Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 18:04   #1

2002 OHC Automatic - Advice please

Hi All,
I have been looking around for a used Automatic Transmission car (I am partially disabled, after being in an accident, ironically, while sitting in a taxi. This means that I necessarily need an Automatic). Have got an offer for a 2002 model Honda City. Some advice on the following will be highly appreciated.
1. Is this a good buy? Or do I wait for a Santro or Wagon R AT/AX?
2. If it is okay to buy what would be a good price range?
3. Does Honda still service this model cars?
4. What gremlins should I look for in the car - specific issues etc?

Thanks in advance

Deepak
Old 13th July 2009, 18:27   #2
BHPian

Are you specially looking for a sedan or are you open to other cars too?

try the hyundai i10, i20 They both come in automatic versions. If you don`t mind, may i ask exactly about the disability.
Old 13th July 2009, 22:40   #3
BHPian

If the place where the car's gng to be used or parked etc is conjested then go in for hatch. Else OHC is better than any other cars in the market for AT.
Old 13th July 2009, 22:41   #4
BHPian

Sorry to here about your acident.

I am also drivng 1999 City AT EXI.

So far, i dont have any major problem, I remember last month, there was an oil leakage, which is fixed by local mechanic in few 100 Rs.

Lets see your queries

1. Is this a good buy? Or do I wait for a Santro or Wagon R AT/AX?
Yes, its a good buy, but make sure, that car is not misused. If the car has more damage, u have to do frequent visit to service center, which will not suit you.

2. If it is okay to buy what would be a good price range?
check in the car wale web site.

3. Does Honda still service this model cars?
probably yes.

4. What gremlins should I look the car - specific issues etc?
"nothing"

only con is, you will have FE around 9-10KMPL. But still it is better than Santro AT or Wagon R AT.

You can also look for NHC AT (an excellent car with excellent AT), or i10 AT.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hello dipydo

Yes you can very well go for the OHC AT. It is one of the best sedans you can buy today in the used market. Before you make a decision, check the service history of the car, check the insurance for any claims made. Take a good test drive of the car and ensure that the gears shift smoothly. Check for any oil leaks which you may find.

The OHC has a good autobox and I dont even need to say anything about the engine. 100 horses at your disposal. Dont worry about FE too much. Drive your car in a sedate manner and it will easily give you 10 or even more in city driving. I too drive an OHC AT and I get 10.5 in city driving with full AC. Without AC I get around 12. Highway runs have returned 15 to 16 kpl. You can read my ownership review in the reviews section. There is also a dedicated thread for OHC issues.

Spares for the OHC are easily available and Honda still services these cars. Check the points above and go for it. How much has the car run btw?

Good luck with the purchase
Old 14th July 2009, 10:41   #6

Thanks a lot guys. Will move forward now.

@ Abbas - I have a badly smashed up left elbow. My left hand will not flex (bend at the elbow). It is fixed at an angle with the result that I am unable to do frequent gear changes. Have a 2007 U-Va so am not looking for a new car right now...
Old 14th July 2009, 10:53   #7
BHPian

My take is a bit different Deepak.

1. As you have a partial disability, i would suggest you go for a new car as small maintenance issues do crop up in second hand cars and to attend to them would be cumbersome in your current position. Rather have peace of mind i say.
2. Ingress, Egress & High Driving Position would be a lot more easier in a i10, WagonR or a Santro AT rather than a low slung like the OHC. (Though i am not fond of the lousy 3 speed gearbox of the WagonR). And for the ingress & Egress i would not suggest the i20 too.
3. A smaller car would be easier to manouvre and park in tight spots.

My two cents.

Cheers,
Anil

Last edited by anilkalvani : 14th July 2009 at 11:00.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:21   #8

I don't know if this sounds dumb, but could someone please confirm whether the City Exi AT (2001-2) has power steering?

Thanks guys for your support...

Deepak
Old 15th July 2009, 16:07   #9
BHPian

yeah..it does have power steering..
Old 15th July 2009, 16:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

OHCs are having couple of known bugs as it's ageing. major bugs are power steering leak, a/c comp going weak etc. check for the threads for that. otherwise nice car if the history is clean. I10 is not having a comfy ride which you can get in OHC. may be it's better to hunt for the NHC A/T which will give years of tension free ride if there are less known bugs. i think they will fix a power steering before fixing an A/T.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:11   #11

Guys,
Just to inform you all that I have gone ahead and bought the car. Had a few mechanical issues (power steering) which got sorted out. Its a great roomy car and I really feel great being back on the road again.
Thank you all for helping me intio this decision. Seeing a few avid OHC owners/ enthusiasts here really helped.
And adding more fuel to the Auto v/s Manual debate, let me add that I and a few friends of mine are already converts to the Auto bandwagon.
Once again, thanks for all the help.

Deepak
PS - Is there any place I can get an owners manual, car is missing the book.
Old 27th July 2009, 16:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your OHC AT. Why dont you start a new thread on your initial ownership experience and put in some pictures as well? I will close this thread now since the car is bought.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks