. I m sure there will be a manual override.
Old 22nd November 2008, 11:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikCho View Post
VikCho
i think hes confused with the hybrid.
Old 22nd November 2008, 11:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Want to buy any one of these but really confused which one to go for. Is Optra model gonna change in near future?? In Scorpio which is better Crde or Mhawk.
Both are entirely different vehicles and you are comparing Apples to Oranges. One is a SUV the other is a family sedan. If you are looking for vehicle with good ground clearance that can take on bad roads then Scorpio would make better sense. As to the difference between Mhawk and CRDE, Mhawk comes with a lot of goodies along with a 120 BHP engine ( 5 BHP more than CRDE).

If you do a search in this forum, I a sure you are going to find enough information about CRDE AND Mhawk

-- Wind
Old 22nd November 2008, 12:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
i would go for the Magnum, coz of the mileage, the comforts and the power, the scorpio Mhawk is fine but it sways a lot on the road, specially broken roads, and feels as if the front and rear ends have no connection at all
Old 22nd November 2008, 15:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you want to "play it safe", go for the Scorpio.
GM is said to be in some financial trouble, and from what i have known, after sales is not exactly top notch. Not to say that Mahindra matches Maruti/Hyundai , but is better.

Other than taking on rough roads and more luggage, Scorpio will also prove to be more easy to drive within city, owing to decent torque and negligible turbo lag. However the Optra is definitly the winenr when it comes to spirited highway driving. No questions about that. It will also give you a more quality and luxurious feel and ride.

All in all, owing to congested traffic and road conditions today, i would definitely recommend Scorpio to you.
mHawk or CRDe? Definitely mHawk. The price and feature difference is worth it, IMO
Old 22nd November 2008, 15:33   #14
BHPian

@DCEite: The Scorpio has some natural advantages in city driving due to being an SUV and all that, but the Magnum is a riot too.

I tailed a Magnum for about 10km of the heaviest traffic in peak hour here. Boy does it move! She is a large car, and the driver exploited that to the hilt. Cabbies and errant two-wheelers just gave way; this guy blew past them like a WRC pro. Had to keep my lil Suzy on the boil constantly to catch up with this dude. I would love to drive this car! Comfy, Stately, and now has serious power.

And I wouldnt bet on GM going under yet; atleast not their India operations.
Old 22nd November 2008, 16:37   #15
BHPian

hey friend
in my humble opinion i would choose the optra over scorpion, mainly because im nore inclined towards sedans and not so much towards suv's, moreover the interior of optra are much better and luxurious, more of a family car in my opinion and looks kind of formal/civilized, good buy for city driving, i havent driven an optra as yet but travelled in one , i thought the engine was refined and powerful , scorpion on the other hand is a very good suv but not a very comfortable car to drive around in city, parking in reverse get a bit being used to, not such a refined engine and mainly when it comes to the looks, il pick an optra over it anyday, these 2 cars cant be compared i think maybe coz they are 2 totally different breeds, im sure that u will get better price for a scorpion over an optra when ul be selling it but then again ul have to use it and drive it for that long till u decide to sell it so think about that aspect too, im sure spares of optra will be a bit more expensive than those of scorpion but if i were to bet my money on the build quality amongst these two , again i would go for optra.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks