Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2009, 16:29   #1
BHPian

Seeking Fiat Palio Adventure feedback

Friends and current owners of Adventure,

I am trying to find some good pictures detailing exterior and interior of Fiat Palio Adventure (1.9d to be specific). It would greatly help if the Adventure owners can post some pics of their car. I searched these forums and internet as well, but failed to find any. Perhaps my search was just not good.

Also, how are you finding your experience with the car today in terms of maintenance, repairs, parts availability, serviceability, etc., since the car has long been discontinued and virtually extinct?

There are quite a few threads on these forums on Adventure, but they were written back then when the car was launched and love-was-in-the-air. Hence those posts were positive and filled with all praises. I am interested in knowing how your experience is with the car today?

There is a 2003 Adventure 1.9d I found (I haven't looked at it yet but will be doing soon) and want to know about the car before I try and make a go for it. Price-wise, how much should one pay for it today considering it is in "good" condition - both running and appearance?

Thanx!
Old 2nd May 2009, 16:57   #2
BHPian

Its good if it's good

I do not own a Fiat Adventure, but's its closest cousin, the Siena. Both these cars, along with the Petra share common design aspects.

1. Spares are an issue. Normal service to service spares are easy to get, but bigger/important/haven't heard such a part exists are difficult to procure and the wait is a week to 10 days from Tata.
2. It's a great vehicle for highways, but lil sluggish inside the city. It can haul around tonnes easily and do it with panache.
3. The 1.9 is a good engine, but you haven't specified the mileage. Have a good mechanic check up the engine. Those diesels are very tricky and show their characteristics only to trained eyes. I don't suppose this is a Turbo diesel?
4. Most people tend to use the car quite roughly as it has an excellent suspension and shock absorbing capabilities. Have the suspension checked thoroughly for any misuse and unusual wear and tear.

How much is the seller quoting for it. I'd say not more than 2.5 lakhs if the car is well maintained. It has a terrible resale value and cost of ownership is sky high and hence anything more than that will be expensive for you in the long run.

The car does look stunning in red with black ski racks...

All the best and keep the forum posted if you buy the car.
Old 2nd May 2009, 18:01   #3
BHPian

Thanx Tintin! I think I am okay if the parts are a bit hard to get vis-a-vis not available at all in which case it would be a nightmare and pointless to buy the car.

The mileage on it is 80k. I was talking to my cousin and he tells me that diesel cars are not the "leaving 'em in the garage for a while" kind. He says problems will arise with diesel engines if they are left unused for some period of time. Is it true? I ask because I will be doing that in about a month or so - leave the car unused for couple of months.

So, Siena is based on the same platform you are saying although it is a sedan while adventure is a station wagon, right?

Thanx!
Old 2nd May 2009, 18:56   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's a little old, but you might want to check out the adventure review here as well.
Old 2nd May 2009, 21:52   #5
BHPian

Hey Allroad,

I did own a Palio Adventure, albeit the 1.6 100 bhp petrol version. It was a used car run about 40k kms. Apart from the FE which is an issue with all petrol Palios, the car was amazing to own and drive. The 1.6 was a real powerful machine and had a nice sporty feel to it. It excelled in pickup, road holding and cornering. The car shares a lot of parts with the 1.6 palio including some body parts/ lights/ engine and drivetrain etc. Parts although an issue are available at CSt road in Mumbai. The car came with imported pirellis as OE. Even the alloys were imported

I was informed by some FIAT experts that the Adventure series were imports from brazil since fiat wasn't expecting large numbers and they produce RHD cars in brazil. The adventure had some exclusive adventure accessories factory fitted namely : -

Adventure engraved door handles.
Double roof rails
Bull bar with an extra pair of halogens/ fogs
Side claddings

I am inserting a collage of the pictures I took at the time.

Regards

Pashin
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking Fiat Palio Adventure feedback-palio.jpg  

Pashin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's a little old, but you might want to check out the adventure review here as well.
Thanx GTO! That link was useful.
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:35   #7
BHPian

Thanx Pashin! The standard accessory list you mentioned is good to know. Also it looks nice in the pictures eventhough they are samll. Why did you sell your car?

I am gonna take a look at the car sometime this week. Two things really pull me towards it strictly in this order:

1. It is a station wagon
2. It is european-made

I'll try to research more on the 1.9d engine in these cars so I go there to look at the car educated, but if anyone has this handy please do share.

Thanx!
Old 5th May 2009, 16:05   #8
BHPian

While the Adventure is a nice choice, I would avoid the 1.9D but prefer a 1.6P instead. Fit a gas tank and dont worry about the mileage nor the power (min drop). The diesel is best suited for cruising (highways) and its noisy!!!

Reason: engine/tranny spares specific for the 1.9D will be very difficult to procure and there is none to support but may be BOSCH multi-brand service could... other parts are shared with its cousin Palio except for the rear (obvious!) and available off-shelf from your nearest TATA dealer.

If you are inclined on a diesel station wagon, I would recommend Indigo Marina, due to its poor resale you can get a sweet deal!

Last edited by AirWind : 5th May 2009 at 16:10. Reason: added more detail
Old 11th May 2009, 23:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allroad View Post
The mileage on it is 80k. I ask because I will be doing that in about a month or so - leave the car unused for couple of months.
At 80 K, depending on the way it has been used and maintained, it's time to open up the engine. I'd suggest you add the engine overhaul to the budget. I'm not too sure that this will be in a buy and run state. You may need to open her up and oil here and there, change this and that and do those minor tweaks to keep her healthy.

Quote:

I was talking to my cousin and he tells me that diesel cars are not the "leaving 'em in the garage for a while" kind. He says problems will arise with diesel engines if they are left unused for some period of time. Is it true?
I ask because I will be doing that in about a month or so - leave the car unused for couple of months.
A couple of months will not be a problem. It'll be good if you can have someone just start the engine and idle it for a couple of minutes every 2 days or so. If that's not possible, when you do come back and start the engine, disconnect the fuel line or fuel pump fuse and crank her for about 2 minutes so that the oil in the sump circulates. Once that is done reconnect the fuel line and fire her up. Diesels are very sensitive to lack of oil and so special care must be taken before starting after long periods.

Quote:

So, Siena is based on the same platform you are saying although it is a sedan while adventure is a station wagon, right?
Yup, it's true. The Siena, Petra, Adventure and the earlier versions of Palio share some common components. Not enough to to have interchangeable spares, but common engineering and design.

You did not tell the forum about your budget. If you can stretch it enough to buy a Ford Fusion, you'd not only get a newer car, but also one that's based on a newer platform than the Adventure. Though the Fusion does not have the same style and panache as the Fiat IMHO, it's a very good car in it's own right.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Friends and current owners of Adventure,

I am trying to find some good pictures detailing exterior and interior of Fiat Palio Adventure (1.9d to be specific).

Also, how are you finding your experience with the car today in terms of maintenance, repairs, parts availability, serviceability, etc., since the car has long been discontinued and virtually extinct?
I own a FIAT Adventure and I can answer some of your queries.

There are hardly few Fiat Adventure cars in Bangalore and majority of them are 1.6Petrol. Like others suggested, you can consider the petrol version. Mileage wont be less than 8kmpl even with an occasional high "revvy" ride.

As with service, yes with Adventure there is a slight issue with spares. You have to drive carefully atleast for that sake I had issues procuring simple things like brake pads from the tata motors service centers. I found another FIAT service center where it was far more easier.

In 3 years, I have had very minor issues with it, like replacing bulbs, brake pads etc. and recently the fuel gauge stopped working. Other than that no issues at all. I might have spent 15K in the last 3 years for service and maintenance. This includes a synthetic oil change. So maintenance till now has not been expensive at all. But remember, FIAT spares of older palios and adventures are not that cheap. Be mentally prepared for this. One service center has told me to change entire fuel injection pump just because the fuel gauge is not working!! I havent checked this in detail, but thats damn expensive. Now I drive with the fuel gauge in my mind.

Any issue in this car is made up with fantastic ride quality and handling, easily one segment higher. Bottomline, is the car worth it? Absolutely !!

I dont have pictures right now, but my car is nearing 30K km, its high time I start a long termer review as a separate thread.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

I own a Adventure too(Used one)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-updated.html

Experience so far has been nice but i would accept thatthere are some niggles which i have overcome.

But this car is a very nice tourer and suits one who loves touring.

Spares, some if them needs some wait else many are available off the shelf.
Old 12th May 2009, 13:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Having owned Audi Allroad and Volvo V70 AWD, why arent you considering Subaru (Chevy here) Forester? It is difficult to find one and may cost around 5 lacs.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:14   #13
BHPian

The car is an absolute looker for sure and a defenite head turner, especially the red one with those bull bars and pirellis. The interiors are a total let down and completely bland and the rear seat comfort is questionable, but all these are compensated by the ride, handling and the rugged build of the car, especially a very good VFM considering the price tag for this much underrated car. The 1.6 has a peppy petrol engine so go for that.
Old 13th January 2010, 17:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

What happened did you buy the car? If yes the review please.
Old 13th January 2010, 17:47   #15
BHPian

I believe the FIAT Adventure looks similar to Indigo Marina. Its a well built car. As this model is stopped and after sales and service need wait periods for the parts arrival. What do they quote? I feel less than Rs 2.75 Lakhs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks