Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2009, 23:06   #16
BHPian

I am a big fan of the vTECs and there is no doubting the fact that the engine in Civic is a
GEM.

I am yet to write my big travelogue.
But here is my take.

I did a long route on my Cedia Sports from
Bangalore - Thiruvanamailai (Winding and twisty roads) - Villupuram - Trichy
And then proceeded towards

Karur - Phalghat - Coimbatore - Tirupur - Erode - Salem - Krishnangiri and back to
Bangalore.

I went through some

- extremely good roads
- Winding ghat sections
- Twisty country side and state highways

Lost my way and went through an almost 60 degree climb from a street road to the highway
Bad roads with take diversion..

Long story short

The car was fully loaded with 5 people with the boot filled to its BRIM
The GC of the car couple with its chasis and suspension setting is ideal for every day INDIAN circumstances.
It takes the bad roads well and is ideal for harsh conditions.

There are some gripes on straight line speed stability with the stock Bridgestone tyres.

But I would urge you consider the Cedia Sports as well.

Do PM me if you need further details on the same.

Last edited by raajks : 18th July 2009 at 23:10.
Old 19th July 2009, 00:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Can anybody tell me about the rear parking sensor for the Civic? Is it company fitted?
peninsular honda charged me 5k for sensors and a camera(with night vision) at the rear.
Old 19th July 2009, 16:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I've been on the GQ with my Civic fully (over)loaded at 180+. Car was rock steady and my faith in it was reaffirmed when a herd of sheep wandered over the divider and I had to brake hard and swerve through a gap in the herd. I passed the sheep at around 120KMPH. Not even a squeal and the car behaved as if on rails.

The suspension is too soft, I agree. Fully loaded, the car will be very low and there is very little give left in the suspension, meaning it bottoms out with a sickening thud even at the slightest change in road elevation. A better suspension, possibly the entire Type R kit, is on my list.
You said it, the ABS absolutely works like a charm. I've been saved from ramming on to Tamilnadu colourful bus who came on the wrong side on the GQ.

Even I would like to look at a different suspension - not because it is bad, but my intentions are changeing with the car . Do let me know what would be the damage to my pocket for a koni or type r suspension?
Old 20th July 2009, 18:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Even I would like to look at a different suspension - not because it is bad, but my intentions are changeing with the car . Do let me know what would be the damage to my pocket for a koni or type r suspension?
I'll let you know when I start my research in that direction. I need to collect funds first.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 20th July 2009 at 18:06.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:53   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I've been on the GQ with my Civic fully (over)loaded at 180+. Car was rock steady and my faith in it was reaffirmed when a herd of sheep wandered over the divider and I had to brake hard and swerve through a gap in the herd. I passed the sheep at around 120KMPH. Not even a squeal and the car behaved as if on rails.

The suspension is too soft, I agree. Fully loaded, the car will be very low and there is very little give left in the suspension, meaning it bottoms out with a sickening thud even at the slightest change in road elevation. A better suspension, possibly the entire Type R kit, is on my list.
I need to check my wheel alignment, may be my previous wheel alignment screwed it up. At 140 itself I started getting the feel of air turbulence..
Old 20th July 2009, 19:59   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5150 View Post
Are you not happy with the M/T? I thought M/T would be better if you are rev happy?
I love to rev up only when someone challenges my car, otherwise I am normal guy.

Playing with clutch on day-to-day city traffic (Chennai) is painful. One advice I got was to apply little bit of accelerator (take engine to 1k rpm), before releasing the clutch. But its really hard to control, engine goes to 2k, and you jump. If you don't, engine will shiver.

I heard Civic AT is also not that bad on reving.. Switch to S mode, and go..
Old 21st July 2009, 07:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post

Playing with clutch on day-to-day city traffic (Chennai) is painful. One advice I got was to apply little bit of accelerator (take engine to 1k rpm), before releasing the clutch. But its really hard to control, engine goes to 2k, and you jump. If you don't, engine will shiver.
I face no such issues with MT. Probably its the driving style and I,m currently used to all it needs
Old 21st July 2009, 17:58   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I face no such issues with MT. Probably its the driving style and I,m currently used to all it needs
On a level road, won't civic's engine shiver if you slowly release the clutch without pressing the gas ? I tested this in two civic MT, and all has this symptom. Reading some web portal, its seems all vtec/i-vtec are like that.

Also, recently I started observing another problem. On idle, you could get the engine vib at regular intervals. Rev meter drops a little at this time. Looks like its auto AC kicking in. Though it could be expected, I didn't have this issue till now.. mine is at just 10k +
Old 21st July 2009, 18:06   #24
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post

Change your driving style buddy, Have driven 70K my Civic engine has not shivered.
Old 21st July 2009, 19:10   #25
BHPian

I am sure that Honda is about to release a new variant since this was the same thing which happened when they were releasing the new City.

I was in the market for a car at that time and I went to all the three dealers in Bangalore to check the City.Not one of them told me that a new variant would be coming out.

As mentioned in Auto Car and few other websites there is going to be a newer version so if you planning to buy it better wait for the newer model.

Also I saw someone mentioning checking out the Cedia Sport.

It is a great car. Great handling and good fun to drive. As you have mentioned your driving style is kinda of in the 'faster lane' , it would make sense to atleast give it a try.

Only downside , as far as I am aware , would be the A.S.S
Old 21st July 2009, 23:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
...Not one of them told me that a new variant would be coming out.
Its like pulling teeth! I consider almost all sales guys devious and out to getcha unless they prove me wrong!

Quote:
...there is going to be a newer version so if you planning to buy it better wait for the newer model.
Seeing all the pics online, I am actually not too crazy about the new changes. One of my fav features was the round 'afterburner' (their words not mine) tail lights. Anyway its only cosmetic changes anyways and the interior and tech is exactly the same

Quote:
...Only downside , as far as I am aware , would be the A.S.S
As a long suffering Skoda owner, I crave some good A.S.S.
I am extremely jealous of my wife who has her alto, the maruti workshop here is open on a Sunday and they did a full service too!
But I am a bit miffed with them bcos the service 'advisor' pushed me into the changing the oil to synthetic that too at the 2nd free service and the car has only run 1200 km!
I got to know I was gypped thanks to team-bhp! I hope its not a major boo-boo
Old 31st July 2009, 07:07   #27
BHPian

Have booked a "alabaster silver" Civic V M/T. Apparently the only V M/T available! Should get the delivery in a few days. More to follow in the correct section! Hope its not a lemon
Old 31st July 2009, 14:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Make sure you tell the salesman to call you the moment that car rolls off the truck. Print out the Team-BHP PDI checklist and go inspect the car inside out. After and only after you are satisfied, let them register the car in your name.

Following that procedure should keep any bad apples at bay.
Old 31st July 2009, 14:53   #29
BHPian

TBHP PDI.doc on my desktop and on my mobile ready for instant reference!!

After reading all the stories I am getting really paranoid about getting a lemon, I'll have my driver go over the car with a fine tooth comb. Anything specific I should look out for. A friend of mine suggested it would be very difficult for them to fiddle with the odometer as it is digital, true?

Have been researching sunfilm the past few days, i think thats is the only thing missing on the 'V'. Rear parking sensor free from peninsular.
I have decided against the front windscreen film. The Llumar guy is all for it and the 3M guy against it!
I saw and liked the 3M CR50. Waiting for the Llumar guy to see the AIR60 and PP60/50
Old 31st July 2009, 16:16   #30
BHPian

pdate: Couldn't edit the previous post.

Saw the Llumar guy, seemed kind of shifty. He kept trying to push the Steel series Grey 70 for about Rs. 4000. When I asked him about warranty card, he said no card but they would be responsible for any problem or something to that effect. BS Alert on!
From the catalog I liked the PP70 but seems to have a metallic finish plus lot of unconfirmed chatter about the metallized films.
The Air75 was also nice but has a greenish tinge as was the AquaCool70 is slightly bluish. Neither of which i think would go very well with silver car. Also I asked him about installation and whether the rear glass would be done as a single sheet, he was like, that takes some specialized equipment and would cost another 2500 xtra!!

Looks like i will be going with the 3M CR70 after all for about 13k for sides/rear.

ImmortalZ, hoping you will read this and is that a good price? Does the Civic have factory tinted/shielding windows like my old octavia? Any other must have accessories?

I find it strange that an ashtray and a lighter need to be added on for about 2k. Trying to get it into the freebies!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks