Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:39   #1
BHPian

Help on buying a second car

Hello everyone, it would be of great help if everyone can give their inputs on which second car to buy. This one is going to be a sedan and not a hatch back, as the first car already is a Santro. So here are the details.

This car is for my sister and my brother in law. Now this couple is a Doctor couple, and the running on this car is going to be around 1200 kms a month. Budget is around 10 lakhs.

The cars that they have seen so far are the Aveo, NHC & SX4. I suggested even the Verna, but my BIL has heard from his doctor friends that it is not a good vehicle. I have a few friends who own the CRDi and are really happy. I also suggested the Accent, but he said that it will be a problem for him to enter in and out and also the steering might touch his thighs as he is big built.

They have liked the Aveo, cause they are getting 3 years maintence offer as well as a doctors discount of 40k, along with an Alpine system.

I suggested that they choose between the SX4 and the NHC. My sister says that they may have to use the car to go to small hospitals and that maneuvering should not be a problem.

Look forward to all your suggestions in helping them choose a car, as this is already over 2 months now that they have been deciding. Please help by suggesting which will be easier to maintain.

Lastly the biggest point that I better now forget is that, the type of fuel has to be PETROL!!
Old 22nd July 2009, 06:03   #2
BHPian

Do we have any more options left?
SX4 ruled out due to small manuvering.
If ANHC is NOT convincing
may look at fiesta/Skoda/Altis in this order but getting bigger in size
Old 22nd July 2009, 06:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

SX4 is a nice car to have that can handle bad roads fine, but as far as maneuvering in small streets goes, this car is not the best. Neither is G3HC ( ANHC ) the best car here. Fiesta is more comfortable to handle in these areas. Swift Dzire is also a car that will be comfortable. Go up the band and with the overall increase in length of the vehicle, turning in small streets will be a problem along with parking.

I would suggest them :

1) Ford Fiesta
2) Suzuki SX4
3) G3HC
4) Toyota Corolla Altis
Old 22nd July 2009, 07:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Here is what I did faced with a similar choice. Instead of getting a City, for the same layout I bought an i20 1.2 asta and a spark PS. Ideal solution for two, now that the kids are not kids anymore. All that is needed is the extra parking slot at home. I now have a different car for each of my two different applications. You may find that another two car combo meets your needs better than just the one car too!
Enjoy the selection process.
PS: Oops, just realized that these would then be cars number 2 and 3! In this case, the City would probably be the one, to give them the trouble free driving experiences that the Santro has spoilt them with. If the sedan requirement is a must, though I am not sure why this is so. Cars like the i20 and the Jazz are as good as many sedans when it comes to interior space. And feel good to sit in too. I think people in India are still hung up on the third box as just a mindset.

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd July 2009 at 07:19. Reason: PS
Old 22nd July 2009, 07:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are they planning to have a driver or drive themselves ?

in my view All New Hinda City (ANHC) is the best vehicle in Class C+ SEDAN right now in India. It is easy to drive within city as well as on highways, comes with 2+2 years warrantee and on road support, has integrated stereo (AM/FM/MP3/WMA with USB) system.
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just curious - why would one not choose the Jazz, get better internal space and fitouts than the City, and probably even easier to maneouver/park in tight spots? And save over a lakh by doing that, not mentioning the better FE? What would the downsides be, compared to the City?

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd July 2009 at 08:02. Reason: extra material
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:13   #7
BHPian

In my view ANHC would be ideal as it is quite an easy car to drive in city conditions. Also, they can consider Jazz as it is also a pretty spacious car, but it would be a hatch. And both these are easy to maintain and hassle free cars.
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Optra is a good choice too.
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:39   #9

If they have no issues with Fiat, Linea could be a good contender. Sure, it doesn't have the best engine for its class but it has a lot of character.

The pros:
  1. Stunning looks
  2. Exceptionally good ride & handling
  3. Well built (not talking about the quality of plastics)
  4. Gadgets like Blue & Me
The cons:
  1. Slightly underpowered engine. But does a decent job in city anyway.
  2. Poor quality of plastics/upholstery
  3. Tata-Fiat's A.S.S. (though improving now)
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
The cars that they have seen so far are the Aveo, NHC & SX4.
I would suggest let them test drive Fiesta 1.6S. IMHO, it is an absolute delight to drive when compared to SX4 and Aveo. I haven't test driven ANHC so cannot comment on that.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:18   #11
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Just curious - why would one not choose the Jazz, get better internal space and fitouts than the City, and probably even easier to maneouver/park in tight spots? And save over a lakh by doing that, not mentioning the better FE? What would the downsides be, compared to the City?
I was just think about this. If they have considered Honda city, they may consider Jazz as well.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Forget the Jazz. Its a SMALL car at the end of the day and a puny engine. Clearly, they are spending part of that 10L for the status - else they'd buy a Logan with a driver, no?

Why don't you explore the Cedia. GEM of a petrol engine. FUN to drive - even doctors need to unwind. Bulletproof from what people here say.

4.9M turning radius is class leading.

Unless ANHC is what they want.

EDIT: I personally don't quite see how the Jazz can tower over the Cedia in status - it doesn't have a BOOT! And put the two side by side - its still a SMALL car!

Last edited by phamilyman : 22nd July 2009 at 09:53.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
To hell with the Jazz. Its a SMALL car at the end of the day and a puny engine. Clearly, they are spending part of that 10L for the status - else they'd buy a Logan with a driver, no?

Why don't you explore the Cedia. GEM of a petrol engine. FUN to drive - even doctors need to unwind. Bulletproof from what people here say.

4.9M turning radius is class leading.

Unless ANHC is what they want.
For the Indian that is not an auto enthusiast - the large majority - the Jazz doesn't have status? News to me! Indeed, with the more FE engine, the more politically correct decision too. The Cedia is great car with some of the EVO genes, but for most people off the street, Jazz would be way ahead of it in the status stakes. I suspect it is now taking away a lot of the City's sales.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest your BIL to test drive Cedia,Fiesta-S & NHC,if not Linea too.
Hope definitely he would stick-on to one.
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:21   #15
BHPian

Reply To All

@ Fiesta : is also a forgotten option. Thanks.

@ aaggoswami : Sorry I forgot to mention that they had considered the DZire, but for some reason they have removed it.

@ StarVegabond : Hey thanks and yes ANHC was the one that hit my mind but then, my sister mentioned that they had to visit small hospitals in small bylanes.

@ Sawyer : I just love the Jazz, and it falls in their price band too. Looks hot too. But guess what my sister does not like the shape. Man it has all the space, comfort, etc etc ..

@ muralisk : Yes maintainence wise the Honda's are the best.

@ cooldude1988765 : I think Optra may loose out because its bad on millege.

@ nikhilbelsare : Hey Nikhil, thanks. You know what it never flashed my mind that we can even consider that car. Will for sure have my BIL take a TD tomorrow and take this car into consideration.

@ akbaree : Yes Fiesta also is a good car and am sure they have not even thought about it. Let me see.

@ JVH : Jazz is not in the picture for, its looks are not appealing to my sister.

@ phamilyman : So true, Cedia can easily out class the small Jazz. its really a very very good car. Now am not sure if they will remove it off the list cause not many have been sold. I would personally want them to go in for it. Its a gem of a car.

@ Sawyer : Point taken. They are doctors and trust me they have no interest in buying cars to do them up. This 2nd car is like a status symbol to them. MY BIL is one of the best Nephrologist in Bangalore, so even the car is got to make a point when he drivers around.

@ Ramsagar : Yes Ram, I hope he likes the Cedia or Linea. But am thinking that the Linea should again not be a problem for them to drive around in small lanes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks