Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 12:55   #1
JRD
BHPian

Premium Car for my Brother

Hi all

So this is one of the difficult decisions of all times. My elder brother drives a 2004 Corolla. The original scenario was that since his daily running is 100 to 120km a day we decided to get a diesel car (budget 6Lacs) for daily runs and after a year or two replace the corolla to d segment car.

The hunt started with swifts, ritzs and ikons. Dad is involved quite heavily for the first time in all these years. Here were the choices:
1. Swift/Dzire vdi
2. Ritz D
3. Ikon D
All of them failed miserably when dad experienced the TD and hilarious comments like "bullock cart with wheel caps","obese version of wagon r" and "our 800 had better kit than this" were made with the sales guy in the car.

So clearly the 6Lac budget was not working. I was asked to give options in the range of 8-8.5Lacs (No Hyundai/ford/skoda) as instructed by dad and bro due to personal experiences against brands. I made a cool presentation like i did in design school without the honda bunch in there.
Result -FAIL with a big F.

Was asked to make another search for cars in the range of 10-14Lacs with no Ford/Hyundai/Skoda. Overall result borderline pass.

So still its not clear and everyone is in a big confusion. Till now here are the options and budget has been stretched to 20L Max (only for Camry n Accord with discounts ofcourse). Here are the contenders:

1. Civic
2. jazz
3. City a/t
4. Scorpio vlx
5. Innova
6. Accord or Camry (if heavy discounts offered)

Need help from you guys to choose the best car (no Hyundai/ford/skoda) with the following requirement being:
1. Car must have a good image since brother is already driving a corolla and the new car should not be a demotion from the corolla.
2. Feature packed, comfortable to drive
3. good A.s.s.

I am not mentioning performance as that will be standard in the bunch that is in consideration.

Thanks in advance.
Janmejay (JRD)
Old 31st August 2009, 13:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Corrola Altis s a good option, and if you wait a few months the diesel that is expected will be perfect for a 100+kms a day use car. Well within budget too.
Old 31st August 2009, 13:31   #3
BHPian

If Toyota Innova could be on the wishlist why not a Fortuner? I guess he should give it a dekho too.
Old 31st August 2009, 14:00   #4
BHPian

Since you want image and have power taken for granted, Jazz is out, since it is atleast 2 classes down Corolla, and with 89 BHP, I am not sure how much you are gonna enjoy it. It is just 8 lacs!

If you can get an Accord for your budget, that's the best!
If not Accord, Civic would be a great choice too.

Why don't you add the WolksWagon Jetta to your list. It has a diesel variant as well. And it has swept many people off their feet with its amazing build quality.

For SUV, I think Chevy Captiva can be given a try as well.

Let me list my choices in order
1. Accord
2. Jetta
3. Civic
4. Captiva

PS: Getting a Camry <20 l might be almost impossible

Last edited by rageshgr : 31st August 2009 at 14:02.
Old 31st August 2009, 14:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
So still its not clear and everyone is in a big confusion. Till now here are the options and budget has been stretched to 20L Max (only for Camry n Accord with discounts ofcourse). Here are the contenders:

1. Civic
2. jazz
3. City a/t
4. Scorpio vlx
5. Innova

Need help from you guys to choose the best car (no Hyundai/ford/skoda) with the following requirement being:
1. Car must have a good image since brother is already driving a corolla and the new car should not be a demotion from the corolla.
2. Feature packed, comfortable to drive
3. good A.s.s.

I am not mentioning performance as that will be standard in the bunch that is in consideration.
Since the car should not be a demotion from Corolla
1. Civic (Not a real upgrade)
2. jazz (This is also a downgrade)
3. City a/t (This is also a downgrade)
4. Scorpio vlx (Definately not an upgrade)
5. Innova (better if chauffer driven)

Why don't you check out the VW family. Their cars will satisfy your points 1 & 2 while point 3 might not be comparable to a Toyota's A.S.S.

If it does not have to be a sedan, the Toyota Fortuner is a good buy.
Old 31st August 2009, 17:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

8-10 lakhs- civic
above 10 - Accord/ Fortuner.

dont get confused and confuse your brother.

honda and toyota have a good A.S.S and japanese reliability with low mantainance.

remember you visit showroom ONLY once, but A.S.S regularly!
Old 31st August 2009, 17:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
8-10 lakhs- civic
above 10 - Accord/ Fortuner.
+1 to that. Also, why dont you add Linea to the equation? It does look and feel premium to a large extent ( cheaper than a Civic too)
Old 31st August 2009, 17:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Innova V > Jetta diesel > others

I know Hyundai cant be listed still; check out Embera CRDi. Awesome package for the price.
Old 31st August 2009, 17:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Since your budget is 20L, the best choice is the Accord 2.4 l. Fortuner is a good competitor to the Accord, but huge wait lists now. I would not even think beyond these two. Camry will hardly have discounts sufficient to put it around 20 lakhs.
Old 31st August 2009, 18:00   #10
BHPian

I would suggest the following
VW Jetta
Inova/Scorpio
Old 31st August 2009, 18:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand this - you have barely gone into the reasons of disqualification of the 6L budget cars.

You will get guys here giving their opinions rather than contextual advice. (1/2/3 are met by most cars except Skoda failing on 3)

As it stands now, its going to be all over the park!
Old 31st August 2009, 18:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

By seeing your budget extension, forget everything else and just book the Toyota Fortuner without further any discussion.
Old 31st August 2009, 19:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is when we come to know that there are not very good options in diesel above Rs. 15 lakh from Japs. Only Skoda ( VW group ), chevrolet and now Toyota with fortuner.

My opinion is :

1) Fortuner. I am not sure if you will have to wait ( whether waiting list is there ) or not.
2) Toyota Innova.
3) Chevy Cruze. Coming next month mostly ( from industry reports ). I am already spotting car with families and without camouflage ( just like I had seen UVA, Corsa Swing and Magnum version of Optra ).
4) Chevy Captiva.
5) Chevrolet Optra Magnum.
Old 31st August 2009, 19:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

My choices would be.

#1 VW Jetta TDI
#2 Chevy Cruze (coming next month apparently).
Old 1st September 2009, 10:53   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If your brother has the budget for an Accord, then he most certainly can buy the Fortuner too. Running of 120 kms a day = diesel. Thus, in order of priority:

1. Fortuner
2. Jetta
3. Sonata CRDi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks