Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 22:20   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
hi as a person who has driven both petrol and diesel extensively -- both have their pros and cons -- hope you have driven both before reaching the above conclusion.
Yes I have. A large diesel is a lot of fun in the right car/jeep, admitted. But I love the immediate surge of a petrol more than the torque of a cetane-rater...
Old 12th April 2009, 22:47   #17
BHPian

More than two months and nearly 2K kms with my Vista Quadrajet, and I have not faced any problem other than loose beadings which were sorted out during the service at 1K kms. I have no previous experience with TATA but they are very particular in getting it in writing that we are satisfied with the service. And within two days getting call from TATA and even if we mention some minor thing the service people contact me and do whatever necessary so that I give a clean chit in writing. At least this is my experience so far.
Old 12th April 2009, 22:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Stick to petrol

My 2 bits: If your running is going to be below 1500 to 2000 KM per month, it might be cheaper to stick with a Petrol engine. Please factor in the servicing and repair costs over the long term. Most petrols are significantly cheaper to maintain.

Cheers,
Old 13th April 2009, 14:24   #19
BHPian

First of all, I also recommend a petrol car. (based on your monthly running of 800km, diesels are viable only if monthly running > 1800km)

Still you want a diesel, IMO from your shortlisted cars, Ikon Diesel is the way to go.

Why:

A sedan (large car, with boot, a status!)
Proven,
Solid built.
Reasonably priced (VFM?)
Decent FE.
No small small niggling issues like TATAs.

The only con is mysterious Ford ***. which IMO is fairly good compare to TATAS.

So, Go for Ikon D.

Consider a CNG Accent to, A nice car, Super reliability, Excellent ***, Good looking.

Best of luck.
Old 13th April 2009, 14:54   #20
BHPian

Hi,

Use this spreadsheet to do your petrol vs diesel cost comparison:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...DzV5L4P_aCjDfw

Thanks,

Pradeep
Old 13th April 2009, 15:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Navneet - Think twice (or thrice, or therabouts) before buying a Tata car. While they seem good value for money considering the space and features on offer for the price, in the long run they turn into headaches, with constant niggling problems that keep resurfacing. And if you're one of those people who keeps cars for many years (your M800 did 12!!!!), then the cost and effort you wil incur in maintaining a Tata Car is simply not worth it!

Secondly, for a range of 800 kms, do consider a Petrol engined car. Remember that a diesel car is always costlier to maintain than a similar range/segment petrol car. The extra cost of maintainence is only justified if you drive enough to enjoy benefits of cheaper fuel.

Thirdly, dont bother with a boot unless you really need it. A hatch is more useable if you're planning to stay within the city most of the time.

@kpbhatt - OT, but the Ikon is not a low slung car! It has a ground clearance of 167 mm (as opposed to 165mm on the Indigo CS and 170 on an Indica V2). Maybe you meant it has lower seating!
Old 18th April 2009, 00:02   #22
BHPian

Hi Navneet

I own a Indigo CS LS TDI bought in APR 08 and i found it to be a VFM

A COMFORT

Well i have carried 8 persons in a Family crisis for 40 Kms Mumbai to Thane and even on a regular basis many times 6-7 Adults in some decent level of comfort

I have travelled 4 adults and 2 Juveniles aged 13 Mumbai to Ahmednagar last New Year's eve with trips to Shirdi and one of the Ashtavinayaks with no problem

B HANDLING/DRIVABLITY
Old 18th April 2009, 00:35   #23
BHPian

Well i just logged in an incomplete Post .Hope its not an infringement

Well here goes

B HANDLING/DRIVE

Well my missus learnt to drive on this Car

I drove from Mumbai to Ahmednagar as mentioned above via Malshet Ghat in about 7 Hours driving time and about 3 Hours of diversons and Meal / Loo breaks and then partied on till wee hours in the morning

The Power Steering is surprisingly light as compared to the Swift (i td one a few weeks ago and found it quite Heavy)

The Turbo is quite good and the engine is responsive (i out raced a Swift on another trip to Shirdi on the way back from a Standstill and reached 130-140 and slowed down as it was the fastest i drove the car nearly after 10000KM as at all other times did get upto 110 max

A note of caution Please change Std TYRES to TUBELESS as they are safer and the car handles better. I changed mine after 4000KM when finding it difficult to drive at speeds more than 80 KM

C SEDAN VS HATCH

The car is a Sedan at the cost of a Hatch & it looks better than most other entry level sedans

The HVAC is a chiller and mileage is good. I get 13 in City and 18 on Highways with AC

Maybe more tomorrow as its quite late and on the Netbook quite hard

Bye for now and maybe you be owner of new car by the time i come back
Old 1st May 2009, 14:08   #24
BHPian

Hi guys!
After thinking for a very long time and help from all of you, finally decided to go in for Indica Vista Aura Quadrajet. Will book it in a few days' time after tying up for the finances. The dealer says the delivery will take around 25 days, post booking.

Actually, the ideal car for me would have been Indigo CS Quadrajet. But, alas, it is not yet available.

Children were all for a sedan. I was also veering towards Linea MJD. However, finally, head prevailed over heart. The fact that wife would be driving the car in mad, mad traffic of Delhi was a big factor in decision making. Would have been very difficult to keep Linea scratch free in Delhi.

Promised the children that we will keep this car for two - three years and then change over to Diesel Sedan (Fiesta/Verna/Linea class). Lets see how it pans out.

-Navneet
Old 1st May 2009, 14:48   #25
BHPian

nice choice.

If you are going for Vista, why not Getz (petrol / diesel)(recent price cut is there)

or Ikon D??
Old 1st May 2009, 20:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
nice choice.

If you are going for Vista, why not Getz (petrol / diesel)(recent price cut is there)

or Ikon D??
I want to buy a diesel car. So Getz petrol rules itself out. Getz diesel is not available through the CSD.

Ikon D, in fact, was my first choice. However, low seating and the fact that it will be phased out soon worked against the Ikon D.

-Navneet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks