New Octavia Ambiente 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2005, 16:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Corolla for Used/New Octavia D?

Hey guys,
recently our Corolla's alignment went out for the 3rd time causing the tyres to go bald on the inside.
As the car has been banged 3 times the whole suspension (front and rear) are messed up causing the mis alignment.
The repairs will cost 40k upwards for sure as the arms and all have twisted.
Now, even the guys at the garage say it is use less spending money on the car and we should replace it.
The car is currently fetching 7.5L and after paying off loan it comes to 5L
A new Octavia Diesel is for 13L on road after disc. + 4% of 8L wheras an used octy with low mileage can be had for 10 - 11L + 16% of 5 - 6L.
Now, guys
what seems to be the better option?
Keep corolla, get it repaired and sell after 3 years or get an Octavia and keep for 5 years?
Take depreciation to be 50K per year.
And what would be the resale of Octavia 5 years from now?
Because in the end, dad would not like to spend more then 50K overall after selling of the car.
please advise.
Old 20th July 2005, 16:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you are planning to sell the car, you'd still have to repair it and then sell it right?
Is the guy ready to pay 7.5L in its current unrepaired condition?!?
Old 20th July 2005, 16:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Ya he is.
Surprisingly, this is coming from a dealer.
How much should i really expect?
Old 20th July 2005, 19:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Never heard of anyone selling a car just cause there is 50,000Rs worth work to be done on it. Anyways i guess you should try and get insurance if u can. Considering a used octi is rather foolish unless you know the person selling it, maybe the car you buy was in a worse condition than what yours has been. Frankly i think its really not worth selling a 10lakh rupee car just for saving 50k
Old 20th July 2005, 20:43   #5
BHPian

i am with Sahil, in this point. i think the workshop guys are just trying to fool u off ur money, just coz of rs.50,000 repair, one doesnt decide to sell off his car! (unless its a M.800, coz then 50,000 spells major repairs). Assuming u have bought the Corolla a brand new, u are losing a lot on the car selling it away now. rather get the repair done and keep it for 3 more years. The corolla is a good car, worldwide accepted. those repairs u will get done on them, aint gonna dampen ur corolla's spirits for good! so yea, REPAIR AND KEEP!

Else, if u are totally bent upon selling it away, and going for a new car, then u gotta keep in mind, a new car is always a new car, a used , will always be used, and u will never be 101% satisfied with it putting ur money on it. I suggest, u go for a new Octavia, and keep that for a good 5 years, trouble free! coz, Octavia is a very high maintence car, so best to go for a new one, with full warranty. Unless, u are able to bag a sparingly driven Octavia, meaning something driven less than a 1,000 kms, and which is just a couple of months old, coming to u at atleast 1.5 to 2 lakhs less then onroad price of a new one, then go for a used.

hope this helps...
Old 21st July 2005, 00:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
Thanks for your replies.
Thought about what you said.
The reason i was in doubt was because the car has been banged thrice.
But we are sending it for repairs tomorrow and it should be ready in a week.
Putting 205/55/R15 bridgestone Potenza GIII when we get it.
Mods,
Please close this thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks