Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 12:04   #1

What car/SUV which I can retain for over 5 years with few regrets ?

Hi,

This is my second post on a car decision. The process has been going on for a couple of months now and I am getting close to the point where I just must bite the bullet.

I currently own a Honda Civic MT which I dearly love ... great handler, love the snarl of the VTEC and its ability to absolutely drive circles around most other cars on the road while still providing suitable levels of comfort for the driver.

However, I do need to change the car due to a few reasons:
  1. Need an AT - the traffic in Delhi is off the charts and becoming quite unbearbale given the constant construction
  2. Need to have a car with ease of getting in and great ride - as my wife has a back problem
I have shortlisted a few cars and cannot seem to commit to any for the following reasons:
  1. Skoda Superb - great car, nicely fitted out, suspension is decent at best with not the greatest ride especially at city speeds, coupled with Skoda A.S.S not sure if it will be a great ownership experience
  2. Honda Accord - Great car especially from a ride perspective, hassle free ownership and peppy enough to keep me interested - however compared to the Skoda looks like its comletely bare bones
  3. VW Passat/Jetta - great fit and finish, hopefully better service than SKoda though not completely convinced - ride still a bit firm and seem a little sterile to drive
On the SUV side
  1. Honda CRV - AT is pretty expensive and just cant get over the looks - however all Honda benefits remain
  2. Mitsubishi outlander - love the drive, great seating comfort in the front seats, not completely convinced of the ownership experience and resale over 5 years
  3. Toyota Fortuner - looks like a long wait to the AT version and the interiors looks like a segment below
My budget of around 22-25 lacs does not allow me to push for any of the big boys - Merc/BMW/Audi. But could really use some help in making up my mind. Sonata Transform was just awful to drive and Toyota Camry is out as we already have one in the house.

PLEASE HELP!!
Old 19th August 2009, 12:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you want a long term trouble free ownership experience, you have to buy Japanese. That means Toyota, Honda or Mitsubishi.
Old 19th August 2009, 12:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

On the SUV side, you also have the Suzuki GV
Welcome to The New Grand Vitara - Play it your way

Now Reloaded as well.

Exshowroom New Delhi => GRAND VITARA AT 1797000
Old 19th August 2009, 12:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Your requirement number 2 makes an SUV a better choice.
Old 19th August 2009, 12:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

He doesn't like the Fortuner interiors, I don't think he'll like the GV's either

Looks like its the CRV for him, poor VFM though it may be!!

Last edited by suman : 19th August 2009 at 12:50.
Old 19th August 2009, 12:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
If you want a long term trouble free ownership experience, you have to buy Japanese. That means Toyota, Honda or Mitsubishi.
. Also, there is a mindset issue here. The industry would hate to see you do this, and keep tempting you to upgrade. Actually, any of the mentioned brands will be good for ten years, with decent maintenance.
Old 19th August 2009, 13:12   #7

Sorry, did not want you to think that I had not considered the GV - did manage a test drive and frankly its suspension makes the endeavour look well sorted - every single bump filters through - and the interiors - well lets not start on that!!
Old 20th August 2009, 23:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jaidev: I would have said the Outlander. I felt something when I saw her, and even though it may not have as good resale or good service, it offers more features than the CR-V, while being more fun to drive, at a lower price!
Old 21st August 2009, 00:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would also recommend an Outlander..it can handle both rough roads and Tarmac, this SUV has certain charateristics which other doest have..One has a feeling to own it as soon as one it on the road.. plus interiors are beautiful as well !!!

Thats what Top Gear magazine says for Outlander and I agree
"Great steering, great ride, great handling and it's an SUV. If you need one car for all occasions because you are never sure what you'd encounter - twisties, traffic, parties, broken roads or slush, the Outlander is the car. The cabin is class and the music system would make you wonder what's the big fuss they make about the Bang & Olufsens in Audi A8s. the only thing we would change in this car? Nothing really, just give it a diesel option in the line-up."

Source: Top Gear India magazine, June 2009 edition. Pg: 92

They rated the car as their choice (TOP GEAR Choice). I would say Outlander any day... but just be careful the resale is going to be Awefull.....
Old 21st August 2009, 15:14   #10
BHPian

You may include Chevrolet Captiva in your option list too, IMO. Though not sure if it's available in AT.
Old 21st August 2009, 15:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Captive comes with AT and the same version also comes standard with all wheel drive.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:54   #12
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb from the Heart
Accord from the Head
Captiva or from the SUV point of view
Fortuner is not Auto.
CRV is not worth the price.
Outlander does not sell.
Old 26th August 2009, 18:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

AT for you in for your budget and your preferences means Accord only. You have already indicated only one minor disadvantage over the Skoda. It may be bare bones compared with the Skoda, but compared with the experiences here (and with my close relative), at least the Accord would not leave you with only bones and no muscles at all.
Old 27th August 2009, 00:22   #14
BHPian

My choice:

Accord : Anyday the best car in this segment.

second choice:

Sonata AT / Frontuer AT
Old 27th August 2009, 10:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just have try @ Captiva though its not Jap,you may be fond of features that it offers.
It also has a AT diesel version.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks